Author Topic: rohrbaugh listens- New Springs  (Read 25667 times)

Offline jaycee

rohrbaugh listens- New Springs
« on: November 16, 2006, 04:12:17 PM »
Hello to all.   Spoke to Karl Rohrbaugh today. Around Mid January 2OO7, all magazines will have a stiffer spring, about the same time, for those who already own a rohrbaugh handgun, these new springs will be offered for sale by Rohrbaugh as an option. For your info the new springs will be comparable to those found/used in the magazines of the Kahr MK9 or Kahr PM 9. for those familiar with the  Kahrs. By the way the Kahrs do have a very stiff magazine spring. Hopefully this will solve some of the problems that some are experiencing with their handguns. :)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: rohrbaugh listens- New Springs
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 05:05:04 PM »
Great news, I think.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 10:30:36 PM »
Excellent news!

Good to know that Rohrbaugh is reading here and evaluating what is posted to keep improving.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 10:31:08 PM by BillinPittsburgh »
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 04:11:13 AM »
Are they doing this because people thought it would be a good idea, or because they did some testing and found that it solved some problems?  

Many months ago, a gunsmith I trust, Bruce Gray, suggested that issues with the R9 might be "magazine timing" issues.  More recently, others have suggested the same thing.  We have also seen suggestions that new floor plates, which hold the magazine in the grip a bit more tightly, might help.  So the stronger magazine spring idea was born.

Finally, why wait until January 2007 before shipping these standard?  If they solve problems, why not phase them in right away?  I have a stealth on order and will probably get it before January, so now I am thinking I should hold off, since I won't want to pay extra for magazine springs I need.  If they don't solve problems, well, then why would Rohrbaugh be doing it?

« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 04:12:37 AM by jarcher »

Offline jaycee

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 08:53:34 AM »
Hello Jarcher, Happy Thanksgiving to you an you family. I saw your post and will give you an update .  (1) The recoil spring should be changed after every 100 ,this is official. .(2) Rohrbaugh is rushing the manufacture of the new stiffer magazine springs, as we speak. New springs should be available about the next two weeks.  When the new springs are available, the handguns then manufactured will have the new springs as standard.. owners who have already purchased their handgun ,can,if they want to purchase these springs from Rohrabugh ,as a separate option. If I were you I will hold off on that purchase.  :)  

Offline ketap

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 09:28:31 AM »
Shouldnt they give new ones to recent buyers?

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 12:11:46 AM »
Thanks Jaycee, I'll see if I can postpone shipment.

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 06:29:13 PM »
ketap,

Not necessarily.  Most R9's apparently function fine with the present magazine springs.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 08:16:33 PM »
Mine have been fine so far..

When I spoke to Maria 2 weeks ago,she did not know of any changes with springs(recoil),or grip screws(which I ordered anyways)

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 06:15:51 PM »
Brenden,

That's MAGAZINE SPRINGS not recoil springs.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 08:05:54 PM »
RR,
Understood on the springs.. ;)

She was not aware at that time of any changes-I asked.. :)

I understood that the grip screws may be different,and told no? also on the "other" springs..

Things are changing all the time-I know.. ;D

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline S.F._Phantom

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 04:35:32 PM »
 First I would like to thank Rohrbaugh for attempting to produce a fine custom handgun.

I believe that the idea is a good one however the lack of research and development has proven to be a problem.

When I first received my Pup, I heard rumors that I would need to change my recoil spring every 500 rounds.  This did not sound right as I have several other pistols with thousands of rounds through them without ever requiring a recoil spring change.  The next thing I heard was that they needed to be changed after 200 rounds and now it is down to 100 rounds.  What's next, each box of ammo???

During the past eight months, this group has uncovered several issues as to safety and reliability.  I have read numerous posts in reference to ammo problems, recoil spring problems, slides cracking and now magazine problems.  This weapon has become a hobby instead of a functional handgun that one can carry with confidence.

When I purchased this weapon, it was to carry as a secondary weapon while I am at work and an off duty piece when I'm not at work.  Either way, it needed to be one that I could use in a life threatening incident.  

It now sits in my safe pending major upgrades.  

What angers me is that it fits well in my hand, it shoots straight, it's a major caliber and it conceals well.  

It just isn't reliable.

Hopefully these issues can be addressed and corrected in the near future.  
We Are The Pilgrims, Master;We Shall Go Always A Little Further

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 06:15:49 PM »
Phantom,
Why is it in your safe pending major upgrades? If it is
as bad as you say, why isn't it at the factory?
Although a small number of guns have had documented
problems, I don't think that disqualifies all of the others
that are reliable. In a perfect world all guns should be
flawless but they aren't. Rohrbaugh, to my knowledge,
has fixed almost all of the problem guns; in a very few
cases resolution could not be reached and, I believe,
some refund were granted to the owner. If it were
a bad design or lack of research and engineering we would
have had more than a few problems.

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 09:09:18 PM »
Phantom,

While I understand and mostly agree with most of your post I can say that my #1 is probably the most finicky R9 on the planet and #2 is better but not perfect.  With that said since I found the ammo that mine like they are 100% reliable.  The ammo mine like might not be the ammo most prefer to carry but I am confident with it.  The R9 is not perfect, it pushes the 9mm envelope to the absolute maximum.  You can't expect to have the eat any ammo like a CZ for thousands of rounds experience with the R9.

Mine are reliable and I carry them.

I would much prefer to carry a more capeable handgun on my hip for all to see but that is not possible in my state.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline mike468

• Vivre libre ou mourir
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 07:18:08 AM »
I'm looking forward to getting new mag springs when they become available, too. As a new purchaser of an R9s (last week, in fact) I DO think the springs should be free, but if not, I'll still want them. I suspect that all the minor problems I've had with ammo feed are attributable to magazine issues. The gun is finely made and tolerances seem extremely tight. That said, I must agree with Phantom. Until the gun works flawlessly every time I fire it I can't carry it as a last ditch personal defense weapon. None of my other firearms have reliability issues like my R9s does, so I rely on them for CCW. When my R9s is able to join their ranks it'll become my all day every day pocket gun. Until then, it's a work in progress for me.
mike468
R9s