Author Topic: Need your input please  (Read 22044 times)

Offline coyote

• Expert
Need your input please
« on: July 09, 2011, 03:36:04 PM »
a buddy just showed up with his R9, asking for assistance in cleaning it for the first time.

after cleaning it, we compared his barrel to mine.

something didn't look right to me.

below is a photo of both, his on the left.

his barrel has what appears to be an overly rough bore, possibly machining "chatter" marks, about halfway down, on each of the lands.

is this acceptable quality?

if it isn't a rohrbaugh, its too darn big

Offline Robar233

• Master
Re: Need your input please
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 04:54:53 PM »
That does not look right to me. I would send it back in a heartbeat. I have looked down a lot of bores and never seen one that looked like that. It appears something went wrong during the machining of that bore. I am sure Rohrbaugh will replace it if it left the factory like that.  :(

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 05:13:45 PM »
It's a "problem" that has been around for a while.  Rohrbaugh does not see it as a problem as long as the gun functions.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Cleaning;action=display;num=1232376491;start=0

I have owned quite a few early R9's and a couple newer models and none of them had the barrel chatter marks.  

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
For the price that we pay for one of these firearms, that barrel should never have left the factory. Yes, the gun will function and the bullet will exit the barrel. But when you are dropping a minimum of a grand on a pistol, an imperfection a gross as that should not be tolerated.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 08:12:13 PM »
Welcome to Rohrbaugh.  I have had two of them and they both look like your friend's.  Eric sys that is the best they can do.  Get pissed and they will buy it back.  Why would we pay $1200.00 for this is beyond me.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 08:56:55 PM »

Please note the cutaway photo of the broach cut rifling in the following link; it looks similar to your pictures.

http://firearmsid.com/A_bulletIDrifling.htm

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 08:57:10 PM »
coyote.  Ask your buddy, if he is dissatisfied, to call Rohrbaugh and let them know his feelings and go from there.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 09:05:32 PM »

This general issue has already been brought to Rohrbaugh's attention and denied as a problem.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 09:08:09 PM »
MRC was told the same thing and they bought his back; so it's worth the call.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 09:13:54 PM »

Denial and buying back the product does not fix the problem nor does it boost confidence in future or used purchases.

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 09:18:24 PM »
I have to ask the question. Why can't the barrel just be replaced? Why buy back the pistol? You can order a barrel from Sig or Smith. Does Rohrbaugh have a policy that they don't sell or replace barrels?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 09:18:53 PM »
Denial and buying back the product does not fix the problem nor does it boost confidence in future or used purchases.

We're talking about an individual and his dissatisfaction, if that's the case, and buying it back may satisfy him.  
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 09:23:23 PM by kjtrains »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 09:21:32 PM »
I have to ask the question. Why can't the barrel just be replaced? Why buy back the pistol? You can order a barrel from Sig or Smith. Does Rohrbaugh have a policy that they don't sell or replace barrels?

I've thought the same thing, and don't know why that wasn't done.  

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 09:21:55 PM »

No, we are talking about a flaw in the product.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 09:25:13 PM »
He's asking for input, tracker, on what to do.    :)  Well, maybe not.  It does look like a flaw.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 09:28:32 PM by kjtrains »