Author Topic: Do you like "expensive" things?  (Read 6894 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Do you like "expensive" things?
« on: June 07, 2004, 02:22:53 PM »
A few have raised questions about the price of the R-9.  Setting aside the issue of whether there is really anything out there that is comparable...   would you still spend the money?

I think the reviews here and elsewhere have shown this gun to be of the higest quality in all regards, backed by a dedicated, responsive company.  How much is that worth?

I am not a wealthy guy.  I have plenty of responsibilities and don't go throwing money at everything that I want.  But -- I have found in recent years that I do like to own quality items.

I wore a cheap watch for many years, but now I have a swiss-made Rado that I got for an anniversary present.  I used a lot of Bics before getting a Mont Blanc pen.  I carried an inexpensive knife for years, but I have a William Henry on order.  Sometimes the fit and function and pride of ownerhship are worth the relatively small premium you pay.

On this board -- I think a lot of you will agree.  I love my Kel-Tec P-3AT, but even in 9mm, its never going to be a Rohrbaugh, and wasn't designed to be.  

Quality is its own reward.  

Do you all agree?
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
Re: Do you like "expensive" things?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 03:22:05 PM »
>  would you still spend the money?

Yes. The Rohrbaugh is a superb piece of engineering and its machining represents a high-water mark in quality for a pocket pistol. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I didn't already have one. I also feel that the Rohrbaugh buyer becomes part of something special, not quite becoming part of the actual Rohrbaugh family, but something similar, something that can be depended on. Personal contact with Eric, (and Karl) had a lot to do with this feeling.

I do like quality items, but  I also apprecialte practical, inexpensive, sturdy, knock-about, dependable items as well.
When I work with my hands, I wear a Timex instead of an expensive watch. And I also shoot Glocks, which I consider to be the Timex of the pistol world. My Kel-Tecs strike me as the Bic pens of the pistol world. Useful and handy, but not cherished for their world-class quality like the Rohrbaugh.  Please, no flame-bait intended, I just think there are  different levels of quality in useful tools.

Offline Meggacatz

• Proud Daddy!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 12:07:38 AM »
While not CHEAP....the R9 was one of my best investments. If you go looking for a quality "semi" custom pistol you can easily spend more than the cost of a Rohrbaugh. Most of the Kimbers, TRP, Gunsite, etc. .45s are more costly and some of them still need tweeked to work properly. Some USPs and SIGs still manage to come close. Any custom work (trigger job, NS, porting, etc.) raise costs too. Most "outfitted" hunting revolvers still manage to top the R9 cost. If you shop any of the quality builders (Volquartsen, S&W CS .500, Casull) you'll find they cost more.
I believe people just have an idea of what a pocket pistol should cost (cheap!) but no one has ever made a similar pistol. Granted it likely is not for everyone, but it is exactly what I needed and I gladly handed over my money.
As for expensive things - it's relative to your income. I know someone who recently had four watches stolen. $75000.00+ in watches.....I can't imagine but I don't believe he would balk at the price of a Rohrbaugh. I also know people who can't keep a job and have addictive habits. They have busted their a** their entire life and have nothing to show for it except for a ruined liver (even the dog left just after his wife took the kids).
I have a job that pays OK. I work extra and try to save some. My wife stays home to raise our child and while I don't miss meals, I ain't gettin' rich. I believe our sacrifices now will benefit our son because he is being raised by my wife with our values.
Quality is the materials, skills, and time that is put into something. While it's not cheap, Rohrbaugh is an investment in quality. My money was well spent.
Keep watching, I'm bound to do something stupid again.
R9 #11x

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 12:21:34 AM »
When some 1911's can run over a grand .. up to $1.5k, easily ... then I think the R9 is put into perspective a bit.  It is tempting to think that small = cheaper.

From a design and engineering standpoint this is irrelevant .. only the material costs are slightly less.  It has been said - and I fully endorse this ... that good craftsmanship and engineering, coupled with superb customer support - is one heck of a formula.

I doubt there is one of us - currently an R9 owner, who has not both spoken with Eric and emailed him.  This guy is ''hands-on'' with his customers and - this makes any of us feel special.  The ''magic'' formula if you like for great customer relations.

It is done tho graciously and not it seems from a wish to be ''creeping'' .. no - it is a genuine wish to please.  This counts for so, so much.

As a result, I feel we early owners have the wish to see Rohrbaugh succeed .. big time, tho not shy of mentioning faults or criticisms, should we find them ..... not fortunately too likely.

I do not feel I have spent too much despite the price ... because I see the value in it ... and can relate that to the quite phenomenal R&D gone into it ... as I said before - it could take these guys two years to break even .. with all they have put in.

It is rather nice to be in at the ground floor .. and be part of the growth I so anticipate and hope for.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 06:11:34 PM »
I can admit it,  I like nice things.  Although I can't take it with me,  my wife can have one of the best *yard sales* ever !   [that's *Tag Sale* to you Northern brothers...]  :)
There's more $$ in the Ivory than the Rohrbaugh goes for...

« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 06:14:03 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline oldfella

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 09:26:29 PM »
"Expensive" is often associated with premium quality, this little baby (Rohrbaugh) maybe one of those expensive, premium quality guns. My advice, which I seldom follow, has always been - buy the best quality "toy" even if you can't afford it, otherwise you'll end up spending lots more in the process of trading up… and, boy, don't I know that.  With my meager fixed income, in order to buy this gun, I'd have to sell the three guns I have left. A new Kahr MK9 Elite 2003 with wood grips and night sights; a new S&W M60 2 1/8" with CT Laser Grips and front night sight; and my favorite toy, a .22 Ruger MK II Government Target pistol…. else it will take me a year to squirrel away enough money to buy it - unless Duane, Compman and others are willing to donate to a good cause, and share my joy.
NRA - Life Member
GOA - Life Member

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 01:29:50 AM »
Oldella, why are you waiting. Sell the three guns and pick up a Rohrbaugh.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 02:04:47 AM »
oldfella .. be a crying shame to have to sell those three.  but i guess, the decision needs to revolve around the carry issue and what you actually need as well as want.

If good concealment is paramount then probably the R9 could be the ideal.  Still bugs me tho when a guy has to sell guns to get guns. :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline oldfella

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 09:52:15 AM »
...  guess I'll have to wait, or maybe not; here in Tennessee we got ourselves a new lottery - so, maybe I'll get lucky.
NRA - Life Member
GOA - Life Member

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 10:53:04 AM »
I keep coming back to this thread because I like to drool over RJ's engraved snubbies...

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2004, 09:26:33 AM »
The most expensive !  One done at S&W for me, It's lettered.

RJ=

Offline packin_heat

• Sultan of Swing, Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2004, 04:13:57 PM »
WOW!! that sure is purty. and my poor p-11 is all black and blue...
"Shop smart, shop S-Mart"
"Pphh...English, who needs that? I'm never going to England!"
"I didn't go to work today. The voices told me to stay home and clean the guns".

Offline Texas_Bob

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2004, 10:51:14 PM »
 I "must" like expensive things, I've been married thirty years. What's one or two R9's when you have six P7's?

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2004, 10:37:35 AM »
Hi RJ,

Your guns are spectacular and are far more beautiful than any most of us will ever own. Thank you for sharing. I can't wait to get my R9s and only wish that I had ordered one last year instead of April 30th of this year. Good things are worth waiting for though. Thank's again for sharing.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2004, 10:54:36 AM »
Thank you for your comments.  It was many years of work to get to this point. You still have something to look forward to..
RJ=