Author Topic: Larger carry guns  (Read 18518 times)

Offline jimacp

• Sharpshooter
Larger carry guns
« on: September 18, 2004, 09:25:57 PM »
Ok, I love the R9, but what do you carry when you are carrying something larger/more powerful/or more capacity. In other words, when the R9 is your backup, what is your primary?

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Larger carry guns
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 09:58:03 PM »
Jim ... you may have seen me mention elsewhere .... my primary is and has been for some time - my SP-101 .. with CT grips.  Capacity of course is not good .. but I keep one speedloader (Safariland Comp 1).

Reason is - simply - it is a gun I am very familiar with - almost ''instinctive'' for shooting.  That to me means my 5 will be possibly as or more effective than even 8 .45acp or 10 plus 9mm.

However .. I used to carry P95 a lot earlier on .. and still like it - if a bit ''fugly''! ;D

Recently bought a Smith SW99  ..... and am seriously considering that as another carry option when I am familiar enough with it.  It is incredibly accurate .. easy to shoot and so .. all in all ...... a pleasing gun.  Just 9mm again of course.

I did after getting a P97 carry that for some while ..... which ''upped'' me to 45acp ... and I still like that too .... spoiled for choice you might say.

In the end tho - the SP still comes out as fave ... it ''nestles'' so well under my right 12th rib .. and is easy to conceal.

Here are the SP -  and SW99 (sorry - lousy color balance!) .. followed by the P95 (P97 looks exact same really).

« Last Edit: September 18, 2004, 09:59:31 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 11:48:49 PM »
Glock 26 9mm with MMC adjustable tritium sights, 8 lb. NY trigger spring, 3.5 lb connector, and extended slide stop, loaded with Cor-Bon 115 gr. JHP +P.

This gun is as small as a Smith & Wesson J-frame and when loaded weighs no more than an all-steel J-frame.  It can be carried in the front pocket of a pair of relaxed fit dress slacks with a Kramer pocket holster, although I usually prefer to carry it IWB.  It is more accurate and easier to shoot than many full-size guns, although the short grip takes some getting used to.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline jimacp

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 12:47:34 AM »
I like and own the Glock 20, 23 and 27, Walther p99, Sig 229, 220, 210-6, and 226, S&W 686 and 3913, and HK p7,  and I sometimes carry any one of them. But, and I hate to say it because I did not like them for years, my favorite carry gun is a lightweight 1911. I switch between Kimber Ultra Carry with CT grips, Colt Commander XSE with CT grips, and Wilson kz45 Compact. I originally wanted to like 1911's, but bought and traded several over the years and never loved them because I didn't trust their reliability, and wanted higher capacity. However, over those same years one thing  became evident to me. No matter how nice and reliable my other guns are, the lightweight 1911's carry and shoot better, for me, than anything. While I had to work on the Kimber to make it 100% reliable, all three now never bobble. The one thing I consistently notice at the range is that I can hit more quickly and more accurately with the 1911's  than I can any other gun I have tried. I know everyone has their own quirks, and what works well for one person might not for another. This isn't to say "my choice is best" because it is not...except for me. Anyway, while I sometimes miss the high capacity Glocks, Sigs, Walthers etc, the fact remains that i can hit my target faster and straighter with the 1911, so I have compromised on the capacity issue.  It took many years for me to go back to the old, and some would say outdated, 1911, but for me it can't be beat in its inherent "shootability".
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 12:51:20 AM by jimacp »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 01:13:43 PM »
[size=13]I can hit my target faster and straighter with the 1911, so I have compromised on the capacity issue[/size]

There we are :) - this is it in a nutshell Jim isn't it ... we are saying same thing in essence .. but have different platform choices.  As I said earlier, I concede my drop in capacity, simply because of the ''hitability factor''.

I can shoot 1911 also pretty well ... and if only my P12-45 was what I could regard as reliable, it could well be doing duty at times.  Even my Sistema, tho full size and basic .. is most useful.  

My lack of use of 1911's is really because I never got practiced at condition #1 carry .. same with my BHP .. and now it seems too late in life to reach a level of perceived carry safety that I can accept ... tho of course many many folks manage just fine.  OTOH, my P95 and P97 - and now too the SW99 ... all allow me the luxury of decocking and are ready for D/A - S/A mode and very safe carry .... practice with this mode has enabled me to feel sufficiently at ease and competent when I do carry such.

