Author Topic: HK p7  (Read 47321 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: HK p7
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2007, 05:22:55 PM »
DVC:

Congratulations on an excellent purchase, and welcome to the growing club of R9/P7 owners.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline ROKTMAN

• Expert
« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2007, 03:20:02 AM »
Nice gun.I have only one now.Had a nickel gun a few years back too.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #107 on: October 28, 2007, 12:26:58 PM »
While waiting for some custom holster designs, including a K&D Paddle Defender and perhaps a "prototype" cargo-pocket rig from RJ (if I can convince him to try it) for my newly acquired and refurbished P7 (Tripp Cobra Chrome and Nill walnut Rhomlas grips), I'm finding this LCSII holster from Law Concealment Systems to be a practical and comfortable IWB carry option for the piece:

http://www.handgunconcealment.com/
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #108 on: October 28, 2007, 09:56:46 PM »
Like a hand in a glove, Richard.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2008, 11:16:28 AM »
Kevin Manley at K&D Holsters has just sent me this beautiful, monogrammed, shark trimmed, adjustable cant, "Paddle Defender" holster and matching magazine case for my HK P7 "Nds" retiree refurbished by Virgil Tripp:

http://www.kdholsters.com/owb-defend.php

Life is good!   8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2008, 01:45:13 PM »
Richard, now you are in tall cotton ;) 8)   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2008, 08:54:38 PM »
 ;DRichard it don't get much better than that, beeeeeeutiful rig. ::)
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2008, 01:57:26 PM »
Richard,

A very nice re-work you've had done on that P7!  So, tell me -- how do you like the way it shoots????  ;D
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2008, 07:53:30 PM »
Richard,

A very nice re-work you've had done on that P7!  So, tell me -- how do you like the way it shoots????  ;D

Thank you, Sir!

As for the way it shoots . . . this P7 is just about the most inherently accurate shooter I've ever owned. As a matter of fact, it was this post of yours which first sparked my interest in the P7 line of pistols:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Other;action=display;num=1091833953#1

8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2008, 12:08:37 AM »
Wow! Time really flies...

I remember reading about the P7 trade-ins and was on a business trip in early 2004 where I stopped in at Kevin's Sporting Goods in Tallahassee.  Browsing the case, I saw a couple of the P7s.  The guy behind the counter recognized me as I use that gun store as a frequent "pit stop" while traveling down I-10.  Always much to see in the store (I eyed a NIB Galil 7.62 for a year until someone else bought it) -- but the prices are not the best for bargain hunters.

Anyway, I conversed with the chap for a bit -- looked at both P7s and selected the one with the best finish.  I think it had a $725 price tag on it.  The guy produces a plastic bag from behind the counter that has the original issue (mint condition) German holster with the two swivel attachments and a couple of mag pouches, and an obligatory gun lock.  We settle on $650 for the works and a box of Federal American FMJ ammo thrown in and the deal is done.

I spent most of the evening in my hotel admiring the gun (trying to make sense out of the manual printed in German) and searching the internet for anything I could find (discovered the "Cult's" website).  The next day had me down in Hollywood, FL. I was staying in the Courtyard next door to the Bass Pro and low and behold they had an indoor range.  I took my new prize with me after dinner and decided to try it out.  The photo of the target in that referenced post was the first mag full of ammo during the very first range session with the gun.

I remember the first shot...  I took my time and focused on the front sight and ever so consistently squeezed the trigger.  The first shot was a surprise and when I looked at the target and saw it in the center of the 10 ring -- it scared me!  My thought was "what luck".  I then fired off the remaining 8 rounds -- slightly pulling the last two to the bottom of the group.

I knew at that moment I had found my CCW weapon for life.  Yes, it was 9mm in a day where everyone promotes bigger/heavier/larger mag capacity/etc.  But I knew after that range session that should I need to pull the trigger in self defense -- the bullet would strike home.  Better to hit consistently with the 9mm (especially with my normal load of Winchester Ranger T 127gr. +P+) than to have a near miss with something else.

Don't get me wrong.  I own many other guns that I like too -- some that I am pretty darn accurate and consistent with (the Kahr P45 for one) too...  However, when I strike out with attire that will conceal a belt carry firearm -- it almost always is a P7 or P7M8.

That original P7 is still my favorite CCW.  In fact, I've got a nice set of Nills for it -- and after seeing your "spa" treatment from Vrigil Tripp, I may have to let it take a vacation (I've got another I can use).

All I really need is the hard chrome with the polished sides of the slide.  No other real issues to deal with...
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2008, 04:07:40 AM »
Hey Richard - you are the only one I have ever seen with a "Law" holster.  I have been using them for over 15 years when they were called the "Shadow".  
I have 4 or 5, all sizes.
Great generic for revolvers or autos to use anywhere along the waist when you don't have your custom rig yet.

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2008, 11:23:30 AM »
Flyandscuba:

I enjoyed the recounting of your having to use a German owner's manual for instruction on your initial P7. After years of shooting and carrying primarily 1911s and DAO pocket pistols, I found it to be an entirely new experience to learn the manual of arms for these "squeeze cockers" -- and my original owner's manual for the P7 was printed in English. I've since obtained every P7 manual I can find, factory and after-market, English and German, even including the armorer's manual. Those German versions are a real challenge, even for one who used to have passable proficiency in the language.  

Reinz:

I agree with you on the Law Concealment holsters. Their "marsupial" design for IWB use is an excellent example of the old "KISS" principle in operation. When on travel, even if I'm not wearing the LCSII, I usually pack it in my bag just in case I need to change belt holsters. It lies flat and takes up no appreciable space when packed.

In that photograph above of the LCSII, the P7 is sitting rather low in the holster. I've since started holstering the short-barrelled P7 a little bit higher when using the LCSII. To take up the unused space below the barrel, I just insert a small piece of silicone cleaning cloth in the bottom of the holster's compartment. That not only helps to stabilize the holstered pistol but also provides a handy cloth to wipe down the entire rig at the end of the day.    8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Laserlips

• Expert
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2008, 11:54:08 AM »
Laserlips,
I appreciate your humor and your insight; God bless.

tracker:

Hey, I'm good at "eating crow" too....
 ;D

I got my first HK P7 PSP a week or so back and I'm ruined I tell you, ruined....

My "A" grade P7 PSP (seems some regular PSP folks get testy if you leave the P7 part out) came "as new" from CDNN, and to say I am well pleased with it is an understatement.

Awesomely accurate right out of the box, and it "feels" in the hand very close to as good as Mary S. did in the back seat of my 1953 Chevy at the drive-inn theatre in Waycross, Ga. wayyy back in 1961.. Note the "almost"  ;)

I'm so pleased with my first P7 PSP that I'm saving my pennies as fast as possible to buy another just like it...  Then I want one of them "Tripped" and "Nilled", and, and ..  Well you get my drift.

Seriously, a fine firearm, and I'm just sorry I came so late to the dance...  But, better late than never, and I'm here to stay..

Best Wishes,

JPomeroy

"Laus Deo"

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"

Offline garymass

• Expert
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2008, 04:47:39 PM »
I was just looking at one of these at one of the local guns stores but did not ask to many questions and just remembered about some people ranting how much they like the gun.
So I figure I will ask what is so specila about this gun and the way it works and is it worth picking one up? Not sure how old the one they have but it was all black. Thanks

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2008, 07:02:00 PM »
The p7 is one you buy and ask questions later. Some people
cannot do that, however; then, there are those who have
paralysis by analysis. I fell into the first group and have been
happy ever since.