Author Topic: STOLEN!  (Read 7311 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
STOLEN!
« on: February 28, 2005, 11:34:09 PM »
No.. no.. Not my R-9!

Some of you have seen pics here of my Kershaw Ken Onion Random Leek -- a limited edition S30V steel, Boron coated, reverse tanto Leek.

I mailed it to Kershaw on Friday for a minor warranty repair.  Stupidly, I guess, I wrote "Kershaw Knives" on the outside. Fortunatley, I insured it, although I later decided for less than the replacement cost.

The ENVELOPE arrived today at Kershaw -- with a nice slit cut in the envelope and NO KNIFE!  The knife was securely closed in a strong padded envelope.  I even wrapped a rubber band arond the knife to prevent an accidental opening.

I have to conclude this was stolen by the USPS employee.

The GREAT news is that Craig at Kershaw still has a Random Leek that he is willing to give up.  Kershaw has been great to deal with.

This is extremely disappointing.  My first really bad experience with the USPS.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 10:17:18 AM by admin »
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
Re: STOLEN!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 12:42:40 PM »
Duane,   I remember in the 70's, Ralph Bone quit using the USPS because their people stole knives. They looked at the return address and knew that knives were in the boxes and good bye!   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 05:08:06 PM »
Duane...

Sorry to hear of the theft.. >:(

I too have had good dealings with the Postal Service..A LOT of items sent and received..With no MIAs..

Lucky or not,I still like to pay the bit extra for Priority/and Confirmation..

It is very good that you can get a replacement for this fine knife..I carry an itty bitty Chive-and I would be dissapointed if I just lost that.. ;)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 07:57:22 PM »
Have y'all gone to web site: knifeoutlet.com?   Tom

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 08:21:27 PM »
I've had RBCD ammo arrive on my front porch (despite the adult signature required sticker) with the envelope opened and re-taped shut, and some of the ammo I ordered missing.  The ammo was shipped by UPS.

Anything I am not willing to part with gets shipped FedEx.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 09:03:27 PM »
How is this for an update -- Kershaw has agreed to replace the knife for me at no cost.  Wow.  What a class act those guys are!  ;D
Duane (DDGator)

Offline Wayne

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 09:51:14 AM »
Duane,

I had the same type of experience this past Christmas when Fedex was kind enough to "help me out" with an iPod that shipped from Apple computer.  The package had Apple Computer all over it.  Fedex said it was delivered to my house, but guess what?  No iPod, no package, nothing.

After getting on the phone with both Apple and Fedex, two days later, it "magically appeared",  -lodged between the screen door and my back door.  Apparently, the driver "remembered" he delivered it to the back door and had me look.  (I guess he forgot about the locked gate and the locked screen door that would have made this an impossibility, plus we use that door regularly and saw nothing).

One of my friends actually had the postmaster general investigating a local post office after three consecutive Dell computers were "delivered" but not to his address. :)

Sorry that you had to go through this as well, but it seems like they all do this.  Glad to hear that you seemed to make out alright.

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
Take a Leek?...You're Chiving me...Was:..STOLEN!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 12:05:09 PM »
This story makes me Cryo my eyes out;^)  For someone to Steel a knife, well, it's just over the edge.

Always ship everything insured, and take a picture of it just before
you pack it. I know it's a hassle, but it helps in your time of grief!

Yes, Kershaw is a class act and so is my close, personal friend, Ken Onion;^) Ken was at the SHOT Show and I spent some time with him.
He is the subject of mass adoration, yet he hasn't seemed to let it
go to his head.

I think it's safe to say that Ken Onion made Kershaw into the company
it is today. And Ken's association with Kershaw didn't hurt him either.
He's a humble guy and deserves all the success he's attained. And he
knows Steve and Liv Tyler. They've stayed at his house in Hawaii.

Next time I go, I'm heading his way...

Mr. Potato Head

How is this for an update -- Kershaw has agreed to replace the knife for me at no cost.  Wow.  What a class act those guys are!  ;D
"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005, 01:01:44 PM »
I know a music or guiter store in Ruidoso, NM. They have about $75,000 in unpaid insurance claim against UPS and about $50,000 in unpaid insurance claims against FEDEX. They use USPS now but they ship everything in a plain brown wrapper.    UPS ships everything thru Rockford, Il. from east coast out west. Alot is stolen in this way station in Il.  Tom

Offline BamaTex

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2005, 03:01:22 PM »
Okay, guys, enough Post Office bashing. I am a Postal Inspector and we investigate allegations of mail theft.
If DDGator would contact me, I would tell him who to get in touch with, regarding the theft of his knife.

