Author Topic: Now the NFA wait begins.......  (Read 9555 times)

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Now the NFA wait begins.......
« on: May 21, 2016, 12:47:44 PM »
Decided to try something off the wall this week, submitted an electronic Form 1 for a Short Barreled Shotgun (SBS) to the BATFE.

Once properly approved and I have in my grubby little hands all the paperwork necessary including that beautiful $200 tax stamp to start and complete my project, I will construct my first O/U 'sawed off' shot gun.

Starting with a Beretta Silver Pigeon in 20 gauge.  I have the receiver with a youth adjustable stock on it, and have access to some damaged barrels.

The stock will be shaped into a pistol grip type configuration.  The adjustable part sold...........so if anyone is interested? :D

The barrels will be bought (the seller is holding them for me).  Then I will shorten them to about 11.5 inches to just clear the forestock, take care of the required engraving to be 100% legal, then install em'.  Probably even add a magnetic Hiviz fiber sight to the front as a point of reference.

In the end the shotgun should be about 20 inches in total length.

If I remember this is the classic Italian Lupara configuration.

From what I read, the 20 gauge should be pretty easy to handle even with 3 inch loads.

So, now my wait begins.  Bad news is that this is a just before new NFA regulations take effect, so Sara Jones is probably swamped with work.  Guessing that the paperwork will take anywhere from 30 days to 7 months to process........................ugggghhhhhhh.

8)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 04:21:36 PM by MikeInTexas »

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Re: Now the NFA wait begins.......
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 05:04:22 PM »
Email from BATFE, paperwork accepted and it is in the first stages of processing.

For those that are interested, here is a picture of the adjustable stock.

I will soon have no use for it, so if you or someone you might know are interested please contact me about it.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 01:42:43 PM »
It would appear that you are covering all the required bases. Good luck! And please post photos of the finished project.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 11:33:08 PM »
Thanks, I will post pictures as soon as I am able.

Another update on the process, they took my money.  No surprise they take care of that little bit of business fast, and long before anyone does any meaningful work on my application. :'(

Still trying to get rid of the stock parts.

Does anyone know of a good organization that teaches kids, or size challenged adults to shoot shotguns that might use this?  Would love to donate it to a charitable cause.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 02:35:29 PM »
Stock no longer available......................

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 09:50:48 PM »
And it begins again........................

Submitted another one this evening, nothing special just a common AR becoming a Short Barreled Rifle.

I will probably send them another two bills tomorrow asking for permission to build a can.

These BS procedural rule changes by the anti-gunners that are in charge at the BATFE is getting under my skin..........................

Going to stew on this until the stamps start coming in, then it's happy time. :D

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 07:25:33 PM »
Quick reminder, tomorrow is the last day to file if you have a trust and want to avoid the issues with the new system.  So if you want to make a Short Barreled Shotgun, Short Barreled Rifle, AOW, Silencer, or transfer one of those or a machine gun, today and tomorrow are good days to do it for folks who hold their NFA items in a trust.

For those that don't know, when filing to add an NFA item to a trust Wednesday or later, you will have to provide 2 sets of fingerprints and pictures of everyone on the trust to the BATFE.  You will also be required to send a copy of the trust with all that information to your local chief law enforcement officer. (Something not required now. My CLEO has no clue to what I have in my trust and I want to keep it that way. None of his GD business.)

For those that want to file as individuals, the system is getting easier.  You no longer need permission from the local chief law enforcement officer in your application.  That permission will become a notification after Wednesday.

The eFile system is stressed out, lots of users pushing it past its limits.  The system not working is common now.  However, a postmark on a paper application tomorrow will work.

Those going in now, with the increased volume, I expect first of next year before approval arrives.

For those that don't follow this niche of the gun world, here is a graph sent out by the BATFE last week showing the increase in numbers of these items transfered.

I suspect that last year will be greater than the year before, and this year will blow the top off that with the semi-panic that is hitting due to rule changes.

Hard to believe that gun owners are pumping more than quarter billion dollars into that department each year just in NFA tax stamps!!!

« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 02:18:30 PM by MikeInTexas »

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 05:04:59 PM »
To give you guys an idea about how big this push got before the deadline, this is just from one shop in Austin.  That is 10,000+ applications.

Offline MICHPATRIOT

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 12:52:37 AM »
Wow..those are some amazing numbers! 

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 07:06:26 PM »
Finally they said OK.

Approved today.

Been finishing it up this afternoon. Should have some pictures by tomorrow.

6 months 11 days.

27 weeks 6 days.

195 days.

139 weekdays.

0.53 years

Not that I been counting or anything  8)

Now I figure I got another few months to wait on those items I submitted back in July.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 09:43:25 AM »
Got all the woodwork finished, parts collected and assembled last night.  Got a fiber optic front sight you can't see in the picture.

Going to try and get to the woods tomorrow and try it out.  My shooting bag has a collection of 9 shot, buck shot and a couple of slugs.  Can't wait to see how it performs.  May try and figure out a holster for it to fit the 4-wheeler so I can ride with it securely.

(It is 100% legal, all necessary paperwork completed and approved for anyone on my trust to possess/use.)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 10:03:49 AM »
Nice work.  Definitely not a dove gun....?snakes maybe?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 07:15:55 PM »
Friend of mine FINALLY got his stamps for his UZI, SBR and suppressor. It was 9 months and 3 weeks.  :-* :-* :-*

kevinqjhps
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 09:26:20 PM »
From NFA tracker, the guys that got theirs today waited about 8 months and a week for an efile return.

I expect the wait to get a bit longer as they get closer to the deadline packets.

Hopefully my next stamps will be in within the month.