Author Topic: Strong side carry - weak side draw?  (Read 8135 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Strong side carry - weak side draw?
« on: August 27, 2004, 04:24:55 PM »
This ties in with other thread i just started re weak hand shooting of R9.  Thought I'd give it a separate thread.

I carry R9 (or any pocket auto for that matter) strong side pocket (unless perhaps now and again - KD belt slide OWB)... now, whilst I give thought to better ways for shooting weak hand ... i am also wondering how to best cope in a situation where for some reason (mangled strong hand probably) I had to deploy piece weak hand from strong side.

This seems all but insurmountable .... much harder than managing a holster draw from opposite side .. the strong side  pocket just does not permit easy access by weak hand.

So - once more I am throwing a problem out for your opinions, suggestions, discussion.  I think it needs addressed.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
Re: Strong side carry - weak side draw?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 07:02:36 PM »
My initial response is that is why I carry my BUG on my weak side.  Lately my preferred setup is my Glock 26 at 3:30 (belt buckle is 12:00) in either a Blade-Tech IWB holster (most common) or Kramer belt scabbard, with either my North American Arms .380 or Kel-Tec P-32 in my weak side front pocket.

Thinking of a possible suggestion:  push the entire holster up to the top of the pocket with the weak hand, then sit or kneel down so that, as you push the holster completely out of the pocket, it has your lap, the ground, or something else to fall onto that won't require it to fall far.  Grab the gun, hook the holster on any convenient surface, and separate the gun from the holster.

Won't work in the middle of an in-your-face fight, but might work if you've made it to cover and your right hand is useless.

Alternatively, once the gun is at the top of your pocket, reach in with the weak hand, grab the grip upside-down, withdraw the gun from the pocket, flip the gun right side up by resting the top surface on your belt or abdomen while rotating it in your hand, and you should be ready to shoot.

In a real situation, you'd probably end up doing some kind of messed up combination of both.

Will play with this later and see what I come up with.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 07:15:58 PM »
Thx Bill ... some good food for thought there .... once I have accumulated some fresh ideas I'll instigate a practice routine.  So far, whilst perhaps doing something vaguely along these lines - I felt awkward to an extreme! :P

One aspect of the problem is - my best carry pants (the Cabellas) let the gun sit pretty deep down ... so quite a lot of digging to reach it!
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 08:31:54 PM »
I will carry a third gun in my weak hand pocket. But usually, I'll carry the third gun in a deep concealment holster worn cross draw. That way both hands have access.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 11:53:45 PM »
R9SCarry,

You have definitely identified one of the drawbacks of pocket carry.  It is very difficult to extract a gun from a front pocket with you opposite hand.  Rear pockets can be a little easier -- more like drawing week hand from a strong side IWB.  

As a back-up gun, weak side pocket makes sense.  A lot of people order K&D pocket holsters for their weak side hand for just that reason.  

If using strong side pocket carry for your primary gun (as I often do), its just a risk you have to take.  All carry methods are a compromise and you have hit on the biggest drawback to front pocket carry.  My advice is to surrender to temptation, buy the mini-revolver you know you want, and drop it in the weakside pocket in a pocket holster!
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2004, 12:06:52 AM »
Hahahaha!!!  ''The mini revo you want''.

Ain't that the truth ... I am all but set to order a NAA very soon .... just seems like it is a must for the ''wardrobe''. ;D

If I get one (when!!!) I will of course need a pocket holster .. well, of some sort.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2004, 12:09:37 AM »
I know a couple places where you could get one...  ;D

You saw the pic of mine with my Ken Onion Random Leek I presume?
Duane (DDGator)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2004, 12:11:49 AM »
Indeed I did!!! :D

I think it's only a matter of time ...........  ::)
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline shelb

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2004, 12:26:02 AM »
I handled one in the store today....darn thing almost came home with me.  That was a close call.  :D

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2004, 10:30:59 PM »
Oh, I forgot another thing.  One possible alternative is to wear cargo type pants and use the lower "cargo" pocket rather than the traditional front pocket.  Its slower because it will be closed with a zipper or a flap with a snap/velcro, but it is easier to draw from with the weak hand if necessary.

Also, you will feel the gun banging against your leg a lot more then walking...

Duane (DDGator)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2004, 10:36:32 PM »
[size=13]you will feel the gun banging against your leg a lot more then walking...[/size]

That Duane is something I find irksome ... and so no longer try that approach.  I agree tho re the ''access factor'' ..... much easier.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2004, 11:22:56 PM »
Consider the primary in the strong side front pocket, and the backup on the inside of the weak side ankle.

This way, you can have your hand casually resting on your primary if you anticipate trouble.  You can get to your backup with your strong hand if you are in a car wearing a seat belt.

To draw from the ankle holster with the weak hand, just rotate your leg outward, grab the gun upside-down, pull the gun from the holster, and rotate it right side up while resting the top surface on your belt.

The problem with this approach is that really good ankle holsters for really small guns are scarcer than hen's teeth.

Or consider a neck holster for the backup.  These should be almost as easy to draw from weak hand as strong hand.

With your primary gun on your strong side, consider a thumb-opening folder clipped to your weak side pocket, or if legal in your jurisdiction, a fixed blade on your weak side.  If your need for a backup weapon occurs up close, as it probably will, a knife is an excellent choice.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2004, 11:27:29 PM »
Bill .. more useful input and thx.

I do find my ''ProTech Outdoors'' ankle rig suits the R9 very well and indeed ... from a BUG POV that is well worth some thought - always assuming of course I have my baggy pants on .... right now it's shorts and often in winter, ''relaxed'' fit jeans not spacious enough.

I guess despite my dread of winter coming ... once again my carry options open right up!  :)
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2004, 11:27:53 PM »
Interesting thought about the ankle carry.  My mini-revolver would disappear there, for sure...

I definitely agree about the knife.  I carry mine clipped to my weak side pocket so it doesn't interfere with my right side pocket carry, and so I can get to it with my left hand if necessary.

I carry a spare mag for the R-9 in my left front pocket.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2004, 12:37:48 AM »
The mini-revolver is definitely good for ankle carry - my NAA revolver and holster is the only combination I can wear on my ankle under a sock that actually looks like a bunched up sock and not a sock pulled up over something really bulky.