Author Topic: Any reviews on the sig 224?  (Read 9961 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Any reviews on the sig 224?
« on: May 02, 2014, 10:09:39 PM »
Hi fellow Americans, 

I really like a G27 and I really like Sig. So obviously the 224 caught my attention. I squeezed the trigger on the double action and didn't really like the looooong reset.

Any one have experience with one?

What is your opinion?

Thanks.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Any reviews on the sig 224?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 10:12:17 PM »

I just received one this week for an upcoming review.  I hope to shoot it soon.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 12:51:15 AM »
How perfect!

I really want to like this gun. Please let us know your initial impressions.

Is it 9 or 40?

Is it SA/DA, DAK OR DA?

I think I'm going to pick one up if I can get a good feel that it will be what full size sigs are. I imagine it will be a beast.

Looking very forward to your post Duane.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 09:46:33 PM »

Mine is a 9mm -- DA/SA.  I had a DAK model a few months ago, but really wanted to hold out for the DA/SA model.  I have been waiting since SHOT Show 2012!

Duane (DDGator)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 10:28:56 PM »
That is the exact pistol I am looking to buy next week. When will you get a chance to run some ammo through it Duane? Any idea yet? I'm eager to get your take on it.

John Stuart Mill

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 10:38:38 PM »

Not this weekend...  Maybe the one after. 

I've shot the P224 with the DAK trigger.  I liked the gun a lot, but all my other Sigs are DA/SA so I really wanted the same action.

I have yet to find a Sig I didn't like, so I doubt this one will be the first.   ;)
Duane (DDGator)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 09:00:41 AM »
With the exception of the 938 and 290 and 1911 my sigs are also da/sa, and I'm with you, functionality will be the same. I believe the internals will be the same it's typically just the shape and caliber that changes from model to model in that style of Sig to the best if my understanding, so I'm with you. If I love my 226, I'm gonna love a 224 if the shape/weight is ok.

I am kind of interested in .40. I know this is the age old debate Duane, but (IN YOUR OPINION) do you feel like the ballistic advantages of the .40 is worth getting if the recoil is not a significant issue to a fellow? 

I am under the impression that currently produced JHP (especially +p golden saber and HST and Buffalo Bore) are a very effective defensive cartridge even in 9mm.

I mainly want the .40 so I could go 9, .40 and/or .357 sig in one gun if the conversions are as smooth as my G27.

John Stuart Mill

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 12:36:35 PM »

I am a 9mm guy, and always have been since my S&W 669.  I just didn't see the reason to switch to .40 S&W.

I personally think the additional effectiveness of .40 S&W is marginal.   The .40 has more recoil and costs more to buy.  That being said, if you truly think you can shoot the .40 as well and as fast as a 9mm, and the additional cost isn't a big deal, I suppose bigger is usually better.

I just have too much tied up in 9mm pistols and ammo to want to change.  One "mid-size" auto caliber is enough for me.   ;)

Duane (DDGator)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 04:27:14 PM »
Well I purchased a sig 224 da/sa extreme today and ran 200 rounds through it.

Initial thoughts...

1) my fav carry piece is a G27
2) similar size and shape of the G27
3) considerably heavier than the G27
4) initial double action shot is LOOOONG and hard
5) beautiful Sig quality
6) very reliable- had one failure to eject out of 200 federal range ammo
7) single action is a dream
8) I shoot my G27 better, but I have a good bit of practice with it
9) not sure if I can conquer a quick, accurate first shot with the DA
10) accurate
11) I will be interested to see if it takes over the main EDC places of my G27 for cooler weather by next fall.
12) I want to like the pistol, but added weight and size and a more complex first squeeze is a hurdle
13) tracker quit reading this post. You don't want to get worn out with it : )
14) mine is 9mm which had a very manageable recoil (of course)
15) I paid $650 for mine which has night sites of course, so I am in the range of a new Glock with night sites. Mine is used and only had one mag though.

A bit redundant on some points, but I guess you get the idea. Anyway, I look forward to getting familiarized with it.

I'll also look forward to getting Duane's thoughts as a much more experienced shooter.

I'll post if there is any noteworthy stuff to say (or even if there isn't just for you tracker : ) LOL.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 04:32:53 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 10:06:41 PM »

I like the additional measure of safety inherent in a DA/SA pistol.  But, I really cut my teeth on DA revolvers, so a long trigger pull doesn't bother me much.  At my MAG-80 class I shot a Sig P229 and was did not feel like I was at a disadvantage against Glocks or 1911s.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 10:37:53 PM »
I could totally see how extensive revolver training would give you a great advantage on that trigger.

I have sigs and like em, but never carried them due to size and weight. Never trained with one per se.

I did ok on the first shot out of the holster, but not as well as I do with the G27.

Training issue? I would say so, but no doubt that a easier striker fire trigger would be quicker and more accurate, but with a trade of a measure of safety. That's how I see it at least.

Anyway, I will probably run 1000 or so through it before I make a decision for me and my EDC for cooler weather. 

Thanks.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 05:08:03 PM »
Well I ran another 400 rounds of Tula Brass Max through it today. That makes 700 rounds for me though the fine pistol.

I worked quite a bit on draw, point, squeeze out of the holster. I was kinda getting better with it, but still feel my first shot is definately quicker and more accurate with a Glock 27.

It got considerably better today but I would say it causes a good .5-1 second more of concentration FOR ME to get a good hit on the first shot with the stiff double action.

After that... Butta. That's slang for butter for all of you folks who don't speak improperly. Butter or butta: dreamy and enjoyable. Comfortable and smooth. Lol.

Anyway all foolishness aside (ok not ALL foolishness aside. We don't want to get too stuffy like some of you old people on here : )) you know who you are : )) the follow up shots were quicker and more accurate than the Glock 27. I think I'm gonna have my US Marshall buddy spot me and see what he thinks as far as how much slower and sloppier the first shot is and how much nicer the followup shots are and get his take on whether the trade is worthy.

Enjoying the search for the perfect CCW. Haven't arrived yet, but at least I'm enjoying the ride : )
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 06:42:42 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 07:46:31 PM »

Nothing improves behavior like age.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 08:42:30 PM »
And it's also good for gout, gastritis, sleeplessness, sleepiness/drowsiness, failing eyesight and that's just to mention a few.

In the words of my wife's grandma... "This gettin old stuff ain't for sissies"

I actually have a lot of friends that are older than me by 20-30 years. Good folks. Then there are some that are just plain crotchety. I guess we can all be in that group though irrespective of age.

Nice gun. I hope to overcome the added weight, and double action. It's a keeper IMO.

John Stuart Mill

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 10:55:17 PM »
I put a few bids in on a few 224 SAS DAK 357 Sigs when they first started hitting the auction sites.  Other folks seemed to want them more than I did so I never did get one.  I may try for one again at some point, but I'm really enjoying the box stock Glock 32 I picked up instead.
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com