Author Topic: Holy Cow!  (Read 9124 times)

Offline doctordun

• Sharpshooter
Re: Holy Cow!
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2004, 11:00:34 PM »
Has anything further been found out about this?

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2004, 11:04:48 PM »
Shelby - if you are able to get electron micrographs done - I'd be more than interested in further info - even pics if at all possible.

Glad your gun is all but home again.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2004, 11:26:19 PM »
I talked to Eric about this.  They are working on it -- should have something definite to post soon -- maybe this week.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Holy Cow!  New Info
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2004, 01:11:32 AM »
I spoke to Eric today.

Shelby's pin failure is the only reported failure to date with hundreds of pistols out there.  Eric's own R-9 has over 5,000 rounds through it with a pin made in the same batch as Shelby's pin.  This appears to be an isolated materials failure.

Although they think that the overly brittle pin in Shelby's gun was a fluke, they have taken this opportunity to upgrade the pins to a different steel -- 17-4 PH.  This change is effective immediately and all guns being shipped now have the new pins.

To make things right with Shelby, he has been given a replacement gun at no charge.

Kudos to the Rohrbaughs for acting quickly and decisively based on only 1 complaint!

Duane (DDGator)

Offline shelb

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2004, 01:17:20 AM »
Thanks Duane...was just posting the exact same info, but you beat me to it  :)

Sorry for the lack of communication on the issue, I have been moving out of state this week.  The Rohrbaugh's have been great throughout the whole process.  They are top notch people running a top notch company.

I should get my 'baby' back tomorrow  ;D

As for the SEM analysis and pics....Eric sent me the pin back after they did some hardness testing on them, but I am since moved.  I may still get to take some, but a little later when I travel back to Lexington to tie up some loose ends with the thesis research.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 01:18:36 AM by shelb »

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2004, 12:13:35 PM »
Watching this whole thing as someone who doesn't yet own a Rohrbaugh, I have to say that I am very impressed not only with the quality of the customer service, but with the openness about what happened and what is being done to prevent future occurrences.  That kind of openness is only seen in a few select companies.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2004, 12:55:53 PM »
Thx for update Shelby, Duane ..... impressive thru and thru.  Certainly I think a total ''fluke'' failure - one in many many thousands.  

Probably in fact a ''useful'' one too at this earlier stage of production .. having given some useful info and certainly, much better than if it occurred way down the line with thousands been sold.  Recalls are costly!!

An SEM image would be of immense interest to me if ever possible .. but appreciate it might be difficult for you now.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2004, 01:45:31 PM »
I think that's the best possible outcome for this odd problem, and it's exactly how I would have predicted the Rohrbaughs would handle something like this fluke broken pin. First class all the way.  

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2004, 12:02:32 AM »
Actually, it gets even better than that.

The Rohrbaughs continue to feel Shelby's breakage was an isolated case. If, however, any current owner wants to change their pin to the 17-4PH pin, and not use the old pin made from 440 stainless, just contact the factory and they will gladly switch the pins. Rohrbaugh would ship the pin to you and ask for you to return the 440 pin, and then update your serial number in their records as having the 17-4PH pin.

As for me, I plan to stay with the 440 pin unless there is news of other breakages.

Thanks, guys!
Duane (DDGator)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2004, 12:09:49 AM »
Agreed Duane .. if there were a 2nd breakage, and I think it highly unlikely, then I might consider a pin upgrade.

Otherwise ... I stay 440. :)
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2004, 02:20:57 PM »
I plan to stay with the old pin as well, but I'll probably order a "new" pin next time I order recoil springs and grip panel screws, just so I have it on hand and can make the "upgrade." For a brand new pistol, I think the Rohrbaughs are surprising many shooters in not needing lots of changes or upgrades, a tribute to the careful thought that went into their design and production.

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2004, 04:08:19 AM »
My gun was suppose to have been shipped two weeks ago but is presently delayed while they make the new part for all new guns going out.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2004, 08:43:54 AM »
Fudster,   I would make a phone call to check on this. Something is strange .

RJ=

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2004, 08:46:02 AM »
No -- he is right.  Rohrbaugh stopped shipping guns arond the 12th of this month, pending the investigation of the pin issue.  Late last week they started shipping again with the new pins.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2004, 09:00:43 AM »
I'm sure he's right, but it would be easy just to know something,  Eric loves to keep us informed.   ;D
RJ=