Author Topic: Where are you getting your Gold Dots??  (Read 7176 times)

Offline Skyhook

• Expert
Re: Where are you getting your Gold Dots??
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2005, 02:04:57 PM »
Being the thread starter on this is a bit of a problem right now as I can't seem to get the re-loaded mags to strip off GDs without jamming. I think I'll order no more GDs until I iron that out... so it's some kind of RN 115s for a while, I guess. :(

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2005, 07:51:32 PM »
Sky - is that when shooting - not stripping round off properly during cycling - or is it loading first round to chamber it?

With the latter I find a thoro ''slingshot'' is necessary to accelerate round off mag so it engages feed ramp smartly.

I have noticed if emptying a full mag by hand that as I ease round fwd, so nose tends to drop - mostly due to my finger pressure contact area.  I can't see GD's normally being a prob as so many of us find them first class but - anyways do a slow chambering under control and watch how much or little the round tips up ready for feed ramp - sounds as if you aren't getting enough rise of the bullet early enough maybe.

Speculation for now as to why if that is the case and it shouldn't be necessary as a solution to have to go to FMJ's.

Dang - it is so frustrating when I can't get my hands on ''problem'' guns and watch  what is goin' on!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Skyhook

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2005, 07:14:51 AM »
Firing was no problem. It is the reloading with five or six in the mag. I tried both methods, slingshot and lefthand-on-slide, and both result in the nose of the rnd jamming solidly against the feed ramp and stopping.
I did the slow motion thing and did see the dipping of the bullet as it was being stripped from the mag as the bolt came forward.
Today, I am doing some polishing of the ramp.. that has worked for other guns with the same problem, notably a few 1911s I used to compete with a few years back.
Since a lot of feeding problems with SAs tend to be mag related, I have wondered about that as well.
Thanks for the reply, I'll let you know of any developments.