Author Topic: Striker fired LC9  (Read 5820 times)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
Striker fired LC9
« on: July 28, 2014, 09:59:24 PM »
There is no Ruger link and I want to be first to spread the rumor here, so I'm not waiting for Ruger :)

All I got is:

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=3235

and

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=432018573

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Striker fired LC9
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 10:12:01 PM »
Very nice competitor to the S&W Shield at 17 oz. but the R9 is still the lightweight 9mm champion defender.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 10:15:46 PM by tracker »

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 10:19:08 PM »

This could be a solution in search of a problem...  But at least they beat Kel-Tec to the punch!   ;)

Why did they have to jump on the trigger safety bandwagon?

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 10:57:06 PM »
2 things I didn't like about the LC9

1) It wasn't small enough

2) Crappy trigger

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 11:09:21 PM »

Well, making it striker-fired may solve the trigger issue in some respects, but also makes the gun bigger.   :o
Duane (DDGator)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 10:45:51 AM »
It is just personal preference, but I will gladly trade that little bit of length to the back of the pistol for a better trigger and  the added reliability (ie. light hits).

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 11:18:41 AM »

Can we necessarily conclude a striker fired pistol will be more reliable?   I assume it will definitley lose "repeat strike" capability -- for those who think that is important.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 11:35:29 AM »
I am a big fan of ruger and daily carried my SR9C before I got my R9 from Tom Wastson. I tried to LC9 and could not stand the trigger and safety on it. I hope that the Ruger has fixed those issues, and if they did I would consider getting one as a back up for the R9.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 12:01:39 PM »

Can we necessarily conclude a striker fired pistol will be more reliable?   I assume it will definitley lose "repeat strike" capability -- for those who think that is important.

JMO

I agree, other than eliminating light hits, there is nothing more reliable about a striker fired pistol.

In my experience, if it does not fire on the first hit with a striker fired pistol it is not going to go.

Any article that I have read that was written by Personal Defense Instructors or Law Enforcement Instructors advise to rack a new round into the chamber instead of retrying the round that did not fire with any pistol and I agree.

Second strike capability is a cure for a problem that does not exist with the strider fired pistols I have owned and shot

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 12:50:07 PM »

Second strike capability is a cure for a problem that does not exist with the strider fired pistols I have owned and shot

I agree as well -- which is why I qualified my statement that way.  Repeat strike is better than not for untrained types who won't do anything other than keep pulling the trigger...  and maybe something will happen...  The better response is a malfunction drill.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 07:50:46 PM »
I had an LC9, it was extremely dependable.  Close up accuracy was ok, but who is going to carry a 'Cocked and locked' gun in their pocket. The safety would be a problem if you wanted to 'Pull and shoot'. The only two pocket gun I like are the Seecamp, and a Sig 232.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 10:42:25 PM »
I think an R9 is the perfect backup to an R9, but I don't have enough money to purchase a second R9.

In my experience, the CM9 has the most similar trigger to the R9 of the micro-nines that I have tried (I haven't tried the trigger on a Boberg XR9-S)

I did read a report today of a LC9s owner who had problems reassembling the LC9s because of the new design of the guide rod:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1649717_Ruger_LC9s__Ruger_s_new_striker_fired__single_stack_9mm_.html&page=5#i48594381

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 01:10:56 PM »
I had an LC9, it was extremely dependable.  Close up accuracy was ok, but who is going to carry a 'Cocked and locked' gun in their pocket. The safety would be a problem if you wanted to 'Pull and shoot'. The only two pocket gun I like are the Seecamp, and a Sig 232.

I have never owned a LC9, but I have no problem carrying a striker fired pistol in my pocket.  You still have the long DAO-type trigger pull as a safety.

I have at times carried a P380, a PM9, and currently I am carrying a Solo with no qualms what so ever.

JMO

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 07:58:25 PM »
When I was looking for a small carry pistol, I tried the LC9 even though I thought it was too big for pocket carry.  One pull of the trigger and I knew I didn't want the LC9.

I tried the triggers on the LC9 and the LC9s back to back a few days ago and the LC9s trigger is sooooo much better than the LC9.

I also discovered something about the LC9, it wasn't so much the trigger reach - that it was so far forward, the problem for me is how far back I have to pull that trigger, and at some point, different muscles come into play and my trigger finger is bending at the first joint instead of just bending in the middle... the LC9 trigger is a mess for me from a few different angles.

The LC9s is much better.