Author Topic: Boberg Xr9s shorty - Superior or just different?  (Read 29690 times)

Offline Nomad

Boberg Xr9s shorty - Superior or just different?
« on: February 18, 2010, 10:21:10 PM »
Ok - I need the skinny on this gun.  Let's see 1) heavier +p loads, 2) 7+1 capacity, 3) $849 dollars. So it appears to be about the same size as the r9s, with heavier firepower and more shots at a cheaper price. Should I be getting on the waiting list for this gun or is the stats for it just marketing sleight of hand?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Boberg Xr9s shorty - Superior or just differen
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 10:45:46 PM »
The design is quite revolutionary but keep in mind the shorty weighs 17 0z., about 4 more than the R9. I love one of the descriptions that it provides more "kinematic balance of the cartridge."
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 10:46:20 PM by tracker »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 10:49:17 PM »
Boberg is not taking orders at the present time.  I don't know enough about the gun to call it superior; different, fits for now.  

I tried putting in an order, but he (Boberg) says he's not that far along yet, maybe June.............We're see.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline scar2783

• Sharpshooter
  • MS
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 09:42:23 PM »
Very interesting video of it being fired on their website:

http://www.bobergarms.com/notes/XR9_Shorty

Mark
Mark

Offline kanuist

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 01:18:24 AM »
I'm not sure about the way they feed the ammo.  I think I'd hold off owning one until it was thoroughly tested in real world conditions.  It's also thicker than the R9.
Join the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network
http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 06:13:04 AM »
I like it just because it's different.  It does shoot +P ammo and is interesting.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 06:00:56 PM »
For my own use...I'd be a little worried that in time of need, my habits formed with a two handed grip...one thumb above the other...from shooting my R9 and other more standard design guns, might just cost me the end of my left thumb.
Of course, that would only happen once....

Think I'll stay with the R9.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 07:00:59 PM »
I will definitely stay with the R9.  The Boberg will just be an addition, like the recent Glock 33, 357 sig., which is like an R9 on steroids; still comfortable to shoot.

Offline scar2783

• Sharpshooter
  • MS
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 07:09:18 PM »
I'm with you. I'll probably purchase one but the R9 is staying with in my pocket...
Mark

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 08:05:12 PM »
That's the way to go.  I just like guns.  If a new one comes along, I seemingly, gotta have it; especially if it's powerful.  Powerful, small package, or powerful, big package, doesn't really matter.  Oh, well, that's my addiction.

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 08:08:39 PM »
I can't think of a better one.  Unfortunately, I need to be pretty selective ...at least until the economy gets back on track...then I'll go back to "mainlining" different guns and calibers.  Until then...I'm going cold turkey.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 04:59:57 AM »
I was hoping the R45 would be here soon, but now a year + away and the Boberg maybe some time this year.  We'll see.....on both.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 10:57:22 PM »
Lets not forget about the Microtech Archangel 9mm and less than 8oz
empty and under $600.

http://pistolbuyersguide.com/Articles.php?action=detail&g=content1246208096

John
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 10:58:22 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 11:39:16 PM »

Just from an initial perspective it appears that there is very little room in front of the Archangel trigger to place the finger; this is very important in a quick response self-defense situation. The R9 is quite generous in this regard.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 11:48:08 PM »
I agree 100% with that, you would have to be careful or shoot one handed.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson