Author Topic: Looking for a full size .45  (Read 37480 times)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Looking for a full size .45
« Reply #150 on: February 08, 2010, 10:27:42 PM »

Great point.

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #151 on: February 09, 2010, 07:46:43 AM »
 That must have been along time ago, are you sure you are not thinking Wilson?  Ed Brown uses no MIM parts. And they make all of their own parts. They only use one level of parts in all their guns, unlike Wilson, who uses one level of parts in some guns and another in others. Most people end up buying Ed Brown Slide stops when anything happens in their own piece such as Kimbers/Wilsons/Springfields/etc

From Ed Brown Web Sight:

Do Ed Brown handguns have any MIM (metal injection molded) parts?

No, we use no MIM parts in Ed Brown firearms. While the current thinking is that MIM parts are "good enough" for firearm applications, this thinking doesn't fit with our philosophy at all. All Ed Brown parts are made from either forgings, bar stock steel, or quality investment castings.

Chief
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 07:55:23 AM by Chief-USN »
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #152 on: February 09, 2010, 07:56:51 AM »
Chief.  Good to know.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #153 on: February 09, 2010, 08:09:18 AM »
  The Gun we are working on has the following options:

1. Molon Labe Pistol (Executive Elite is what it is based on)
2. Use Railed Frame for accessory mounting
3. All Stainless upper and lower
4. Gen 3 Coating (Similar to Robar but Black in color)
5. 10-8 Battle sights (Rear)
6. Gold Dot Front sights
7. Flattened and serrated Top
8. 8 Round Magazines (Fits Flush with the Beveled Well)
9. No front serrations

Everything on the gun has a purpose, it shoual be quite a piece and will not be like "what the other guys have". I like the fact I can "build" my own. Should also hold value up.
Only down side looks like 90 days.

Now if the R45 comes around.......
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 08:12:02 AM by Chief-USN »
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #154 on: February 09, 2010, 08:17:21 AM »
The 90 days really isn't that bad.  It will be here before you know it.  The R45...........over a year, at best.  That will seem like a long time.

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #155 on: February 10, 2010, 12:46:50 PM »
Chief, You realize, since you started this mini novel, you will need to keep us all up to date on the wait as well as the range check and the good finish, the carry of. ;) :D ;D   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #156 on: February 10, 2010, 03:34:16 PM »
 I will keep you up to date a try to post pics when it gets here. I really apreciate the help you guys have been on sending me to various smiths to compare and work out packages with. It just came down to no one had everything in one gun that I was looking for so I am having to go custom (Or Semi custom as the case may be) It is nice that Ed Brown uses all the "Custom" parts other companies buy from him for their pieces. All Ed brown parts are made in house , in the USA. I like that as well.  They also told me that the Molon Labe edition would be made for at the most 1 year. If sales/orders fall, maybe less. That plus the fact a gun configured like mine will be rare, should hold the value up as well. (In case my kids want to sell it  ;D )
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #157 on: February 10, 2010, 04:29:01 PM »
You made a great choice!    :)     :)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #158 on: February 12, 2010, 07:20:47 PM »
That must have been along time ago, are you sure you are not thinking Wilson?  

Bought it around November '09-- this was just a part off midway USA, not a whole pistol.  The Brown "hardcore" line are supposed to be steel.  

Perhaps Brown DN use their lower-end line in their pistols, but unless theres another process that makes a part smooth, w. seams, they make MIM parts.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #159 on: February 15, 2010, 08:23:33 AM »
 According to Brown they make No MIM parts. Give them a call and talk to them . Justin would be the guy you will probably be speaking with. His phone is:
573-565-3261

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline skivail

« Reply #160 on: March 08, 2010, 04:41:37 PM »
Chief,
I was in Ohio and looking at 1911's at various gun shops. A couple of shops had Wilson's. They are over $2,500.00 - are they worth that much money? They let me dry fire one and it was great. In addition to a Rohrbaugh, I have a Kimber with a 3" barrell (Ultra Raptor), and a Glock 36 - both in .45. Is a Wilson that much better. Is an Ed Brown even better?

Thanks Ex Spec-5, U.S. Army 65 & 66
SKIVAIL

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #161 on: March 08, 2010, 04:54:08 PM »
  I have found that apparently after 5,000 rounds guns like Kimbers, Springfields, Sigs, et al. Need work. But the Ed Browns, Wilson's, Volkmanns, Nighthawks are good for 50,000 plus rounds on average before they need work. They hold their value quite well as well. Even worn out they are worth 33% or more of their retail. Granted all modern guns from the big guys, outshoot me, I just have this thing about not owning something "as good as" I want the thing that is being used as the measuring stick  ;D .
  Does that make sense?  I think I am going to have Volkmann build me a .45 carry. He is a former Ed Brown guy that went off on his own a few years back. Beautiful pieces.
 By the way big guy, thanks for serving bro.

Chief
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 04:56:04 PM by Chief-USN »
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline skivail

« Reply #162 on: March 08, 2010, 05:19:08 PM »
 I have found that apparently after 5,000 rounds guns like Kimbers, Springfields, Sigs, et al. Need work. But the Ed Browns, Wilson's, Volkmanns, Nighthawks are good for 50,000 plus rounds on average before they need work. They hold their value quite well as well. Even worn out they are worth 33% or more of their retail. Granted all modern guns from the big guys, outshoot me, I just have this thing about not owning something "as good as" I want the thing that is being used as the measuring stick  ;D .
  Does that make sense?  I think I am going to have Volkmann build me a .45 carry. He is a former Ed Brown guy that went off on his own a few years back. Beautiful pieces.
 By the way big guy, thanks for serving bro.

Chief

I like "I want the thing that is being used as the measuring stick" : mind if I borrow it. Using your philosophy and adding that I'm old, the Wilsons in stock are interesting. I'll have to sell a few pistols to buy a Wilson but I think I would smile a lot. Thank you for serving Chief. My service was a long time ago, in the US, and I didn't go voluntarily. Actually Basic in Ft. Dix was the best thing that ever happened to me.

A.
SKIVAIL

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #163 on: March 08, 2010, 05:31:07 PM »
 It does'nt matter where you served, when you signed the line you told them you would go anywhere they sent you and you turned yourself over to serve.
  You got lucky, good on you ! When I joined up, I was in boot camp and my mom got my draft notice. (1969) She actually called them and told them I was not coming in  ;D

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #164 on: March 08, 2010, 05:55:58 PM »
skivail.  Welcome to the Forum.  Post often.