Author Topic: Ok... Lovin my Rohrbaugh(S)...  (Read 210673 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: I want to love my Rohrbaugh... BUT & A FRESH PERSPECTIVE 😉
« Reply #390 on: August 28, 2014, 08:05:44 PM »
That's pretty accurate IMO. The guns seems to have few gripers on this forum. I would say that 2 of us wouldn't be griping if we weren't caught between a change of hands and needing warranty work. That's pretty good.

As the internet magnifies problems it can also built hype too. There is a bit of hype surrounding the R9. But that all goes back to taking the internet with a grain of salt.

As usual, well put DDGator.

So, hopefully we will hear from Dan and something will be happening with the R9. 
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline Buffalo

• Expert
« Reply #391 on: August 28, 2014, 08:39:22 PM »
I agree completely.  I have the Tribute and haven't had any problems at all.  Not to discount those with problems but for mine it has functioned flawlessly out of the box.  I sat on the fence for awhile prior to purchase but I'm still glad it did.
“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
― The Dalai Lama (May 2001)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Well I'm ready to send the Kimber solo back to Yonkers after 1400 rounds probably wearing out the extractor. Awesome little gun, but due for a tune up.

The Kahr .380 is a bit underpowered with jacket weather just around the corner.

Love my Glock 27 IWB, but hopefully I will be able to add the R9 back to the pocket carry line up really soon.

After receiving the email from Dan Cox hopefully I will get a good call from him this week. 

We will see.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
The Kahr .380 is a bit underpowered with jacket weather just around the corner.

I don't own a 380, because when I purchased my R9 most 380 JHPs were stopping short at 9" to 10" of penetration in the 4 x Denim gel tests and the FMJs were zipping right through 4 layers of denim and zipping right out the back of the 18" gel blocks.

I sort of though why get a 380 when I can get a 9mm almost the same size (the Rohrbaugh R9).

But I also have a theory, This is just my opinion on this but I'll put it out there.

In the late 80s and early 90s the FBI was driving bullet design and development for the 9mm and 40 S&W, and we saw tremendous improvements in bullet designs and terminal performance for those calibers.  IMO though, the ammo manufacturers didn't put nearly as much research or development effort in the 380 ACP.  They did however, slap their name brands on the 380 cartridges, which gave the impression that 380 rounds like PDX and Golden Saber were going to perform as well as their big caliber cousins.  What we saw though is that many of these name-brand cartridges don't do any better than any of the other 380 loadings out there, and don't do that well in general.

Now we've seen a boom in the 380 ACP pocket pistol market with many owners who are intelligent shooters with good knowledge of terminal ballistics now looking for 380 cartridges that perform well out of the 3" barrels.

I think that is creating a market for someone to create bullet designs and loadings that penetrate 4 layers of denim and penetrate to around 13" of gel with some (controlled) expansion, out of 3" barrels.  It will pay to do real design work, test the bullet, re-design, re-test and re-design to get a bullet that will reliably penetrate 13" in gel through 4 layers of denim.

I think we will see improved 380 ACP performance in the future.  We're already seeing interesting designs like the Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LczfeWK9lHw

So I just thought I'd put that out there - these 380 ACP Lehigh Xtreme Penetrators are not going to be stopped short by heavy winter clothing.

Online tracker

• Grand Master

Thanks for the link to Lehigh; very interesting.

Online cargaritaville

• Grand Master
Great reviews on this ammo. I can't find anything on this ammo and the Seecamp .380,  nor any place to buy it.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
It is going to be tough to find someone who reviews ammo out of an even shorter barrel, but my opinion is that most 380 hollow points aren't going to do that well out of a LWS .380.  There is only a very small number of JHP cartridges that do "OK" out of the 3" barrel.  JHPs rely on hitting a certain velocity to expand.  If the parachute doesn't open, (so to speak) it turns into a very different kind of bullet.  The Lehigh Xtreme Penetrators aren't dependent on a velocity threshold.   They're going to create turbulence as they progress through flesh and a slight decrease in velocity is probably going to result in slightly less penetration and a slightly smaller wound channel, but it is not going to completely change the behavior of the bullet - which is what happens to 380 JHPs that don't expand.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Very interesting.

I'm currently carrying the buffalo bore +P in my Kahr 380 (which I most likely wouldn't have purchased if my R9 was usable) and have figured it was as good as I can do in .380; however the gelatin test is making me think that the Lehigh may very well be a decent round.

Thanks Count. I think you may be on to something with your theory.

John Stuart Mill

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
I'm not sure how the Buffalo Bore does, but the Precision One loading of the Hornady XTP does pretty well through 4 layers of denim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOwCXXpEP50

It is kind of weird - the Ranger T, Golden Sabers, PDX1 and Gold Dots don't do that well in 380, or at least not out of a 3" barrel - which is why I've expressed my opinion that 380 ACP was little more than an after thought for the major ammo manufacturer.  I don't think they took the time to try to make a great bullet.   I think they slapped their name brand on the 380 and thought that 380 ACP ballistics were bad, it was just a bad caliber compared to 9mm and 40 S&W, and that was it.

The Hornady XTP is kind of strange in that it does well in 380 ACP, but it does really lousy in 9mm :)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #399 on: September 04, 2014, 08:06:42 PM »
Josh

Just wanted to touch base with you to let you know I haven’t forgotten you and your need for repair.  Hoping to have some final answers in the next day or two about where to send it for repair work.  I’ll be in touch ASAP

Sincerely,

Daniel Cox

Looks like the voice mail actually  found  someone at home.

Maybe a few more days.

...crickets. I guess his concept of a few days is different than mine.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #400 on: September 09, 2014, 09:15:36 PM »
Josh

Just wanted to touch base with you to let you know I haven’t forgotten you and your need for repair.  Hoping to have some final answers in the next day or two about where to send it for repair work.  I’ll be in touch ASAP

Sincerely,

Daniel Cox

Looks like the voice mail actually  found  someone at home.

Maybe a few more days.

...crickets. I guess his concept of a few days is different than mine.

Well I replied to this email a couple of days ago to see if I could conjure a reply, but to no avail.

Tic toc. Tic toc. Tic toc.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Left 2 VM's and another email requesting info for Dan Cox to no avail.

I called and spoke to Remington's repair facility manager today and he gave me some hope that he would actually be talking to management over Dan Cox's head and try to get to the bottom of the issue.

He actually sounded like he wanted to have the gun in his hands and repair it if he can get the authorization from his superior.

I obviously was careful to not through Dan under the bus, but needless to say I am a bit let down… Again… And again…

John Stuart Mill

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
Hopefully they figure something out for you soon. Too bad there was not something written into the contract when the company was sold about a warranty repair center setup  time line, just to hold the new owners accountable to current owners.

Online tracker

• Grand Master

I had the impression that this alleged sale was not one that followed the usual negotiations where some compromises and concessions were given by both buyer and seller.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master

I had the impression that this alleged sale was not one that followed the usual negotiations where some compromises and concessions were given by both buyer and seller.

Where would you come up with such a startling idea tracker?   ;)