Author Topic: My First Range Report  (Read 8344 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
My First Range Report
« on: August 22, 2004, 10:23:32 PM »
Took the R-9s to the range today.  I am very impressed.  ;D

I shot 80 rounds of Winchester White Box 115g FMJ and 20 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124g JHP.  No failures or stoppages of any kind.  Very good accuracy.  I am a happy guy.

Recoil was clearly sharp.  I found the trigger guard would often strike my trigger finger on the recoil impuse -- which stings a bit at times.  I knew I had been shooting after finishing 100 rounds.

Here is a target showing 6 rounds of slow fire at 21 feet (long range for defensive purposes) with the Gold Dots:

And, here is a target showing 6 rounds of extreme rapid fire (as fast as I could pull the trigger, no sight picture after first round) at 10 feet with the Gold Dots:

I think she is ready for defensive duty, although I will shoot another 50 rounds or so on Tuesday night.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline FJC

• Expert
Re: My First Range Report
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 10:55:35 PM »
Do your targets normally tend to rip a bit like that on some shots, or is something going on here (dare I mention the "K" word)?

I'm talking about the shot just to the left of the X in the first picture.  And in the second picture, the one that is just above and to the left of the X, the one a little bit above the "10", and the upper-most shot.
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 11:29:13 PM »
Heh, heh... I knew someone would say that.  I don't think that is keyholing because the holes are otherwise round.  One thing to note -- the carboard backer had been up for 60+ rounds and was well shot out by that time (especially around the 10 and X rings!) and provided little support to the target face.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 08:19:11 AM »
Well, I asked mainly to nip it in the bud.  I've used targets in the past that would behave like that (generally that heavily recycled stuff, or somewhat moist targets, and with no backings).

When my R9 shows up (oh, the wait!) I think I'll do some comparision tests - the same ammo on the same target, some out of the R9s, others out of another 9mm, just to try to lay this to rest.
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 11:08:28 AM »
That's a good first target, hope I can do as well.
RJ=

Offline gunner930

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 12:26:13 PM »
 That is an excellent target! RJ, you will do as well. I'm no match shooter and I did very good. Even pretty decent at 50ft.
 I look forward to others range reports as they get their R9's.
Reading this has made me want to do some more targeting. Hmmm, off to Wal-Mart for some ammo........... ;D This little gun is very fun to shoot!

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 02:10:24 PM »
Duane ...... thx for that - yet another appraisal to add to the list.  Very nice shooting IMO with lil fella ...... I know I am disadvantaged somewhat when I do test targets because of my eyesight ..... but even so - I am confident that ''in extremis'' I would be causing more than bruises!  :D

Re the ''K'' aspect .......  :P ..... well, without trying explain away irregular holes for the sake of it .... I will say that like Duane - I find that well shot up backing and in my case using letter paper too .. does lead to some irregular holes.  Thick cardboard or similar is only real way to tell if hole is clean or skewed.

JHP's are not that much better than FMJ's when it comes to making clean holes .. only true wadcutters actually ''punch'' paper out.  So there is always a 'tear'' or''rip'' element.  Something I expect... always have.

(<Whisper mode> Now IF anyways .. these did represent any ''K'' factor ... I for one am not concerned in the least.  At defensive ranges I am more concerned with overall package performance in my hands ... and what I consider it can and will do - for me. <whisper mode off> ). :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 07:11:37 PM »
I finally got my Rohrbaugh R9S serial number R173 last Saturday, 8/14/04, the day that we got home from our week long vacation in Ocean City Maryland. As much as I wanted to try it right away, I didn't get to the range with it until this Friday since I had to spend this last week in Harrisburg attending a seminar on Kinesic Interview and Interrogation Techniques. For those interested, the seminar was excellent, was given by the Public Agency Training Council and was instructed by Stan Walters whose web site is: http://www.thelieguy.com/

I fired 100 rounds of Winchester White Box 9mm 115 grain FMJ and 40 rounds of Speer 9mm 115 grain Gold Dot HP. That was about all my hand could take. This little gun has brisk recoil. Out of the 100 WWB FMJs, I had 4 failures to extract and eject. All of the Speer Gold Dots, which I fired at the end after the Winchester White Box, worked perfectly. Accuracy was outstanding with both bullets and there was no sign of key holing.

Taking the R9S apart to clean was tough. It was even harder getting it back together again. The chopstick trick helped but I still think that I would have been better off with 3 hands. My disassembly pin was tight and had to be tapped out and tapped back in again. After shooting, the gun was filthy inside, with the factory-supplied grease retaining a lot of the crud. This may have contributed to the failures to extract. I cleaned it all out and applied Militec 1, which I prefer.

I can see this gun replacing both my NAA Guardian .380 and my Kahr PM9 in my carry gun lineup. My NAA Guardian .32 is still small enough that it should keep its place as a deep concealment gun. Over all, I am very pleased with the Rohrbaugh R9S and plan to make it my “all the time 24/7 gun”.

Here are a couple of pictures that I took. The pictures are of 7 rounds, the full load, of Speer Gold Dots that I fired into the head of a TQ19 target at 7 yards. The R9S is extremely accurate and did very well even when I wasn’t using the sights. The 7 in the head were fired quickly but using the sights.  

I hope that everyone is having a great summer and I wish you all the best.

Frank

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2004, 08:55:15 PM »
More feedback ... excellent and thx!  I wonder - these few FTE's that crop up ... any idea if they were full mag or not .. or even end of mag?  It'd be interesting over time to try and pin down any common factors.

This was new gun so - in theory at least - recoil assembly was ''fresh'' .. and thus less inclined to cycle quite as freely - just possibly a factor ... and the next 100 rounds or so will be further interesting in this regard.

Very nice group .. looks like you tend a tad low left - just like I  do.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 09:14:24 PM »
ShooterJB:
I can't figure out these serial #'s.  I received my R9S in June and the serial # is R34_
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 09:14:58 PM by MurrayNevada »

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2004, 09:51:39 PM »
I asked Eric about the serial numbers, because I have a very low one -- 14X, with the "R" prefix.  

First, there was a frame upgrade early on.  All the upgraded frames have the "R" prefix.  Many of the pre-R frames still exist in a safe at the factory and will be used for the .380 ACP version for European delivery.

The "R" frames started with 101.  So, I actually have the 40-something frame made after the upgrade.  However, it apparently has little to do with when they leave the factory.  The frames are sent out in batches to be annodized and the numeric sequence of the frames is not followed.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2004, 02:37:30 AM »
Thanks for the information Duane. I have been trying to figure out the serial number thing too.

Frank

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2004, 08:15:31 AM »
Hi Frank:

I'm glad you like your R9s. Recoil is stout but not that bad. I wear a class ring and that is what begins to hurt on me. It reminds me of my Seecamp.

So far white box ammo worked fine. I'm debating as to what will be my carry ammo. So far RBCD is fairly high on my list. I still need to try Gold Dot.

I wish that CorBon would load a standard pressure DPX cartridge. That is the new solid copper bullet that CB is using. Early testing shows excellent expansion and penetration from short barrel handguns.

I got a call from Eric last week, to confirm my shipping address for my extra recoil spring/mag order. Once I get new springs, then back to the range.

As to fieldstripping, Eric said that the weird way the gun is held in the manual wasn't done for photographic purposes. It is a way to hold and field strip the gun more easily. I haven't had a chance to try it out, but I will. The last time I field stripped the gun, I held the punch in my mouth.

As to springs, I'm going to a 250 round rotation.

Last weekend, I shot my Glock 19 (150 rounds). Had fun, but I missed practicing with the Rohrbaugh. How did you do with the long trigger pull?

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2004, 08:41:54 AM »
GeorgeH, or anyone,  can you photograph the picture in the manual the George is speaking of ?

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2004, 10:03:33 AM »
RJ -- quick scan for you - and hopefully Eric won't mind me reproducing it for us.  Hope big enough to give some idea.

Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site