Author Topic: Going to do a few modifications  (Read 10432 times)

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
Going to do a few modifications
« on: July 16, 2006, 07:34:10 PM »
After I get 500 rounds through my R-9s I'm going to have the front strap and rear strap checkered to 30 lines per inch (sorry, I just CAN'T do skateboard tape on a thousand dollar handgun) and have the whole gun hard chrome plated.

The hard chrome will help with lubrication issues (70 Rockwell).

I've used Accurate Plating before and they do nice work.

PursuitSS
NRA Endowment Member
Moderator - “80%” Forum AR15.com

Offline BlueGrips

• Expert
Re: Going to do a few modifications
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 11:06:12 PM »
Sounds like a plan! I think you would be the 1st person performing extensive modifications to an R9.

I have some incoherent thoughts about this. The 30 lpi checkering sounds very classy for this type of gun and enhances the positive gripping. It could, however, catches clothing within the pocket, interfering the draw? I am touching the checkering on my 1911s now and I don’t think I want that in my pockets. And I don’t believe aluminum frames can be hard chromed?

Regardless, I would be very anxious to hear of your resulting work. Please keep us posted!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 11:11:10 PM by cuteo100 »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 11:36:42 PM »
I know hard chrome doesn't add much to the thickness
but I would be very leery of refinishing a gun with such
tight tolerances already; but, hey, whatever does it for
you.
I am finicky about my guns also, but the tape doesn't
give me any heartburn whatsoever; it is temporary and
can be removed.  

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 01:04:44 AM »
The 30 lpi checkering sounds very classy for this type of gun and enhances the positive gripping. It could, however, catches clothing within the pocket, interfering the draw? I am touching the checkering on my 1911s now and I don’t think I want that in my pockets. And I don’t believe aluminum frames can be hard chromed?

If you ask your gunsmith to not make it sharp they can cut the checkering "dull". Industrial Hard Chrome can be applied to aluminum with no problem.

I know hard chrome doesn't add much to the thickness
but I would be very leery of refinishing a gun with such
tight tolerances already; but, hey, whatever does it for
you.

All of the major firearms platers are aware of tolerance issues. The only platers I would use would be Accurate, Metalife, or Checkmate. Hard chrome adds .0002, that will not affect the factory tolerances.

PursuitSS
NRA Endowment Member

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 08:52:58 AM »
Would Rohrbaugh's warranty still be in effect after the
refinishing?

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 10:04:25 AM »
Would Rohrbaugh's warranty still be in effect after the
refinishing?

I doubt it. Thats why at least 500 rounds to see if the slide is going to crack.

PursuitSS
NRA Endowment Member

Offline erh

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 10:48:48 AM »
Sound Kinda cool; "But"...
  .0002" of hard chrome is not enough for a good and proper adhesion, & (IMHO) you really need to "Double Check" your thoughts on even this amount of plating "Interfering" w/ the proper operation of the pistol... It VERY LIKELY WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS... because: I believe you MAY be  neglecting to realize that it would (Even if only .0002" is really the correct tolerance & properly uniform @ that...); this would still be x 10 bearing surfaces on each side of your pistol.  
i.e. - Like so:
Insides, tops and bottoms of each of the "2 slide rails + the same for the frame rails..."  
  Just my .02 cents worth, but I believe you might be sorely dissapointed w/ that decision & it's outcome.  Unless you were to "Seriously" hand lap or even "Mill" your Pup,  'Till it rattle's like an OLD 1911; prior to attempting this plating process..!
  I DO agree that the "Plating Companies you mentioned ARE good at what they do."  Maybe, they will shed some additional light & add some suggestions for you..?
  Really, good luck w/ it "Non-The-Less..!"  I really don't mean to be contradictory I assure you, it's just that I think somewhat like you do except I add "Like you said (+) "It's a $1000.00 pistol..."  I'd hate to hear that you end up w/ a $1500.00 "Paper Weight..!"

Eric      

:-/ ;) :)
-E!-
"The Hill", GA.

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 11:48:49 AM »
I do appreciate your concerns but for example Metalife has been doing this for over 30 years. They have applied hard chrome to some of the tightest fitted 1911's out there. Some custom 1911's I've handled (Richard Heine, Autoshop, etc.) have been plated after fitting and had zero functioning problems.

When I discussed hard chrome plating the inside of an AR-15 bolt carrier with Accurate Plating they indicated they were going to open the tolerances up to equal the thickness of the plating.

My main concern is the problem that Rohrbaugh has had with slides cracking. I'd hate to void my warranty and then have a slide failure.

PursuitSS
NRA Endowment Member

Offline erh

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 12:20:30 PM »
I do appreciate your concerns but for example Metalife has been doing this for over 30 years. They have applied hard chrome to some of the tightest fitted 1911's out there. Some custom 1911's I've handled (Richard Heine, Autoshop, etc.) have been plated after fitting and had zero functioning problems.

When I discussed hard chrome plating the inside of an AR-15 bolt carrier with Accurate Plating they indicated they were going to open the tolerances up to equal the thickness of the plating.

My main concern is the problem that Rohrbaugh has had with slides cracking. I'd hate to void my warranty and then have a slide failure.

PursuitSS
I for one am greatly interested in the final outcome..!  
Please keep us well posted and up to date as things occur..!

Go for it Man..!

gunfixer@comcast.net

Eric   ;)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 12:21:05 PM by erh »
-E!-
"The Hill", GA.

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 01:11:46 PM »
[size=10]BAD NEWS!!![/size][/b] My gunsmith looked at the Rohrbaugh and he is not comfortable checkering the front strap even at 40 lpi. He says it's WAY TOO THIN in the center to checker.

PursuitSS
NRA Endowment Member

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 02:00:51 PM »
PursuitSS:

I'm a real believer in hard-chrome plating.  I think I'll have it done to my R9 as well.  Is this the shop to which you refer?  

http://www.apwcogan.com/gun/plating2.html

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 03:37:09 PM »
PursuitSS:

I'm a real believer in hard-chrome plating.  I think I'll have it done to my R9 as well.  Is this the shop to which you refer?  

http://www.apwcogan.com/gun/plating2.html

Yep! They have hard chromed several pistols for us. He's been around for quite a few years and knows his business.

PursuitSS
NRA Endowment Member

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2006, 12:23:53 PM »
PursuitSS:

While speaking with the Customer Service representative at Clark Custom Guns yesterday, I learned that Clark had actually subcontracted to your friends at Accurate Plating & Weaponry that superb job of hard-chrome plating the 1991A1 I've mentioned previously.  (I'm posting another photograph of the weapon just to emphasize the flawless nature of APW's work).  

My first project with APW will be to get my Colt Mustang plated to match its "big brother."  Then I think I'm going to ship them my R9 for the same type of work.  

Thanks for the recommendation!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 01:49:21 PM »
I think you will be REAL pleased with their work. My wife has a Blued M-25 .45 acp Smith & Wesson that was a special run done by John Jovino Company where they cut the barrel to 2.5", installed a crane lock (that was installed parallel to the ejector rod in the bottom of the dust cover and locked into the front of the crane), and "K frame "round butted" it.

To make LONG story short, she left it on a table next to a window that was open..........and it RAINED. There was quite a bit of surface rust on it! Also, I was never happy with Jovino's "crane lock". We sent it in to Accurate Plating and Bob Cogan called me stating they could make it look like it was stainless steel and we would not be able to tell that there had ever been any rust. He also sold me on his design of a crane lock, TWO locks installed in the crane itself and locking into tne area under where the barrel is threaded.

When we received it back it looked like a NEW gun and the lockup was a HECK of a lot tighter!

PursuitSS
NRA Endowment Member

Offline ROKTMAN

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2006, 02:16:15 AM »
Very interesting project.I had a P7M8 nickled by Checkmate and it was excellent.I was looking at mine and don`t thinlk I want to change anything.I have mostly all custom guns ,.45`s (Wilsons,Seecamp,Detonics Perf Center) and a lot of customized revolvers and always customize everything.This would be a departurefor me to not customize a gun.

Let us know what you end up doing and any pics if you can.Good luck with the project.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 02:16:45 AM by ROKTMAN »