Author Topic: Interesting set of Serial Numbers  (Read 4831 times)

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
Interesting set of Serial Numbers
« on: February 12, 2018, 06:58:41 AM »
There's a set R9s for sale on Gunbroker with the Serial Numbers 107, 2107, 3107, and I'm assuming 1107 (no pic).  The weird thing is there are no Rs on the four digit SNs.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/747104831

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
Re: Interesting set of Serial Numbers
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 10:14:58 AM »
Seller confirmed the four guns are 107, 1107, 2107 and 3107

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 05:04:15 PM »
I recall those serial numbers! We were asked to make 107, 1107, 2107, 3107 because this fellow wanted them to be somewhat matching for his will when he passes away. I just read the Gunbroker ad and I guess he did pass on. Sorry for that but that is what he wanted to do. I do recall now that situation. Those are most likely unfired as he said he would be doing. That is some special collection there with a nice story where someone left these for his family after his passing.

God Bless the man for that.

Rest in Peace Good Sir.............

Sincerely,

Eric Rohrbaugh
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 05:09:37 PM by ECR »
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 05:10:49 PM »
I recall those serial numbers! We were asked to make 107, 1107, 2107, 3107 because this fellow wanted them. I forget the exact way it worked but the numbers 107 had something to do with a birth date I believe and he wanted them for his family members or something like that. Forgive me for not remembering the exact reason as it was some time ago and it was not a big deal for me to do for him. He was a nice fellow too!  ;-)

So, that's about all I can add to this story for now. Hope it helps to some degree.

Eric R.

Were they all made at the same time?  Are they all pre-R SN or are they just custom numbers.  They look like G10 grips, not carbon fiber. 

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 05:24:36 PM »
He purchased the pre-prefix serial number 107 very early on for his family members for when he passes on. That, of course, was one of the first 48 plus frames to be made in Farmingdale, New York and then we went immediately to the R prefix and updated frames we used until the end. As time went on, he would stay in contact with me and ask for another R9 with the custom number so 107 would always be in the set. I would grab a frame and place it on the engraving machine and make the special number for him and build the gun. Hence the 107, 1107, 2107, 3107 serial numbered R9 frames. They were built through the years as he could afford another one for the collection. He was a pip to speak to over the phone too. Very nice man, but I'll be damned if I can't remember his name. I wish I could guys. If I had our books I would have that information, however, all of those went to Remington during the sale of the company. Oh well. I did my best guys to remember the story, just not the fellow's name. I bow my head in shame for that. 

So now . . . . . . you know the rest of the story!

ecr
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 07:10:35 PM »
 That little story is really cool Eric.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 07:40:41 PM »
Thanks Johnny. . . . . . It was those sort of things we did for people that I really enjoyed doing for our clients.

Every gun and everyone was special to us.

Such fun we had.................

Eric R.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 06:54:00 AM »
I guess some people are more sentimental than others.  When my grandfather died, he left me his pocket knife we used together when he took my brother and me camping every summer.  There's no way I would put that knife on Ebay. This guy bought four Rohrbaughs, probably for his four kids, and they immediately go on Gunbroker when he passed.  I guess it shows that you need to make your will real clear as to what you wanted done with your stuff. 

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 10:09:35 AM »
I guess some people are more sentimental than others.  When my grandfather died, he left me his pocket knife we used together when he took my brother and me camping every summer.  There's no way I would put that knife on Ebay. This guy bought four Rohrbaughs, probably for his four kids, and they immediately go on Gunbroker when he passed.  I guess it shows that you need to make your will real clear as to what you wanted done with your stuff.

It's kinda sad really.

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 11:06:19 AM »
My estate goes to 6 people. Only 3 are shooters so they will be the ONLY ones who get the guns.Mine collection will not end up onG-broker. I have tried to get all into shooting, no luck.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 07:22:56 PM »
Wow . . . . . That is sad. Oh well, no sense keeping something around you really don't want.  Good Luck with the sale I say. 

Offline Cam100

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 12:25:44 PM »
His name was Roger Craven. He passed away April 8th, 2016. HE was MY father. Thank you ECR for the kind words. He spoke very highly of you as well. I enjoyed shooting with my father very much, and its something I dearly miss. I did not know he specifically set up the numbers on the R9's, and it was never expressed to me or my sister that we keep them forever. His only request regarding the "Queens of 7" as he liked to call them, was that they stay together. I have many other firearms from my father, family guns, that he expressly told me to hang on to. And I will. As far as the 4 guns in the discussion go, they have set in my safe for almost two years. I have never shot them. I truly believe these are something that should be owned by someone who will appreciate them for what they are. Collecting guns is not in my wheelhouse, though I am a proud owner and do enjoy shooting. These 4 I fear would just continue to sit in my safe. Please don't question my sentimentality regarding my father and his possessions, you neither knew him nor me. It's true, I'm new to the GunBroker site, so yeah, I'm a Pain in Ass. For a few of the items my father acquired, Boise is a limited market. I'm only trying to reach more people. It appears it worked.
-Cameron Craven

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 03:32:16 PM »
Touche, Cameron and thanks for speaking up; a PIA you are not.

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 04:05:50 PM »
His name was Roger Craven. He passed away April 8th, 2016. HE was MY father. Thank you ECR for the kind words. He spoke very highly of you as well. I enjoyed shooting with my father very much, and its something I dearly miss. I did not know he specifically set up the numbers on the R9's, and it was never expressed to me or my sister that we keep them forever. His only request regarding the "Queens of 7" as he liked to call them, was that they stay together. I have many other firearms from my father, family guns, that he expressly told me to hang on to. And I will. As far as the 4 guns in the discussion go, they have set in my safe for almost two years. I have never shot them. I truly believe these are something that should be owned by someone who will appreciate them for what they are. Collecting guns is not in my wheelhouse, though I am a proud owner and do enjoy shooting. These 4 I fear would just continue to sit in my safe. Please don't question my sentimentality regarding my father and his possessions, you neither knew him nor me. It's true, I'm new to the GunBroker site, so yeah, I'm a Pain in Ass. For a few of the items my father acquired, Boise is a limited market. I'm only trying to reach more people. It appears it worked.
-Cameron Craven

You may want to add that story to your G-broker description. How does that saying go.....you don't buy the steak you buy the sizzle.

It's on my watch list so I MAY take a jump.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one