Author Topic: rohrbaugh listens- New Springs  (Read 25668 times)

Offline riffraff

• Master
Re: rohrbaugh listens- New Springs
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2006, 05:54:32 PM »
All good info. on possible improvements to our R9's.
In case there are any newbies and or lurkers reading, capt.koolaid fixed his R9 jam problems by installing Walther  P-38 magazine floorplates in his magazines.  This allowed the mag to seat deeper.  This mod worked for him.  The above mag floorplates are available from Numrich.  They are a long time guns parts supplier and can be found on the web.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline dmobrien2001

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2006, 09:36:57 PM »
I received an early set of the extra long, extra heavy duty mag springs and they do correct 99% of my feeding problems.  (What a bear to install!)

I was still having an occassionaly fail to eject the empty and a couple of strange double feeds (last two rounds, top round high hit in chamber with next round shoved forward into the lower part of the feedramp).  

This was in 100 rounds of self defense ammo. I decided to quit wasting ammo and called it a day.

When I cleaned my R9S I realized my recoil spring was all but shot.  I had probably 400 rounds through it from the factory rebuild so I don't know how many rounds they put through it during the rebuild tests.  I didn't realize the recoil spring is now 100 rounds then exchange. Looks like I need to buy a couple of more.  I'm trying to sort through ammo it likes, but since I had a worn out recoil spring my prior tests are not worth snot.

I've been away too long and haven't been following the trends. My R9S is a long and sordid story.  I told it once on a quick sale ad, but I took it down after talking to Karl, again, when he mentioned the new mag springs.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 09:38:53 PM by dmobrien2001 »
- Dan

Offline S.F._Phantom

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2006, 10:51:34 PM »
Tracker, the ISMI site is sick.  Not much is working on it.  I am going to call them however I was wondering if anyone had spoke to Mr. Rohrbaugh as to the recoil spring issue?

I remember when Glock came out with their springs and they were suppose to be some sort of new material.  I was involved in a test where we put over 10 thousand rounds through a model 17.  Never had to replace a spring in it nor any other parts.  I also understand that the size of the springs are an issue as the R9s are much smaller.  

I am not willing to give up on my pup as I can't believe that we can't find a fix for the recoil problem.
We Are The Pilgrims, Master;We Shall Go Always A Little Further

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2006, 12:32:04 AM »
Phantom,
Thanks, I didn't know about the web site but feel sure
that Marc can answer any questions and is quite helpful.

Offline S.F._Phantom

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2006, 04:50:32 PM »
Just wanted to drop in and wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Years.

Take care, stay safe and have a wonderful holidays.
We Are The Pilgrims, Master;We Shall Go Always A Little Further

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2007, 02:50:28 PM »
dmobrien2001:
+1 on those new magazine springs!
First, I got a new batch of RECOIL SPRINGS that are much stiffer than the original ones.  At the range, I found I was suddenly getting failures to feed. The next round (Win. Silvertip) wasn't making it all the way into the chamber.  Not exactly a jam, but obviously the new RECOIL SPRING had upset the gun's timing.

I spoke to Maria and had her send me new MAGAZINE SPRINGS.  They are heavier gage wire (0.046" vs. 0.042") and 13 coils vs. 10 coils of the original mag springs.  Free length is almost 2.5 inches longer!  I put the mag in my wood-jaw vise to assemble.  You want to get the pieces lined up square and slip the base plate on while keeping your face out of the line of "fire".  If your thumb slips those parts go a long way.

Between the new RECOIL SPRING and MAGAZINE SPRING, my R9S is quite a finger strength exercise machine.

I'm planning a practice session next week.  Hopefully, I'll have the same luck as other Forum members.

Steve  

Offline marvin

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2007, 05:33:39 PM »
Steve
When did you receive the new RECOIL Springs? I got some new ones just before christmas and I'd hate to install one and renew my now corrected feed problem.
How did you correct the new recoil spring induced malfunction?
I had one of the old MAG springs get loose on me earlier this year.I lost track of it after    it bounced off the ceiling the floor and two walls.My wife found the  MIA spring three weeks later in a flower pot.
To all reading this post please be careful and wear eye protection when changing the MAGAZINE Spring.There is a dangerous amount of potential energy stored in that compressed spring and it could hurt ya.

Jeff

Offline jaycee

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2007, 10:38:01 AM »
Steve, I have the new recoil springs and the new magazine springs both installed in my Rohrbaughs, they were perfectly,you can sense the difference,when firing the gun.By the way the new recoil  springs are made by Wolff.As I also mentioned previously,   there will be very shortly new magazine followers, built to the same specs as the old ones,except better materials/composition- Rohrbaugh listens. :)

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2007, 01:09:16 PM »
Hello all,

Geez, if the modifications ever stop my call to Rohrbaugh is going to be expensive.  I am going to get  a set of G10's for my standard R9s, some extra grip screws just in case I lose one, recoil springs, mag springs and followers.  At least I can recoup some money as I intend to sell the black CF's on my standard R9s.  I have the stealth and I much prefer the G10 grips.

I thank God for this forum.  Without it I would be hopelessly adrift as far as my R9's go.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2007, 01:17:12 PM »
I'll be trying the new set-up on Monday.  Manually cycling rounds thru the gun doesn't prove much, of course,  but it sure ejects and chambers smartly.
Guess I'll have to order some of those new followers too.  I wish Rohrbaugh would ship those small parts via U.S. mail rather than signature-required-for-delivery UPS.  It probably makes Rohrbaugh's life easier to use one carrier and set of rules for everything, but it is costly and inconvenient for customers of non-FLL parts.  Or maybe NY requires that.  I'll ask Maria next time I order.

Steve  

Offline jaycee

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2007, 03:47:22 PM »
Hey Riffraff, look at it this way, with the new trio-new recoil springs, new mag.springs and mag.followers- you will be very contented. That is, until the new R45 comes into being :)

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2007, 06:35:52 PM »
jaycee,

I think the R45 will have to be quite a bit larger than the R9.  The R9 is at the top of the size envelope that I prefer.  I don't own any 45's and don't want to have to stock yet another caliber of ammo.  I will pass on the R380 and the R45.  I will just concentrate on makeing my R9's the best that they can be.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2007, 07:43:44 PM »
New recoil springs and mag followers now?  Okay, how do we know which of which we have?  I received my new stealth recently and it came with the old mag springs.  How do I know which recoil spring and followers it has?

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2007, 01:34:48 AM »
 ;D ;D The new magazine springs along with the newest recoil springs worked perfectly.  I tried every kind of ammo in my locker except Rem. Golden Saber. I have a box somewhere - couldn't find it.  Speer GDHP, Win. Silver Tip, white box practice FMJ, yellow box FMJ.  No issues at all.  

As a control, I left the original spring in one mag.  It failed to feed every other round.  Back to the mags with new springs, using ammo from the same batch that just gave me trouble.  No problem.  I'm quite pleased with my now - 900 round veteran.  

I did notice that the recoil spring had shortened considerably after only 50 rounds or so.  

Steve

Offline marvin

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2007, 02:49:24 AM »
Haven't yet changed to the new recoil springs but when I last changed the old spring it was two coils shorter than the replacement.After only two mags I took the pistol down and the just replaced spring had already shortened by two coils.
That raises the question of when to replace the spring;ie spring shortening might not be a reliable measure of spring performance.
I'm sticking with the 100 round  replacement recomendation.