Author Topic: Cheapest gun you ever purchased  (Read 7427 times)

Offline kanuist

• Expert
Cheapest gun you ever purchased
« on: May 28, 2010, 07:48:33 PM »
A few years ago I was in need of prop gun for a 90 mile stagecoach reenactment I was participating in.  At the time all I had were semi-autos.  My nearby Cabela's was having a sale of used guns they had taken in on trade.  I took the morning off work and arrived before the doors opened.

I was looking for either a revolver or a lever action rifle, but cheap was the name of the game.  The first gun that peaked my interest was the dandy birds head grip revolver pictured below.  My hands caressed its surfaces and I soon knew this was the gun I was going to buy.  

I quickly learned why it was priced at just under $20, that's right, "20".  The action was locked up.  I could not pull the hammer to half or full cock, nothing appeared to function and it was very dirty.  What the heck, how could I go wrong.

I purchased it without a second thought.  Later that night I sprayed it down with Hoppes Elite gun cleaner and let it sit for a few minutes.  Then I attempted to work the action and after a few frustrating minutes was able to disassemble the gun.  That is when I found out that the barrel was clogged.  I first thought rust, but the rest of the gun was in good condition.  Then I saw some shinny spots and decided it was lead.  I soaked the barrel with a lead remover product and eventually got the barrel clean.  It had no rust.

This little revolver has a safety and someone failed to engage it when dry firing it.  This peened over ever chamber to the point that a .22 cartridge could not be loaded.  I took a small file and enlarged the chambers until a .22 would slide in easily.

My FIE Lil'Ranger now shoots like a champ.  Providing tight groups at 25 feet while shooting one handed.  I could not have been more happier with my $20 investment.

At the time I purchased this gun, I didn't know who FIE was.  I later found out that it stood for "Firearms Import Export".  They imported guns mostly from Europe.  I have been told that this revolver was made by Tanfoglio of Italy.  Not sure if this is true.
Join the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network
http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Cheapest gun you ever purchased
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 09:11:19 PM »
A very interesting little gun, and a great $20 investment.  I liked it's story as well.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 01:15:14 PM »
My cheapest was a Jennings chrome plated 22 auto with Rosewood grips,
$45 new through a through a friend who had his FFL and would order guns for for us and charge his cost to friends. I've had it for thirty years and it has always shot flawlessly.

John  
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 01:45:09 PM »
I have a Jennings as well, but blue.  Only shot probably 3 mags and is as new in the box.  Got it from my Dad.    
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 02:53:25 PM »
The cheapest one I have bought was one of those small youth henry single shot 22's.  My youngest son and I were at a gunshow and he picked it up off a table and had the biggest smile.  He said DAD can we buy this one?  At the time we were broke and I said not this time buddy. The dealer at the table said give me twenty bucks and its his.  What a great day!

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 04:10:43 PM »
Nice work, Kanuist! That's what I call bringing something back from the dead.

My cheapest gun would have to be a door prize at a gun-club event long ago ($5.00 per ticket, if memory serves) -- behold . . . the mighty Raven MP-25:   ::)

« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 04:11:14 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 04:51:47 PM »

The inimitable Raven Arms MP-25; not carried at all and shot even less.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 05:51:06 PM »
The cheapest one I have bought was one of those small youth henry single shot 22's.  My youngest son and I were at a gunshow and he picked it up off a table and had the biggest smile.  He said DAD can we buy this one?  At the time we were broke and I said not this time buddy. The dealer at the table said give me twenty bucks and its his.  What a great day!

Moments such as that . . . priceless!   8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Recluse

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 05:36:24 PM »
Do squirt guns count?  If so, then my cheapest is probably  about $0.79. ;D

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 06:48:13 PM »
Hey, wait a minute.  If squirt guns count, I received 4 water pistols as a kid for popsicle wrappers!    ;D

Offline kanuist

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 10:04:58 PM »
I think we need to stick to firearms that fire metallic projectiles (IMO).

I learned a few interesting things riding shotgun on the stagecoach.  And yes, I did get to carry the stages shotgun.

Slacker:  A mule or horse that walks a step behind the others.  This keeps the harness slack so he/she isn't pulling any weight.

Dumber than a box of rocks:  A round leather box containing rocks that is carried between the driver and person riding shotgun.  If a horse or mule is slacking, the person riding shotgun hauls off at it with a few rocks.

I actually got to chuck rocks at a slacker about 9 or 10 times.  
Join the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network
http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 11:20:16 PM »

I have never bought a cheap gun. My grandmother bought me an H&R .410 when I was 11 and took it away from me when I shot a hole through the roof of her new Pontiac thinking it was unloaded.