Author Topic: Kahr CW 380... IT'S BACK ALREADY!! 👍 KAHR  (Read 33865 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
I wanted to also mention that I broke out the Seecamp to compare it to the Kahr.

Wow I got a refresher course in why I bought the Seecamp. A reminder of what a wonder of an engineering feat it is. Pain in the shooting finger or not, I am impressed. There is no reason to leave home without a firearm if you own a seecamp. TINY

SHOOT LITTLE- CARRY WHEN YOU CANT CARRY SOMETHING BIGGER :)

I'm keeping my 2 for what it's worth.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Online MRC

• Grand Master
To my knowledge, there is no SAAMI spec for +P 380 ammo.  If someone is advertising it, proceed with caution as there are no specs for the firearm producers to manufacture to.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Anyone have any experience shooting the buffalo bore +p .380 out of a Kahr 380 or similar?

Do you think I should just stick with standard pressure rounds MRC?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Online MRC

• Grand Master
Call Kahr.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Sounds like good advice. Thanks.

John Stuart Mill

Offline hedrok

• Expert
It seems to me that pushing the limits on the pressures generated when a round is fired is probably best left to the engineers who designed the weapon(s)...at least in today's world.  Back in Elmer Keith's day, the science of metallurgy didn't have computers and the history (of both good and bad ideas) at hand, so it was kinda OK for him to famously say "I never saw a handgun I didn't want to blow up." Even then, he was considered pretty cool...but really pretty NUTZ...brave, but still nutz.
If you want more power...buy a gun that will handle it...there's lots of proven choices in very small packages that don't involve being the "crash dummy."

Just my .00002 worth (inflation and net value reduction.)   ;)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Point well taken hedrok. I will check in with Kahr and see what they say.

I wouldn't run +p in my R9 (clearly stated not to) or Kahr 380 (not clearly stated not to) if they aren't rated for such loads.

I'm kind of a junky on finding the most power in the smallest packages. It seems this is what technology is always pushing for and in a society where you can leave the house with your smart phone, wallet and a pistol and (God willing) be prepared for just about anything life will throw at you it's of interest to insure all 3 are loaded in  +p fashion if allowable.

If not, a change up is always recommendable if needed :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 10:18:57 AM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Online MRC

• Grand Master
My guess is that the P380 can handle the +P Buffalo Bore, but better safe than sorry.

The Max pressure for a std pressure 9mm is 35,000 psi and the +P is 10% more or 38,500 psi.  Very high pressures indeed.

The Max pressure on a 380 is 21,500 psi.  If the Buffalo Bore is 10% higher {who knows} it would be at 23,850 which is not very high by today's standards.

In contrast the Max pressure on a S&W 500 Mag is 60,000 psi and on a 460 S&W Mag it is 65,000 psi.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 09:33:20 AM by MRC »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Spoken like a true engineer MRC :) Thanks sir.

I'll go ahead and post as accurately as possible Kahr's response for you guys too.

John Stuart Mill

Offline hedrok

• Expert
Hey, MRC...Since you seem to have quick access to the info...Where does a .327 Federal Mag come in?? 
I had thought the trend was "the larger the caliber/gauge...the higher the pressure.  Not so in shotguns.
The .410 is almost 1.5 X a 12 ga.    :o 

Online MRC

• Grand Master
Hey, MRC...Since you seem to have quick access to the info...Where does a .327 Federal Mag come in?? 
I had thought the trend was "the larger the caliber/gauge...the higher the pressure.  Not so in shotguns.
The .410 is almost 1.5 X a 12 ga.    :o

The 327 Federal comes in at 45,000 psi.  I did not know that it was that high.  I have been after S&W to bring out a Model 16 in that caliber without success.

Here is a link to the specs:

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/specifications/Velocity_Pressure_CfPR.pdf

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
FYI:

Q. Which ammunition is recommended for use with Kahr firearms?

A. Kahr Arms does not endorse any particular brand of ammunition. However, not every brand of ammunition produces the same results. Please check the markings on the barrel hood of your firearm to determine the proper caliber. Kahr suggests a visit to a pistol range to test fire different brands of ammunition in the proper caliber. Kahr do not recommend steel case, reloads or un-jacketed ammunition.

The Kahr pistol is rated to +P.

I actually called in and verbally asked and right away the answer was "yes the 380's will shoot +p". I then asked where I may verify such info in writing and I was directed here

https://www.kahr.com/faq.asp
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 06:18:19 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
So I ran 67 flawless rounds through the CW 380 Kahr today. This parks me personally around the 200 round mark through the gun. I figure the other owner had to run 50-100 through it.

It was just range ammo but it ran like a sewing machine. It really is a smooth little gun.

Very compact.

+p rated

Slender.

Decent sights with night sights as an option. (big dots too : )

Very accurate at 7 paces. I was plinking 6" steel very easily.

Follow up shots are cake. You can easily dump a mag as fast as you can squeeze the trigger in a center of mass size area from 5-7 yards.

I think I may vote for the "best bang for the buck pocket pistol" on this one. I mean $30 more than a NAA .22 magnum you can get a (granted it is used).380, semi auto with a great reputation for reliability. So far I'm thinking this is a great buy. I know that's likely a weird thing to mention on the Rohrbaugh forum where most folks rarely mention such things, but Kahr fills a very interesting niche! I've even been talking to some glock guys who are going toward the Kahr 9's to fill the gap in their armory. Kinda cool to me anyway.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 07:36:39 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline hedrok

• Expert
Sounds like you got a winner!!!    8)

Like just about everybody, Kahr went thru their own "jamb-o-matic phase a few years ago, but they also did a great job of listening
to their customers who were running away in droves and put some really good fixes in place.  Now, they have their customers
back... in droves...and get a rebuilt reputation in the process.

Isn't that something like "101 basic staying in business logic?"   ;D

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
I think most of us in business have seen problems. They don't define the company. What does more to define a company is how they handle the issues. I guess that's where integrity comes in to play and why you do reap what you sow.

John Stuart Mill