Author Topic: First time to shoot new R9S.  (Read 1331 times)

Offline CNO53

• Expert
First time to shoot new R9S.
« on: July 07, 2007, 03:52:31 PM »
First time out and I love my new Pup.
Serial #21XX. Gold Dot 115gr, 124gr (from 2 different lots). Winchester (White box) 115gr JHP. 60 rounds total. Gun shot without flaw. This Pup is a Big Dog in a little package!! At 21 feet shot groups of 6" (I know... I need to practice). One final note: My hand is noticeably sore.

Now I'm confused as to the lubrication process. Oil, grease or both. Which products Miltec, Superlub ect..  I know this topic has been discussed at length over the last several months, just looking for the most current information. My manual says "Use quality gun oil" no mention of grease. The FAQ site says to use grease.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I will carry this gun daily,clean it once a week and want make sure it's properly taken care of.

Thank you very much,

Neal

P.S. Tom, thank you for all your help.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 01:11:39 AM by CNO53 »

Perception...Reality...?

Offline jarcher

• Master
Re: New R9S Range Report , Any Lubrication updates
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 01:10:22 AM »
I generally prefer grease to oil on my carry guns.  Grease tends to stay in place over the long term.  I do add a bit of oil with the grease though.  Oil can wreck primers, so its advisable to keep it away from areas where it can drip into the magazine.

Offline CNO53

• Expert
Re: First time to shoot new R9S.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 01:16:54 AM »
jarcher, Thanks. I understand that synthetic oil is not petroleum based, is this true and if so does it have the same effect on the primer?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 01:17:48 AM by CNO53 »

Perception...Reality...?

Offline jarcher

• Master
Re: First time to shoot new R9S.
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 01:39:19 AM »
jarcher, Thanks. I understand that synthetic oil is not petroleum based, is this true and if so does it have the same effect on the primer?

A good oil will work its way into the metal, real or synthetic.  Some people hurry this along by heating their pistol with a hair dryer when they oil it, although I never bothered.  But yes, any good oil should do its job by working into the metal.  Thats bad news for primers.