Author Topic: Way off topic -- Double Edged Safety Razors  (Read 14208 times)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Way off topic -- Double Edged Safety Razors
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 06:32:35 PM »

This subject is a bit more complex than I thought at first; one size does not fit all:

http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/education/double-edge-shaving/233-safety-razor-aggressiveness.html

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 10:12:52 PM »
Garymass --just do it!

I started by ordering the Micro-Touch One of the TV ad.  It came with a razor, a stand and 20 blades.  Actually not a bad deal.  The razor looks like a generic Gillette design with the twist open barn doors for easy blade replacement.  It's a functional razor and was enough to sell me on the concept.  If you need a "proof of concept" razor, this may be the way to go. You can always keep it as a travel razor or a spare, or pass it along to someone else when you buy something nicer.

If you are pretty sure you wan to go this way, then consider a nicer razor to start.  You can buy the above-mentioned Edwin Jagger, of course.   ;)  You can also pick up an old Gillette razor in great condition off eBay for around $50 -- more for some of the really popular models.  The cool things is that DE razors are pretty simple devices and age well. 

I am interested in the Gillette adjustable models because I am still figuring out exactly what level of "aggressiveness" fits me best.  The adjustables (like the Gillette Fatboy and Gillette Slim) allow for adjustments in the "aggressiveness" or exposure of the razor blade.

Once you buy a razor (and a brush if you are so inclined), the shaving can be quite inexpensive.  I just bought 50 "Shark" razor blades for $6.  That will last me almost a year.  Inexpensive shaving soap cakes are just a couple bucks each and should last months.  Compare that to using a "Mach 3" disposable cartridge razor and aerosol shaving cream!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 10:14:27 PM by DDGator »
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 01:24:19 PM »
True to his word, Ratzo sent me a vintage Gillette Fatboy in excellent condition.  This is a truly classic Gillette adjustable from (I think) 1958.  This is a nickle-plated brass "twist-to-open" razor that retailed for $1.95!   Very, very cool.  And not a bad investment given the recent prices for these things on eBay!

Can you imagine buying something for even $25 dollars today and still using it with no degredation in performance in the year 2070?

Thanks, Charlie!  I will use it tomorrow.   :D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 03:27:00 PM by DDGator »
Duane (DDGator)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 11:07:22 PM »
I am happy to report a great shave with the Gillette Fatboy!

Better pics below.  Classic adjustable razor.   ;D

Duane (DDGator)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 11:11:05 AM »
In my experience, the people who have success in turning these up find them at resale shops and flea markets.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 11:23:35 AM »
In my experience, the people who have success in turning these up find them at resale shops and flea markets.

That certainly is one way, and probably the cheapest.  Interestingly, there is a sudden renewal of interest in DE wet shaving, so the razors command a bit more than they used to, price-wise.  However, there were so many of them made that they are not all that hard to find.

The Gillette Fatboy is one of the most sought after and can be found on eBay at prices ranging from $30 to $80+.  Other very good vintage Gillettes can be had much cheaper -- often around the $20-$30 price range.  The price depends if you want one is good shaving condition or good collecting condition. 
Duane (DDGator)

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 08:16:44 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUG9qYTJMsI

Have you thought about the economic impact of your purchase?  Dollar shave club creates jobs!

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 09:49:01 PM »

I mostly focused on the economic impact to me!   :D

Gillette should go back to selling .25 cent blades and $50 razors.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline garymass

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 10:39:03 PM »
I look at the razor I use now, a Gillette multi blade (5) that has a battery which vibrates the razor.  Does it give me a good shave sure but not for what I pay, blades are expensive and I usually use the blade longer than I should because of cost trying to get the most out of it.

I do remember using the disposable Gillette razors and they were not good and use to cut my face often with them but maybe it was because I was younger.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 11:21:53 PM »

For the price of one plastic Gillette "vibrating" handle you could buy a vintage Gillette razor that will last the rest of your life.  Then you could buy 100 razor blades for about $9 delivered to your door -- that is about two years of shaving at 5 times a week!
Duane (DDGator)

Offline garymass

• Expert
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2014, 05:01:05 AM »
Well I have watched a bunch of videos on shaving and think I will hunt down a fat boy but you are right about finding one on eBay, price range and condition.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2014, 04:33:03 PM »
Ultimately, you will wind up with more than one razor...   ;)

The Fatboys seem to get more and more expensive as people find out about them.  You could get an adjustable cheaper -- the Gillette Slim or the Super Adjustable.  Function is about the same, but cheaper because less in demand.

Another good choice would be a Gillette Super Speed.  It is a "twist to open" but not adjustable -- comparable to about a 3 or 4 on the Fatboy adjustable scale.  You could get one of those for $20 to $25.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline garymass

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2014, 05:49:20 AM »
Yeah I never do anything the easy way,that is what my wife tells me and I guess after 25 years she probably right.

Are you at number 5'on the fat boy, seems that many like that number

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2014, 09:48:12 PM »

5 was a little too much with a new blade.  I'm backing down to 4 on a new blade, and maybe up to 5 toward the end of the week.  I usually use a blade 5 times.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline garymass

• Expert
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2014, 03:02:35 PM »
Okay are any blades decent to use or is there one in particular people feel are better, I would figure most of thes types of blades would be similar anyway.

Now I have to get a brush and try some creams to get the right one.

How many passes are you doing at each shave?