Author Topic: My handguns  (Read 32647 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Re: My handguns
« Reply #120 on: June 18, 2006, 06:04:48 PM »
I have the same model -- I've been very happy with it -- shot about 1500 rounds through it, had a couple stovepipes on the first day, and that was it -- it wears in quite a bit.  Keep an eye on your recoil springs -- my manual says to change them at 2000 rounds, but I started to have reliability issues at 1000 rounds, which went away when I put in a wolff spring set.  Its a pretty addictive gun to shoot, you'll go through 500 rounds pretty quick.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #121 on: June 18, 2006, 10:39:49 PM »
Aglifter

The Kimber manual now says to change the recoil spring at 800 rounds.

I decided to use the Wilson mag because of concerns of damage to the feed ramp using the "issue" mag after firing the last round -- I read about this in a 1911 forum.

What mag are you using and does your feed ramp look ok after 1500 rounds?

How you define, "it wears in quite a bit"?  Do you mean visable wear?

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 10:46:30 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #122 on: June 19, 2006, 02:54:44 AM »
Mine definately showed plenty of visible wear.  I use all kinds of mags -- Kimber, prior to the two step design, mecgars, mccormicks -- it was always my briefcase gun -- I kept my 642 on me prior to getting the pup, and I never had any reliability issues other than the recoil spring.  It has some wear on the slide rails, and on the sides of the feed ramp, but not in the middle of it -- again, it hasn't changed since the first 500 rounds, so it's just a little polishing.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #123 on: June 19, 2006, 11:51:10 PM »
Thanks!

If you use JHP with this Kimber what ammo brand do you find that works best?
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #124 on: June 22, 2006, 03:07:50 AM »
All I ever used in it was hydrashocks.  I never treated it that seriously as a carry gun -- I should have, but I didn't.  Now, it's just a toy.

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #125 on: June 22, 2006, 08:33:49 AM »
Nice Kimber!  I am trying to convince this guy I met at my local gun shop to sell me his Kimber 10mm, but I think he was having second thoughts.  My friend who works there said he would talk to him.  We'll see.  I have dropped my slide from the SAS off to have them install the rear night sights.  I should then be able to confidently put it into daily carry while not in the office.  

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #126 on: July 21, 2006, 08:55:23 AM »
Well, new addition arrived last week.  My lady decided she would like to get a glock for the next class we are taking in September.  I think she just wanted to fit in with the rest of the class since everyone seemed to be using glocks at the last one she took.  I didn't care about the reason, as long as she is willing to shoot a 9mm over her .380 I was all for it.  So, we went and looked at the Glock 19, XD9 sub-compact, HK, and Sig.  This is what she decided on;

She got herself a Sig 239 two-tone with the DAK trigger and night sights already installed.  Add a pair of Hogue grips (man what a difference they make with this gun) and a couple extra mags and she is all set.  Well, almost.  We are waiting for her carry purse to arrive.  I know off body carry isn't ideal, but I feel it is better than nothing since she won't dress around the gun.  I am also going to change my holster order with Mr. Del Fatti to his holster designed for women, SLP/F so she will have a nice holster for it, man I must be in love to do that after the year plus waiting list I've been on.:)  
We took it to the range last weekend and after 232 rounds, 4 mags of gold dots and the rest FMJ, she was looking for more ammo.  I guess I should have brought more.  Happiness is seeing your woman excited with shooting a new gun.  She was even interested in how to clean it. :o  ;D

Offline Laserlips

• Expert
« Reply #127 on: July 21, 2006, 10:43:18 AM »
Rocnerd:

Just a suggestion, but if you and your lady ever have the oppportunity please check out the Crimson Trace Lasergrips for the Sig P239.

The grips feel like the Hogues, with the addtion of the Laser.  

Some folks don't care for lasers in general, but my experience with CT Lasergrips has been super.  I am an old fart who's eyes and hand steadiness is going South so I was seaching for  any accuracy help I could get and the CT Lasergrips have provided that, in spades.

I am a believer in practicing from self defense range, which I consider to be 5-7 yards.  If I sense an impending deadly confrontation at a further distance than that I will retreat as fast as my old senior citizen legs will let me.

I am also a believer in that if and when a confrontation occurs, and you have to display a weapon, then you will most probably be looking directly AT the threat, not at trying to acquire a "sight picture".  

With the CT Lasergrips you look at the threat, point the Sig in the general direction and you will find a nice red dot, located precisely where the round would impact should you depress the trigger at that moment.  EVEN in bright daylight, at 5-7 yards you will see the red dot.  

I applaud those who's age, vision, etc. allows them accuracy with no need for aids such as lasers..  I was there once, but I'm not there now.  

I don't know how much your lady shoots her Sig, or how she practices for potential confrontations, but I promise you she will be pretty amazed at the potential increased accuracy the CT Lasergrips will offer.

I've been a firearms owner since 1954.  I've had a concealed carry permit since 1965, and I've owned a pile of pistols/revolvers over the years.  I've NEVER owned a better firearm than the Sig P239....   Not even close.

Your lady, in my estimation, made a super choice.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

"Laus Deo"

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #128 on: July 21, 2006, 11:07:13 AM »
That SIG is a 1st class choice IMO Roc.  Excellent.  Just great too you have a lady wife so enthusiastic re shooting.

I also reckon addition of CT's is a good idea to consider.  I have them on all 3 of my SIG's and on three revo's too.  On my EDC 226, the grips feel even better than std or Hogues - very nice feel indeed.

I only regard CT's as an adjunct - but mine are permanently on via master switch so - whenever I come up for a sighted shot, will see the dot if light not excessive - and so in that way it helps my old eyes enormously.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #129 on: July 21, 2006, 12:02:22 PM »
 I am also going to change my holster order with Mr. Del Fatti to his holster designed for women, SLP/F so she will have a nice holster for it, man I must be in love to do that after the year plus waiting list I've been on.:)  
We took it to the range last weekend and after 232 rounds, 4 mags of gold dots and the rest FMJ, she was looking for more ammo.  I guess I should have brought more.  Happiness is seeing your woman excited with shooting a new gun.  She was even interested in how to clean it. :o  ;D

Roc:

Ain't love grand?  I know the feeling.   8)

Your lady made a great choice in a pistol.  You are one lucky  man.  (But you already know that.)  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"