Author Topic: HK p7  (Read 46727 times)

Offline Laserlips

• Expert
Re: HK p7
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2008, 07:25:39 PM »
Quote from: Richard S [/quote

Richard,

Two questions please.

1. Are Nill grips on the P7 thicker, thinner or about the same as original HK grips?  (I have smaller hands, don't want a thicker grip).

2. I notice there are basically two Nill models for the P7 PSP (w/recessed mag release).  One, as yours, has checkering 3/4 of the way from the bottom of the grip up, while the other seems to have "old style" fuller checkering.  Any particular reason most of the chromed pistols seem to have the same style grips as your pistol?

Thanks!

Jesse
"Laus Deo"

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2008, 06:32:44 PM »
Jesse:

My wife and I just returned from spending the weekend at our mountain cabin and I have only now seen your post.

The Nill grips are a little thicker than the factory plastics, but I don't find them to add too much girth to the butt. (My hands are on the smaller side of medium in size, and I am also missing the first joint of my right ring finger as a result of some past unpleasantness. Even so, I am able to control my Desert Eagle .50AE, so the P7 with Nills grips presents no problem.)

Here is a cut-and-paste from the Nill web site as to the choices which the company offers for the P7 with the 18mm-wide mag holder and flush heel mag release (the model which comprises the bulk of the recent imports):

HK035   Ergonomic symmetrical basic version / pp.18-22 B ST stippled, laquered Walnut  102.00 D
HK0358   Ergonomic symmetrical basic version / pp.18-22 B ST Rhomlas, oiled Walnut  102.00 A
HK037   With thumbrest / pp.22-23 R ST stippled, laquered Walnut  118.80 D
HK0378   With thumbrest / pp.22-23 R ST Rhomlas, oiled Walnut  118.80 B

http://www.nill-griffe.com/

I ordered my Nill grips direct from the factory in Germany and found them to be very responsive and helpful.

Let me kow if I can provide any further infomation.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Laserlips

• Expert
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2008, 06:46:36 PM »
Quote from: Richard S [/quote

Richard,

Thanks for the reply..  Rather than consider refinishing my 1st P7, or adding Nills to it I decided instead to order a 2nd P7, and I did that yesterday, again w/Neal at CDNN.

After I have both pistols to compare I'll start saving my pennies all over again for a "Trip to Tripp" & Nills for at least one of them.

Thank you again for the input, and JoAnn said to please leave the keys to the mountain cabin someplace we can find them.

;D

Best Wishes,

Jesse
"Laus Deo"

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2008, 07:20:02 PM »
Jesse:

That sounds like a plan!

As for the keys to the cabin, it would be harder to find the cabin than the keys. Its location is so remote that you really have to want to get there to get there. And once you're there, this bandit and his gang of thieves are waiting:

;)

« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 07:23:56 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Laserlips

• Expert
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2008, 08:00:38 PM »
Quote from: Richard S this bandit and his gang of thieves are waiting:
[center
[/center]
;)

My wife would go thru those coons like corn thru a goose, but I'm too old to face such adversaries.  :)

Congrats to you tho for having such place.

Best Wishes,

Jesse
"Laus Deo"

Offline Jack Foulard

• Expert
« Reply #125 on: February 29, 2008, 07:29:41 PM »
The P7 is wonderful to shoot.  The CDNN grade A's are a wonderful deal.  I was thinking of hard chroming but the addition of dark Nills grips would be equally wonderful.

Enjoy.

Offline Laserlips

• Expert
« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2008, 08:33:44 PM »
It's a sickness I tell you.......... :o

Now that I'm completely out of money... Guess it's time to start saving for Nills? (X3)

Jesse
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 09:32:28 PM by Laserlips »
"Laus Deo"

Offline garymass

• Expert
« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2008, 08:43:28 PM »
Ok I still do not understand the hype about this gun, can someone let me in as I was looking at one at a local store price was 1200 which though was high but I know nothing about this so please spill it. Thanks

G

Offline Laserlips

• Expert
« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2008, 09:17:31 PM »
Ok I still do not understand the hype about this gun, can someone let me in as I was looking at one at a local store price was 1200 which though was high but I know nothing about this so please spill it. Thanks
G

gm:  First, let me fess up I'm a newbie HK P7 owner, but I'm NOT a newbie when it comes to wanting one..

I believe the pistol you saw was more than likely a P7M8.. The P7M8 is the series after the P7, which is basically the same pistol as the P7 with subtle differences..  The M8 has a larger triggerguard and a plastic heat shield in the top of it to retard heat from the barrel to the trigger finger.. The M8 has the "Americanized" magazine release in the grip.(ambi). I've heard the sights are slightly different in width of gap, etc. and I think the firing pin comes out in a slightly different, easier, or more difficult way.. (don't know for sure about that.).

The HK P7 pistols I bought from CDNN are from the batch recently released by the German Government, and came from the armory (or coffee shop, or someplace) of the Lower Saxony Police.  (I think Lower Saxony is like a "state" would be here.)

These P7's were graded by HK people in Germany prior to shipment and rated according to INTERNAL wear.  I believe the three grades were "A,B,C".. I've never seen any "C"s, but there are lots of "B"'s (very good to excellent), and fewer "A"'s, (excellent to like new).  Apparently you can see some "B"'s that appear nicer than some "A"s, but again the pistols were graded on internal wear, not visual appearance.

If you care to research you will find the HK P7 series of pistols are considered by knowledgeable firearm experts as one of the very best 9mm pistols ever manufactured..

The pistol is made of the highest quality materials, has a reputation for fantastic reliability, and amazing accuracy.  The photo below was taken of the results of the 1st mag (8rds) fired from my first surplus P7.

The target was shot from only 7 yards as I was just trying to determine poa/poi.  I'm a senior citizen, shaky hands, crappy eyes, and an average shot.  I was quite amazed when the first round impacted in the X ring, as did all the rest of them. (I've posted this before, so I apologize to those folks having to read it again).

The squeezecocker HK P7 has an amazingly light single action trigger pull.. Every time..  The design of the pistol makes it capable of unusual accuracy if the shooter will do his part.

The Cons of the P7 series are they will get hot quickly if more than several mags. are fired thru them rapidly.  The pistols are heavy as they are all metal.  The mag capacity is 8.

The Pros of the P7 series are they have the reputation as the "safest" 9mm pistol, (squeezecocker), top reputation in both reliability and accuracy, and have a great resale value.. Even tho once you buy and shoot one you won't have the desire to part with it.  In fact chances are you'll buy more..  

I did not intend to buy three of these suckers..  But after shooting my first I wanted more.. (This sickness is known as "HK P7 fever)..  :)

The prices of these surplus P7's run $599.95 for B grades at CDNN and $674.95 for A grade pistols.  These same pistols are sold elsewhere for varying amounts + or -..

All three of my A grade P7's appeared to my uneducated eye as basically unused.  I'm not saying they were, but they have that appearance, and that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

All three are amazingly accurate, a pleasure to shoot, and you need to buy one and see for yourself.  

Hope this helps.

Jesse ;D
"Laus Deo"

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Expert
« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2008, 09:23:54 PM »
I've finally found a Chantilly P7M8 that hopefully will be here by the end of this week. For those of you who don't know, the P7M8 imported when HK was in their Chantilly, VA facility is probably the most sought after P7M8 by P7 afficionados.

These guns were imported in the mid to late '80s. '83-'88 IIRC. The overall fit and finish of these imports are considered to be the best HK has made. The serial number etching and other stamping are clearer than other models. Early Sterling, VA imports are probably the next desirable of the guns.

I've been looking for one for a while now. I finally found one when the cash was available. I'll be sure to post pictures when I get it.

Offline garymass

• Expert
« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2008, 10:09:59 PM »
Thanks, I guess I will have to start looking, always liked HK as an overall brand.

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Expert
« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2008, 10:54:50 PM »
I think the firing pin comes out in a slightly different, easier, or more difficult way.. (don't know for sure about that.).....

The Mxx models have a firing pin assembly that can be removed by pressing your thumb onto the assembly and rotating it while the squeezer is slightly depressed. The standard P7 requires a key to remove the firing pin assembly.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #132 on: March 10, 2008, 12:56:47 PM »

G

Gary:

All I can say is that I found the the P7s to be addictive -- just like the R9s.

In addition to the JB's excellent summary above (he's one of the moderators over at PCT under the handle "HK45C"), here's a link to another review of the pistols which has been saved in PCT's FAQ section:

http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/pct_faq.htm#9
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 12:57:09 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Laserlips

• Expert
« Reply #133 on: March 10, 2008, 01:22:14 PM »
Quote from: dctfn
 I picked this one up reasonably priced, sent it to Tripp's for the hard-chrome job, and night sights. Then added the wood grips.
[/quote

dct:

What is your overall opinion of your P7 after having it Tripp Cobrachromed and with addition of Nill grips?

I mean as in a before/after comparison?

No doubt the pistol is beautiful hardchromed, and the Nill grips really add the look of class to the P7, but would you do it again, and would you do anything different?

I bought my first P7 with the intentions of performing the very same refinishing and Nill grips because I was so taken with the appearance of the P7 after having it done, but I got stuck buying two more P7's instead..

I don't plan to buy any more P7's so now I can reconsider whether or not to have one "beautified", what's you opinion on that?

Thanks!

Jesse
"Laus Deo"

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2008, 05:33:16 PM »
Jesse:

I haven't seen "dctfn" here at the campfire for a little over a year now. If he doesn't see and respond to your post, you might try sending it to him by PM through his Forum profile page.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"