To clear up a few things. The Post Office (USPS) is not the same as United Parcel Service (UPS) or FedEx. The Post Office has it's own branch of law enforcement, i.e. Postal Inspectors. There are 2000 of us in the U.S. UPS and FedEx have a few people who investigate thefts. For example I think both have ONE person in Houston. We have over 50 Inspectors.  

Also, certain things can and cannot be mailed.
Ammo cannot be mailed, ever, under any circumstances.
Certain knives can be mailed, no swithchblades.
Guns, can be mailed, under certain circumstances.
I do not think Dell uses the Post Office to ship computers.

So, yes, we have over 800,000 employess, and some are bad. But, some of us make a living catching them.

So, send me an email and I will try to help.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2005, 03:17:38 PM »
No bashing intended...  ;)

I have sent you an e-mail.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2005, 10:23:36 PM »
To put thimgs in further perspective: I had a Fedex
package that was missing in Manhattan for a while.
A female Fedex swat squad jumped on it like wet
sand and the package was recovered. While not to
diminish the efforts of the USPS investigative service,
the others can be just as effective, too.

Offline Wayne

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2005, 11:21:32 PM »
BamaTex,

No bashing intended.  My only point is that despite all of the PR, advertising, and hype, a company is just a tax entity comprised of people.  As in all of life, there are good people, and there are not so good people.  Hearing from someone who takes pride in their work is always welcome and it's nice of you to offer to help out Duane.

I'm really not trying to be funny about this (given your obvious USPS affiliation), but do you carry an R9 as part of your work?  Again, not trying to be funny, but I was curious regarding your investigative responsibilities and knowing that some strange things go through the mail.

Offline BamaTex

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 11:02:43 AM »
Wayne,
Glad to help a fellow Rohrbaugh brother.

To answer your question. No, I do not carry the Rohrbaugh, 1)I have not received it yet, and 2) even if I had, I must carry the issued pistol, a Beretta Centurion 92D, which is a cannon, or a personally owned weapon from a short list they have deemed acceptable. I chose to carry the Glock 26, for its size. I have several 15 round mags and several 10-12 round mags. So, I do not give up anything in the way of firepower, plus I have the concealablity of a smaller gun.  Plus, by carying the 26, I was able to convince my wife I NEEDED another gun.

Actually the Rohrbaugh is a gift to myself from my father who passed away in '03. He was an Alabama State Trooper for over 20 years and I know he would have wanted me to have the Rohrbaugh.  (Once again, demonstating the NEED to my wife).  

BamaTex

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
Hot Chicks With Guns...Was:..Re: STOLEN!
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 11:34:02 AM »
A very warm welcome to you, BamaTex! I hope you weren't around
when I made the Alabama joke. (Q: What's the best thing to come
out of Alabama? A: Interstate 20;^)

My Stand-Up Comedy professor told us in class one day that it's only OK to make fun of yourself, or people who are above, not below, you. For example, we can all make fun of the president or the pope, but they can't make fun of us. Clinton and Bush can rag each other but they can't rag the commoners.

I told the Alabama joke because my mother is from Alabama and I lived there for two years when I got married. So I can rag Alabama. (I can also rag fat bald salesmen;^)

So, to get the the crux of the issue (crux is one of my favorite words; it sounds dirty but it isn't;^), when I was a young adult, I had a friend who dated a Postal Inspector, much like yourself, except she was HOT! I mean HOT! I dig chicks with guns! (Maybe I shouldn't reveal so much about myself to people I've only met in cyberspace.) She packed something; I don't know what since I wasn't into guns back then, but it probably was a Beretta. She was SO nice, too. She knew how to use that piece and was definitely a model for a TV show. Who knows.

I know NEED, BamaTex. I can relate to you. When my Father passed away, I justified all kinds of things saying "Dad would want me to have this (insert item needed here)."

You WILL want to carry the Rohrbaugh; it's so smooth and comfortable to carry. I hardly know I've got it in my pocket.

Again, welcome to the list and be patient. You will be very happy when it arrives.

Calvin Cooledge

Wayne,
Glad to help a fellow Rohrbaugh brother.

To answer your question. No, I do not carry the Rohrbaugh, 1)I have not received it yet, and 2) even if I had, I must carry the issued pistol, a Beretta Centurion 92D, which is a cannon, or a personally owned weapon from a short list they have deemed acceptable. I chose to carry the Glock 26, for its size. I have several 15 round mags and several 10-12 round mags. So, I do not give up anything in the way of firepower, plus I have the concealablity of a smaller gun.  Plus, by carying the 26, I was able to convince my wife I NEEDED another gun.

Actually the Rohrbaugh is a gift to myself from my father who passed away in '03. He was an Alabama State Trooper for over 20 years and I know he would have wanted me to have the Rohrbaugh.  (Once again, demonstating the NEED to my wife).  

BamaTex
"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge