Author Topic: Breakdown tool  (Read 7021 times)

Offline garymass

• Expert
Breakdown tool
« on: January 19, 2014, 03:23:14 AM »
So I have a quick question, if someone was to lend me a breakdown tool and I was to make a handful would this be ok, not trying to make money off of it and would only make a dozen or so because I want one as I owned one with my last R9. I do not think there is a patent on this tool like the base plate one that is no longer made either. So would this be alright with making someone mad because then I would not even think of doing it then!

Gary

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
Re: Breakdown tool
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 03:48:05 AM »
I don't believe anyone would mind? Your talking about the RJ tool right?
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 08:16:06 AM »
If your talking about the RJ tool, can I be on the list for 1 of the 12 you make?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 08:22:34 AM by Z »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 09:11:30 AM »
I would also like to buy one if/when available.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 01:17:07 PM »
I think its a great idea, one I had thought of, but hadn't looked into.  Nice to see you take the initiative!  Keep us informed...

Offline garymass

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 02:05:43 PM »
Yes I'm talking about the RJ tool, I used mine all the time when I had my previous R9 so it would not be the same without one.

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 04:08:00 PM »
Yes I'm talking about the RJ tool, I used mine all the time when I had my previous R9 so it would not be the same without one.

I agree. I do miss that tool. It makes reassembly a snap.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 06:33:27 PM »
I must not be doing it right, I used a chopstick today, didn't't get the pin in, gave up and just used my hand the way the manual suggests re-assembly.

bamboobob

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 07:14:47 PM »
So I have a quick question, if someone was to lend me a breakdown tool and I was to make a handful would this be ok, not trying to make money off of it and would only make a dozen or so because I want one as I owned one with my last R9. I do not think there is a patent on this tool like the base plate one that is no longer made either. So would this be alright with making someone mad because then I would not even think of doing it then!

Gary

I think you (If your are ready with tools and flat stock)should  just go for it.
  You know what to do.
Make it any length you like.

Play with chop stick or tie wrap end.
Play with paper clip  (I think  both sides of "U" should be double)
Making some may be fun or major P.I.A
I too would like to try one, along with all the other stuff.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 07:19:02 PM by bamboobob »

Offline garymass

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 04:15:12 AM »
Ok I will just need someone willing who ownes one to send it to me so that I can duplicate it or maybe even improve with others feedback.

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 04:48:35 PM »
Ok I will just need someone willing who ownes one to send it to me so that I can duplicate it or maybe even improve with others feedback.

There has to be somebody out there with a spare tool you can loan to Gary to get this project off the ground.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 05:56:39 PM »
The specs for the "RJ Two-in-One Takedown/Reassembly Tool" are here on the Forum and can be found using the "Search" function. They can also be found by experimenting with an ordinary chopstick, just as RJ did in creating the tool before his death.  However, with regard to lending one of the tools, mine is inscribed by RJ himself and I wouldn't think of lending it any more than I would lend my Framingdale R9.

This entire "tool" subject is merely the product of curiosity by some owners seeking an easier way to deal with the takedown/reassembly process of this extraordinary little pistol than that pictured in the factory manual.  In fact, no tools are really necessary if one truly understands the pistol's design.  For example, the entire process can be accomplished by careful compression of the slide-recoil assembly on the edge of a work bench if hand strength is not sufficient or vicegrips are not available.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline garymass

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 12:34:56 AM »
Hi Richard,

I would not argue that point, though I owned an old RJ tool along with a holster which went wth my old R9. I can take down and reassemble the R9 without any tools as I can with many of my firearms. To me I like to bring things back to be very similar to what I owned before, the R9 with CF grips and a serial number within the same range of what I had prior, which is what took me awhile to get another.

Your tool sounds like a great piece to treasure, so I would not lend it out either, I figure there might be someone out there with an extra that they can spare and if there is not then I guess I will decide after that. I plan on doing these by hand so that is why I would rather have a model then just numbers.

Gary

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 06:54:41 PM »
Gary:

Good luck in your effort.  And I didn't mean for my previous post to have an "edgy" tone.  The last thing I want to project in my so-called "golden years" is the image of a crotchety old SOB.   ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline garymass

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 07:41:44 PM »
No worries, I respect your opinion just want to make this cool item for some of us.