Author Topic: Failure to eject with all but Gold Dot  (Read 6505 times)

Offline OKSilver

Failure to eject with all but Gold Dot
« on: October 14, 2011, 11:02:57 AM »
I fired my R9s "Silver" for the first time yesterday.  I had three different ammo brands with me.  I experienced a "failure to eject", resulting in a "jam" open when I used 115 gr Winchester 9mm (White box) and the 115 gr Hornady CD.

I did not have a problem with the speer "gold dot" 115 gr shells.  I used both of the magazines that came with gun.

Should I consider buy another magazine from Rohrbaugh?

I have not taken the gun apart and cleaned it yet, but I have
not noticed any other problems with it.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Failure to eject with all but Gold Dot
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 12:00:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum OK.  Sorry about the eject problem.  Some considerations:
1.  Is the pistol well lubricated?
2.  Are the screws holding the right side grip tight?
3.  Are you confident that you are not "limp wristing" when you fire?

If these are not issues, would worry about the ejector, although why it would eject the Gold Dot 's but nothing else is mysterious.  Have you tried 124's in white box, etc. as these may have a little more "push" on the slide?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 12:49:48 PM »
OKSilver.  Welcome.  Good suggestions, above.  If the Speer Gold Dots 115 gr. works for your R9, stick with those.  You know they work.  Some R9's are finiky about their diet.  Enjoy the Gold Dots!  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 01:47:36 PM »
First, Welcome to the group.
It is generally recommended to breakdown, clean & lube before the first range session.
 If you did not clean the gun before the range session you may want to do a good cleaning and lube before and try it again getting too excited about the issue.
  Keep us posted and good luck.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 04:05:57 PM »
OKS:

First of all, welcome to the Forum and congratulations on your R9.

Without photographs or knowing how many rounds you fired within what space of time, my tentative diagnosis would be that the problem you describe might be traced to one of the following causes: (1) inadequate lubrication of the pistol; (2) firing the pistol while it wasoverheated from previous strings of fire; or (3) "limp wristing" while firing the pistol.

Weighing in at only about 13 ounces empty and being the smallest and lightest pistol chambered for the 9mm Parabellum, the R9 has minimal tolerances. It needs to be kept clean and well lubricated, allowed to cool down a bit  between strings of fire, and requires a stable platform (here read "firm grip") to handle the recoil force of the cartridge.  

Good luck with your little masterpiece of form and function!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Giraffes

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 11:59:31 AM »
I seem to be having the same problem since I got my pup back with a new slide. When I first picked it up in August, it would eat anything including Gold Dots, Hornady CD, Federal American Eagle FMJ, etc. Unfortunately, I had to send it back because my slide developed a thin crack.

Since getting it back from Rohrbaugh a few weeks ago, I've taken it to the range twice and now I'm experiencing some light primer strikes with American Eagle and FTEs with everything except Gold Dots and Federal Hydra Shoks. To be fair, I've only fired about 20 rounds of Gold Dots, 20 Hydra Shoks, compared to 100 American Eagle FMJs and about 50 of other various FMJ ammo. I'm not as concerned about the light primer strikes because it's never failed with quality SD ammo, but I am concerned with the FTEs. I can see scraping on the casings that fail to eject where the extractor has broken free, but they are perfect other than the scratch.

I can't comment on limp wristing because no one ever thinks they are guilty of that ;-) but I'm extremely vigilant about cleaning and keeping it well lubricated. I even apply a thin coat of Mil-Comm TW25 grease to the rails before range sessions. I'm kind of at a loss for ideas right now. I love carrying my R9, but I'd like to put about 50 more rounds of Gold Dots down range to make sure they function flawlessly before I start carrying it again. Would some of the more experienced members please chime in with any advice or experience with a similar issue?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 12:18:33 PM »

Have you tried another magazine?

Offline Giraffes

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 01:12:04 PM »
It happens with both magazines. I have Yankee's straight extension on one and the other has the factory base. I made sure to disassemble both of them and clean them thoroughly before my first range trip in August so I'm pretty sure it's not a magazine related issue.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 01:32:18 PM »

It sounds like factory related since it happened after you received a slide replacement. I know it is painful to return it again but I would at least give them a call even though you have probably already considered it. You might give it a few more sessions to confirm the problem.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 02:18:20 PM »
I agree.  It does sound factory related; if it fired everything before and now doesn't.  Must be more sensitive to cheaper ammo, now, maybe; just a thought. Also, if you can live with just shooting the Gold Dots and Hydro Shocks, you're good to go, should they prove reliable after more rds are fired.

I know you would like it to fire everything, and at the beginning, it would, so I can understand your concern.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Giraffes

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 02:54:19 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. The most important thing is that it functions flawlessly with Gold Dots so I just ordered 4 more boxes. If it will cycle 60 consecutive rounds without any issues, I'll be happy and feel safe carrying it. While I was at it, I ordered a box of Speer Lawman FMJ to try that out. I'd like to be able to use less expensive ammo for training, but I'll use the Gold Dots if I have to. I'll save Maria as a last resort. Thanks again for all the input!