Author Topic: Concealed Carry Handguns 2014 Self Defense Buyer's Guide - no Rohrbaugh  (Read 7320 times)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
It's very strange that there is no mention in the magazine anywhere of the Rohrbaugh firearms.  I'm not just talking about articles, I mean the R9 is not even mentioned in the appendix listing of all concealed carry firearms.

Harris Outdoor Group - Michael O. Humphries (Editor)

At least Pocket Pistols 2014 Concealed Carry Buyer's Guide Magazine has Rohrbaugh Firearms listed in the back appendix.

My R9 has been a great little gun so far.  The R9 gets good reviews on the forums from people who own them.  I'm amazed that someone can publish a magazine called "Concealed Carry Handguns 2014 Self Defense Buyer's Guide" and not even mention the R9  anywhere in the magazine.

Offline feedramp

"It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze"

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Concealed Carry Handguns 2014 Self Defense Buyer's Guide - no Rohrbaugh
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 08:55:16 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 09:10:42 PM »
Now I certainly would not want anyone to think that my four years in Africa (where the term, "And what do you have for me today?", was commonly heard), left me somewhat jaded, but it occurs to me that the answer to the omission here under discussion might be found simply by following the money. 

In my not-so-humble opinion, here in my seventh decade on this third rock from the sun and not particularly giving a driveling whit what some "gunzine" publisher or editor might think, the Rohrbaugh R9 is and has been for the past decade quite simply the finest pocket pistol yet designed and produced.  For any so-called "Buyer's Guide" for concealed carry handguns to ignore the R9 speaks for itself.

Further, deponent sayeth not.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 08:07:36 AM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 09:45:19 PM »

It appears that we can count you on-board with the R9.

Offline Buffalo

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 07:33:10 AM »
Richard raised a really good point that I never really thought about when I would read magazines which exclude the Rohrbaugh from the list of "best" pocket guns.  In my opinion the R9 is the best... or at least the best I own in the pocket group.
It would not sell magazines if every year the R9 was listed at the top though manufactures are still making the latest and best new pocket 9 each year.  Sometime not being mentioned says a lot more than being mentioned.
“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
― The Dalai Lama (May 2001)

Offline feedramp

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 11:31:28 AM »
 I called Rohrbaugh twice today to inquire on, and possibly place,  an order for one.  Left my info and a meesage.

Anyone here know why the "Special Forces"  model is so much higher in price than the others ?
"It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze"

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 04:43:17 PM »
I called Rohrbaugh twice today to inquire on, and possibly place,  an order for one.  Left my info and a meesage.

Anyone here know why the "Special Forces"  model is so much higher in price than the others ?

Only two dozen (plus or minus) of the Special Forces R9s were made, and they were given a lot of extra hand work plus Wilson Combat's Armor-Tuff coating, if my memory is correct. The result is a rare pistol that is worth a premium price if you can find one for sale.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 10:30:29 AM »
Richard raised a really good point that I never really thought about when I would read magazines which exclude the Rohrbaugh from the list of "best" pocket guns.  In my opinion the R9 is the best... or at least the best I own in the pocket group.
It would not sell magazines if every year the R9 was listed at the top though manufactures are still making the latest and best new pocket 9 each year.  Sometime not being mentioned says a lot more than being mentioned.

ALSO should note that gun writers/magazines expect free pistols from the maker for "testing" and resent having to send them back.  They are also more likely to write about the product of a manufacturer which advertises heavily on their pages.  Rohrbaugh is already selling  all it can produce I imagine, so why pay for more advertising?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 11:37:17 AM »
I can't imagine Infinity giving away Strayer-Voigts to gun writers, or Christensen giving a Damascus 1911.

I thought it was all a racket anyway - these gun writers get these free loaners and write up nice reviews of everything they're given even if the gun is junk.

Years ago one of the gun mags gave this Israeli made sub-compact a really great review,  (this was before the Internet).  I bought the gun.  It was junk.  FTF, failure to go into battery FTGFB ?  FTE.   Could not get my money back.  I had to settle for a trade-in for an Argentine BHP.  These gun writers must hate Internet forums and YouTube because their days of bullshitting the public are over.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 06:31:36 PM »
Well I'm going to continue my rant because the writers, editors and publishers for the gun magazines are morons.

At the grocery store I read through Gun World's Concealed Carry Handguns.  They wrote about the Heizer DoubleTap (really it is DoubleTap Defense but - whatever) a gun that fires two rounds with a single pull of the trigger and feels like an M-80 going off in your hand when it does.

They talked about the Caracal C - a pistol that's been permanently recalled.

They talked about the Charter Arms 9mm PITBULL.  I think Charter Arms makes about 4 of those a year.  My LGS told me to not get my hopes up, it might take a year for them to get one even if they ordered one for me.

What they didn't talk about anywhere in the magazine was the Rohrbaugh R9.

Ugh...

Offline garymass

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 04:17:05 AM »
I have had a bunch of guns but always liked owning my R9 and the only reason I traded it was for a gun that was hard to come by and gave it to a friend who did right by me.

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 04:47:09 PM »
I have had a bunch of guns but always liked owning my R9 and the only reason I traded it was for a gun that was hard to come by and gave it to a friend who did right by me.

Gary

Don't keep us guessing. What was the gun that you aquired that was hard to come by? Inquiring minds want to know.

Offline feedramp

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 08:21:36 AM »
Dang it Feedramp, that made me blow my breakfast oatmeal out my nose!
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis