Author Topic: 2006 SHOT Show -- First Rohrbaugh Report  (Read 13896 times)

Offline Fud

• Master
Re: 2006 SHOT Show -- First Rohrbaugh Report
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2006, 08:45:54 PM »
I also know there is another R-9 variant in the works that just couldn't be finished in time for the show.
Is this something that you can not comment on until it becomes 'official'? Is it a beef'ed up version?

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2006, 08:57:07 PM »
No -- not beefed up.  Just another tweak of the existing design.  Can't say more just yet, but I think you will hear it here first.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2006, 09:00:15 PM »
Whem, Thanks Duane-that saved me some money that I can direct to holster makers.
Welcome home

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2006, 10:22:44 PM »
UPDATE from Las Vegas.

Eric called to say the show is going well. Bidding on R-1000 is up to 4000.  The winner should be announced on Monday or Tuesday.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline pocketgun

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2006, 03:17:38 AM »
I spent about 20 minutes speaking with both Karl and Eric at SHOT today.  Karl handed me R-1000 and it about took my breath away!  Truly, it is a presentation piece, not something to carry and risk having it disappear in an evidence locker if you ever needed it.  If you have $4000 for the R-1000, I don't think another $1000 for a stock model (to carry) would be a deal breaker for most.

Karl told me they found the blue tinted grips hidden away somewhere (in perfect condition) and decided to use them on the R-1000.

The new finishes were very nice, and much slicker than the original finish in a tactile sense.  Perhaps I misconstrued what he said, but Karl seemed to indicate that the new finish might result in less of a need for lubrication.  Either way, I liked the looks of black slide model.  :D

edited for typo
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 03:18:56 AM by pocketgun »

Offline dfsutton

• Sharpshooter
  • US Veteran
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2006, 05:07:57 AM »
$4000? Hmmm... I just don't get what motivates some people.
"All that is thought should not be said, all that is said should not be written, all that is written should not be published, all that is published should not be read."

- Rabbi Menachem Morgenstern

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2006, 10:53:02 AM »
It is interesting what people will pay for something.

Some would NEVER consider spending $1,000 on an R-9 when you could have a P-3AT for $300 -- maybe they percieve no tangible difference, or maybe they just don't have the money to spend for what they consider to be marginal differences.

Others will spend $1,000 on an R-9, but the thought of $4,000 for an engraved R-9 is crazy talk to them.

Everyone has their point of pain financially.  The last time I was in NYC I couldn't believe what people would spend for purses or shoes -- none of which are worth a damn thing when you are done with them.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline Erich

• Expert
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2006, 01:15:15 PM »
Good point: My wife has several purses that cost more than my R9s.  ::)

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2006, 03:23:01 PM »
DDGator      Thanks for the report on the shot show.  Sounds like all is good.  I did get the opportunity to see gun  #1000.  It is truly special.  I was seriously looking into bidding on it but it quickly went past my funds to guns account.  Somebody is going to be very happy.  Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2006, 03:46:52 PM »
Duane,

Thanks for the updates!!

The engraved models look nice for sure..

I just am not so much into that for the pocket..Very nicely done though it appears..

The all black finish does' strike my fancy,as I would think it may help with the finish aspect over time..I guess it depends on what the process is..
Looks good anyways!!

When I first saw the pic of R1000,it struck me as a very beautiful piece-especially with the blue grips!! ;D
When I had spoken briefly with Karl a bit back,I had mentioned my like of the blues,and he said something to the effect of, you never know what will turn up around here!! :)

Wishing the R Bros a good Shot Show..

Once again,much appreciation goes out for the info..

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2006, 07:11:16 PM »
Thanks Duane!  Liked the report very much.  The all black looks nice and if it would require less lube it would be a big plus.  Only problem is I already have two.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline dfsutton

• Sharpshooter
  • US Veteran
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2006, 11:40:32 PM »
It is interesting what people will pay for something.

Some would NEVER consider spending $1,000 on an R-9 when you could have a P-3AT for $300 -- maybe they percieve no tangible difference, or maybe they just don't have the money to spend for what they consider to be marginal differences.

Others will spend $1,000 on an R-9, but the thought of $4,000 for an engraved R-9 is crazy talk to them.

Everyone has their point of pain financially.  The last time I was in NYC I couldn't believe what people would spend for purses or shoes -- none of which are worth a damn thing when you are done with them.

Ok, well here's my take on it:

1. To me, I"m a definate function over form kind of guy.  I wear shoes that are more comfortable. I pick clothes for a purpose, not necessarily a design.  Now, I try to pick things that I think are attractive and appealing, but that's not my first concern.

2. The R9s is a tool.  In my opinion, the quality of a tool does matter, especially when its a tool that is designed to save your life.  No other 9mm is as small or high quality, and that's why I will pay near $1000 to make sure I have that security.

3.  Is Rohrbaugh established enough yet to warrant collector's pieces? I realize that the R9s is an amzing little gun, but its only been out 2 years or so. In my experience, if you go into a room with 30 supposed "gun guys" and you start to talk about Rohrbaughs, well over half of them will not have even heard of the company.

So the question I have is, "Would you pay upwards of 4 times the price for a collector's edition of a table saw by a new and upcoming company that specialized in high quality carpentry tools?"

I realize we're all different, and we all have different motivations and values. But that's just my perspective on the subject.
"All that is thought should not be said, all that is said should not be written, all that is written should not be published, all that is published should not be read."

- Rabbi Menachem Morgenstern

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2006, 11:47:41 PM »
I just heard from Eric again tonight.  The show is going well.  $4,000 is still the top bid for the R-1000 gun.

Interestingly, Eric mentioned that George Kelgren stopped by the Rohrbaugh booth today...  ;)

Duane (DDGator)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2006, 11:57:17 PM »
Dave - I certainly could not afford a $4k outlay - most could not but I think that for folks who have money spare - it is tempting.  Chances are if it is held long enough it will aquire significant ''collector status'' - plus as an art object - that too appeals to some.

I am more like you - function wins every time - but form is still appreciated :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2006, 12:15:40 AM »

No matter what..

When it comes down to it...

The Ks matter.. ::)

It all depends on what a guy is willing to pay.. ;)

4K is an outlay that I could not do at this time..

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe