Author Topic: Two Nice Small EDC Flashlights From Fenix  (Read 13188 times)

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
Two Nice Small EDC Flashlights From Fenix
« on: November 18, 2006, 02:11:26 PM »

The Fenix LOP SE (Special Edition) and the Fenix P1

The Fenix LOP Special Edition is nice with the three levels of light - 4, 12, and 30 Lumens - on one AAA batery.

I really though like the Fenix P1 (size of your thumb).  A regulated 55 Lumens for a constant 1hr 45 min of brightness with one Surefire SF123 battery.

I keep the Fenix P1 in the holster that comes with it in my shirt pocket by my cell phone.  Got two extras as gifts.

Both lights pictured below.  
Favorite light is still the Surefire E2e but it is over twice the length as the P1.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 02:11:59 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
Re: Two Nice Small EDC Flashlights From Fenix
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 02:29:35 PM »
Dave, nice photo of the .32, with all that light! ::) ;D  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 08:19:32 AM »
Those P1s are amazing, especially for the price.  I keep one in the elastic side pocket of my cellular telephone case with a spare battery stowed in the bottom of the center compartment.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline carrot

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 12:43:25 AM »
The new P1D and P1D CE lights from Fenix are coming soon. (Should be here by the end of the month.) They'll have 3 regulated output levels, strobe and SOS functionality, similarly accessible to the L0P SE.

The CE uses the new Cree XR-E emitter for higher output.

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 04:07:13 PM »
...and the Fenix P1[/b]
...I really though like the Fenix P1 (size of your thumb).  A regulated 55 Lumens for a constant 1hr 45 min of brightness with one Surefire SF123 battery.
...I keep the Fenix P1 in the holster that comes with it in my shirt pocket by my cell phone.  Got two extras as gifts.

Hey, Dave, thanks for leading me right again! Nice gift idea, too! I ordered a P1 in "Natural" finish  ::) sight, um, unseen. (Although I promise not to look into the light directly when I get it;D

Makes me ask the natural question. Does the P1 get really hot when it's on for a long time or merely warm? One minor complaint about SOME of my SureFires is they get pretty hot, especially on "high".
BTW-as of right now, and this is only my limited opinion, since I haven't used every flashlight available, ounce for ounce, the SF L4 Lumamax with a 1 watt SF Luxeon head is just about the most perfect light for my needs. It's incredible outside at night when I'm walking my dogs. (They're hard to see in the dark as they are mostly black, with some barely discernible white patches). I'm particularly impressed with it when it's foggy. I can see the fog really well ;D AND, unlike my L1 and L2, (or the L4 with it's standard 5w Luxeon bulb) it only gets warm, not hot after extended use. The one watter, with two 123 bulbs, offers me all things I like, converging into one incredible package... Or not. I just don't know ;)

Disclaimer: I am not related to anyone. Anyone good that can get me discounts, that is...

Cal
"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 10:08:46 PM »
Steve (Cal),

The P1 gets warm but not hot.  Now my favorite outside light SF E2E can get hot.

The P1 has two big brothers now P1D and P1D Cree.  I may try them eventually - they are a little bigger.

My favorite walking the dog light is a Fenix L2T.  A regulated 55 lumens for over 3 hours, or can be adjusted to 10 lumens for over 22 hours on two AA batteries.

Dave

« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 10:20:04 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
Flight of the Fenix...
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 06:18:06 PM »
Steve (Cal),

The P1 gets warm but not hot.  Now my favorite outside light SF E2E can get hot.

Well, I just received my P1 in "Natural" finish and it's so cool! I love the brilliant Luxeon 3w bulb. It's a good one! Nice and light, even with the battery, and I LOVE that little tactical pouch that comes with it.

As an aside, I also got a Maxpedition Bug Out Bag, and it's perfect for what I want in a BOB;D And the P1 is perfect to carry with it.

Thanks for that heads up again, Dave. I'm gonna tell all my friends...

Steve Amigo
BTW-I ordered the P1 yesterday (Nov. 30) and it arrived today (Dec.1)!
Awesome service!
"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 07:06:52 AM »
I am amazed by the size and performance of the P1.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline ROKTMAN

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 11:12:25 AM »
I just ordered the P1 and L2T.Appreciate the heads up.

I have 4 of the Surefires that I used as a LEO.These look really cool and much smaller.

I have  Executive that is only 30 lumens and larger than the P1.Can`t wait to get them. ;D ;D

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 09:03:12 PM »
ROKTMAN

I think you will be happy with the P1 - I bought four of them - kept two and gave two as gifts.

You can also get a L1T body with the L2T to use it with just 1 AA if desired - I did but don't use it since I have the P1.  If you want the longest time with the L2T use e2 lithium AA batteries.  They last a lot longer than the alkaline - but again the alkaline can be cheap to replace.

The niced thing about both lights are they are regulated - keep about a constant brightness through most of the battery life.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 09:05:38 PM by MountainMan »

Offline ROKTMAN

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 12:42:11 AM »
ThankSS MM.I think the Fenixs are going to take some significant market share from  the Surefires.I have an original 6P that was the standard years ago.I have an 8X which a nice bright rechargable that I used in the car while on patrol.I also carried the Millenium combat light on duty which has an awesome 225 lumens in  package about 7 inches long.The Executive is a nice off duty tactical light......that is until the Fenixs get here!

I think the L2T will be my fav but I had to get the P1 with it`s awesome 55 lumens of output.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 05:19:22 PM »
Thanks for the info, gentlemen; I just ordered the P1D-CE.
It looks fantastic. I was looking at some Blackhawks but
this one looks superior at a more reasonable price.

Offline carrot

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 06:36:35 PM »
In my opinion, Surefire and Fenix lights can peacefully coexist. I like to carry a Surefire C2 and a Fenix L1P or L2T so I save the batteries in my C2 for when I really need a high-output light. Plus it's so much cheaper to feed the Fenix.

From Fenix-Store.com, you can get an additional 5% off on Fenix lights with the coupon code ROHRBAUGH5 when you spend $20 or more.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 06:38:22 PM by carrot »

Offline ROKTMAN

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 08:06:23 PM »
ThankSS carrot for the discount.Maybe I can get it on the next order.I think the C2 is nice too.

Offline ROKTMAN

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 01:47:44 AM »
Well I got my two lights today and here is the review I promised.

I ordered the L2T and the P1.It took the USPS 8 days to get it from Atlanta to Cincinnati. :-/ Once they arrived I was pleasently surprised.

The packaging was excellent with the clamshell being easy to open and not have to cut it in pieces like the DVD`s nowadays.Each accessory had a place in the package and each came with a holster and lanyard clip.

Upon opening the lights the ergonomics of each was excellent.The nod IMHO went to the L2T with the tailcap switch and longer more streamline design.Switching between the light outputs on the L2T was easily accomplished by twisting the bezel and activating the tailight switch.

I tested them on the  back deck and each had no problem illuminating the whole length of 24' deck with room to spare.I directed the light to the woods in back of the house and the illuminated out to 60 feet or so and up to the top of some 30 foot tall trees.

I think either would be a good choice for EDC but I favor the L2T.I am waiting for the P1D to come out to add it to the stable as well.Service from the www. Fenix-store.com was good and I can`t blame the slow delivery on them...it was free too.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 03:15:36 AM by ROKTMAN »