Author Topic: R9 - weak hand .......  (Read 2490 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
R9 - weak hand .......
« on: August 27, 2004, 04:18:44 PM »
Wondering - how many of us give some attention in practice sessions to weak hand useage?

I admit - I have done way too little so far but would say even now - it is difficult!.

Unfortunately I am a very ''right dominant'' person .... tho I have always drilled weak hand with most every handgun I have ever used.

My own problem seems to be a combination of - gun's small size - the stiff recoil .... and my left side incompetance! :P

I shall practice more - have to - but I wonder how folks have approached this themselves ..... and hints?  Always strikes me that any carry piece must be reliably useable weak hand .. because you just never know.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
Re: R9 - weak hand .......
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 07:07:31 PM »
I recently completed a 72-hour pistol training program, eight hours of which were devoted to shooting, reloading, and clearing malfunctions with either the strong hand only or weak hand only, assuming the other was injured and disabled.  The reloading and malfunction clearing are not easy to practice on a normal shooting range, as the muzzle of the gun ends up pointing a lot of places other than downrange.

Prior to this training, I had done some left-hand shooting but it took this training to really do it well.

My preferred location for my BUG is in my left front pocket for the exact reason you brought up in the other thread.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 07:22:11 PM »
Bill - thx for feedback on this - and other thread.

I am thinking more here of R9 primary, when I prefer it strong side pocket .... tho that is not a huge percentage of the time.  If BUG then yes ... I am with your plan.  My usual primary is SP-101 3.30 OWB .. very reachable and quick to employ and so indeed .... for BUG category the R9 probably would be weak side... so weak draw and swap to strong.

72 hr course eh?!  Wow - some concentrated stuff there no doubt.  For sure - clearance drills weak hand are far from ''range friendly'' .... I discovered that for myself.  Much need for tortuous gyrations and improvisation!!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 08:29:54 PM »
Interesting. I just did some weak hand shooting last weekend, but I admit, I do it rarely.

Offline Texas_Bob

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 09:17:44 PM »
 Because I idpa at the "club level" 48 out of 52 weeks a year. When done shooting I move to an area that allows me to fire 6 rds weak hand only and 6 rds strong hand only. Indoor range divided by a block wall down the center allows us to set up two idpa drills while leaving the rest of the range alone. When I'm at home watching any TV I keep a "hand-exerciser" by my chair and practice squeesing first stong hand only, then weak hand only. Try it, it helps.