Author Topic: Corrosion issue  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Corrosion issue
« on: June 17, 2006, 03:23:27 AM »
I didn't disassemble my mags in a while, and I had some minor pitting/rust in the corner of the bottom of the magazine...kind of hard to explain, but basically, magazines seem a great deal more susceptible to rust than the gun.  I suspect that water/sweat has an easier time to make it into them -- the brass on the bullets also showed some tarnish.  I shouldn't have gone a month w.o. cleaning them.  Anyway, something for people to check on.  

Does anyone know if the stealth model will have coated magazines?
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
Re: Corrosion issue
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 04:46:34 PM »
I am quite surprised with the corrosion pitting issue.  The stainless steel should hold up well.  The weld seems would be the most susceptible part of the magazine for corrosion.  I know you have stated you carry the R9 allot while doing sweaty manual labor.  Taking the salt from your sweat into account and the dissimilar metals in the ammo cartridges could lead to you having to the clean and protect the metal components of the magazine more often than normal.  There also is the possibility of some alloy impurities when the raw stock was made for the magazine itself.
Respectfully,
Jim

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 09:08:31 PM »
Brad:

I seem to recall from your previous postings that your daily routine involves working in an environment of high heat and humidity.  Rohrbaugh outsources the manufacture of magazines for the R9 to Check-Mate Industries.  I don't know the grade of steel which Check-Mate uses for the mags, but I suspect that it is less than the 17-4 stainless grade used for the slides or the 416 stainless grade used for the barrel of the R9.  As such, the magazines -- and certainly the brass of the cartridges, will be expected to show signs of corrosion before the slide or the barrel or the 7075 grade aluminum of the frame.      

My life style is somewhat "sedate" these days, but there was a time when cleaning and lubricating my sidearm was as much a nightly ritual as brushing my teeth.   8)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 09:27:53 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 04:45:42 AM »
It's my own fault -- I've been checking and cleaning the gun, I just didn't think about taking apart the magazines -- the corrosion was on the magazine where the base plate slides on -- I'll be keeping it much cleaner from now on -- yes, my environment is humid, hot, and I have corrosive sweat -- I've always been amazed how well the pup did, and I still am.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.