Bottom line - as ever - what works for the individual.  (And pray we never need to check this out ''in extremis''.)
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline jimacp

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2004, 02:36:44 PM »
Chris, I agree SW99 is a great gun....I like Glocks too, except I just don't feel comfortable safety wise with them...S&W99 and Walther 99 feel safer to carry to me than Glocks, but have all of the other great characteristics of Glock...dependable, lightweight, high capacity, indestructable...anyway, its interesting to hear other people's opinions of different positives and negatives  for them of certain guns...take care...

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2004, 04:07:40 PM »
While I do not have one yet, I am hopeful that my primary/only carry gun can be the R9S. My social environment is such that TOTAL concealment is the only way I'll be able to travel. Plus, I do not have a "dangerous" environment where I work or play. But, in times when even going to your local ATM can be problematic and where some travel routes to get to certain places in downtown Detroit can be iffy, I want to have something along. The concept of the Rohrbaugh being a 21st Century 9 mm revolver has appeal. I am also at a stage where less is more to me. I am no longer interested in owning many different firearms-only what I need-and shoot well.Time will tell if it still makes sense to me.
Welcome home

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2004, 11:24:39 PM »
Hi Chris,

The first time you try drawing a gun in condition 1, you will flub the safety manipulation.  By about the fifth time, the safety manipulation won't interfere with your draw.  Before long, your thumb will go through exactly the same motion whether your gun has a safety or not, dependably every time.  Wiping off the safety is the simplest part of the drawstroke.

Start practicing by disengaging the safety when the gun is pointed downrange.  Later, move to disengaging as soon as the gun clears the holster.

I think you'll find, as some of us have, that there is NOTHING that can place a faster, more accurate, harder-hitting first shot on target than a .45 1911 carried in condition 1.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 09:57:35 AM »
Bill - I agree with you re speed ..... what I did not mention was that I did in fact shoot quite a bit in old days - club compo's - using 1911 thusly.  I got on with it quite well.

My problem tho is simply one of confidence I think - not re the shooting part - I still swipe a safety almost reflexly so no prob there.  No - it's more a lack of trust if you like.  I am an engineer and have an innate mistrust of many things mechanical.

I know ''in theory'' ... if safety is on ... yeah, it's on ..... but somehow just not at ease with that for full time carry.  Call me a wuss, or paranoid .... just cannot get at ease, and so this is more the reason why I stick to D/A - S/A when auto's are in the carry frame.

For you and others who manage this for carry - you are I am sure about the quickest from draw to first shot .. and an accurate one at that ... no dispute on that score!! :D
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2004, 11:17:39 AM »
Hi Chris,

My early model Para P12 has a Wolf 24 lb. recoil spring, 10 percent extra power magazine springs for it's five magazines, and a Wolf spring in the Slide Stop/Safety plunger assembly. It works pretty well. For the modest price of the springs you should see how they affect your P12's depedibility. I also added Trijicon night sights, an ambidextrous safety, and an Ed Brown beavertail grip safety to mine. It carries well in a Kramer MSP holster. I like it better than the Para Limited series guns that I own.

Frank
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 11:18:33 AM by shooterjb »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2004, 01:07:25 PM »
Frank - hmmm you have gotten me thinking .. usefully!  That 24# spring .. how does that rating compare with the std.?  I think I will try some mods like you . sounds useful.

Where do you go for Wolff springs?
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2004, 02:02:38 PM »
Welcome home

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2004, 02:58:07 PM »
Thx Dick - will check it out.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Meggacatz

• Proud Daddy!!!
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2004, 11:37:32 PM »
Gotta' carry an approved pistol at work. That includes basically no mods or extras. I have a pair of G33s and a P32 for potential problems. Rohrbaugh &/or the P32 come with the rest of the time.
They ain't a pretty bunch but I don't feel lacking.
Keep watching, I'm bound to do something stupid again.
R9 #11x

Offline twostar

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2005, 01:59:16 PM »
The 1911 .45 cal. is still the king in my mind (some may disagree) and it is now made in some light, comfortable carry packages.  I liked my lightweight Colt officers model but the Para Ord Warthog is really nice.

If I know I'm going into a serious social situation, I'm taking a shotgun, personally.  But, if it has to be a handgun, the .45 is my choice, and a single action 1911 style gun/trigger is definitely my choice.

The Rohrbaugh looks wonderful.  I hope to find one this week end.  But, to me, it's the kind of gun to carry when you really don't want to carry a gun.
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.