Author Topic: Humidity Control... Silica Gel packs?  (Read 3161 times)

Offline dfsutton

• Sharpshooter
  • US Veteran
Humidity Control... Silica Gel packs?
« on: October 25, 2006, 02:23:33 AM »
Hi all,

I just moved to New Orleans about 5 months ago and have been noticing some discoloration (not rust) on some of my guns (mainly on barrels and internals) due to what i believe is the very high humidity.

I'm starting to get worried and have decided that I probably should start humidity control measures before I get some rust issues.

Is silica gel (in the packs) the best solution to controlling this humidity situation? Or is there something else that i should know about.

Please comment away. Thanks guys (and gals :))
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 02:35:27 AM by dfsutton »
"All that is thought should not be said, all that is said should not be written, all that is written should not be published, all that is published should not be read."

- Rabbi Menachem Morgenstern

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Humidity Control... Silica Gel packs?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 03:03:55 PM »
I have long kept a silica gell pack in my gun safe with good results. You should be able to find one at your local hardware or home improvement store, but here is a link to one on-line supplier:

http://www.dehumidify.com/ProdDisc.html
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Humidity Control... Silica Gel packs?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 08:23:17 PM »
I too have kept a silica gel pack in the safe - and it has yet over two years to change color - IIRC the exposed bit will turn pink when it needs ''refreshed''.

I had been going to fit a small heater rod but have never bothered.

Thing is, despite high summer humidity - my office building has AC and so it never gets very humid inside - and in winter I have flued gas heaters so again - moisture levels modest.  State of silica gel and guns in safe, and those longarms outside of it - show no degredation from any humidity.

I do keep blued guns wiped over with CLP or similar anyways.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.