Author Topic: ***R9S Cogan***What's a guy to do?  (Read 9202 times)

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
***R9S Cogan***What's a guy to do?
« on: August 13, 2014, 08:33:05 PM »
About a year ago I purchased an unfired new R9S Cogan. I think that it is a work of art. I look at it every day and admire it. The thrill of owning it went far beyond the chase for me and continues every day. So what is my dilemma? I won't carry it for fear that I will damage it…so it sits in the gun vault. I used to carry a R9S Stealth and loved it. I sold it when I bought the Cogan. Big mistake. I miss my Stealth. Do I buy another Stealth and let the Cogan be a safe queen? What a waste for a beautiful gun. Any suggestions?
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: ***R9S Cogan***What's a guy to do?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 09:03:00 PM »

Buy another Stealth and continue to fondle the Cogan. I am a happy camper with one safe queen and one utility carry model that is very reliable, and I don't care if it gets scratched anymore after the factory put it in a vise and marred the finish.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 09:10:39 PM »
Are you saying that the factory damaged it, sent it back to you, and now won't step up to the plate and fix it?
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 09:26:22 PM »

Yes, but they denied it and now that years have passed I have gotten over it. Karl told me that all guns have scratches on them after awhile. It is no big deal now.

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 10:23:59 PM »
Wabi-sabi....

Wabi-sabi (侘寂?) represents a comprehensive Japanese world view or aesthetic centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. You can read more on Wikipedia.

Once you embrace this your little problem will be solved. I used to have your current mindset- buy two of everything so that one stays perfect and the other is for use so it is okay if it gets dinged up. Well that gets expensive, WH knives, Swiss watches, R9s etc. Now I just buy one nice thing and have learned to appreciate those imperfections because they were a result of my wearing or using it everyday and represent the experiences I have had with that item.

Say you father had two watchs one he wore everyday for his entire life complete with dings and scratches and one he kept in a safe. He has passed on and you can only pick one to remember him by - I can tell you which one I would want.

Hope this helps

Ryan
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 10:50:39 PM »
That doesn't make much sense given his question. He is asking whether he should buy another R9 or not. I had no plan after buying my first Farmingdale but I decided to buy another one and it evolved from there. There was no contradiction of having the beast and the beauty: it just happened that way.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 06:57:11 AM »

Yes, but they denied it and now that years have passed I have gotten over it. Karl told me that all guns have scratches on them after awhile. It is no big deal now.

Sounds like Karl and Eric went to the same Customer Service Class.

When I asked for the barrel to be replace in my first R9 because it had "corrugated rifling", Eric told me all their barrels look like that and that is all the better that they could do. 

Also, he said "If the gun functions, why would you care that the bore is rough?"

By the way, the gun did not function either.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 07:20:46 PM »

After your OP on the corrugated barrel subject I looked at mine very closely and didn't see any resemblance to the rough barrel. I recall that there were some faulty/worn out reamers that caused the rough barrel problem. I was more fortunate with the superficial frame scratches because I can send it to Robar if it really bothers me. My total experience with Rohrbaugh, Eric, Karl, and their very unique R9 was very positive on balance. I treasure both of my pups.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 08:50:14 PM »
tracker, you are a more tolerant man than I.  The line "All guns get scratched sooner or later" would have pissed me off more than them telling me they were not capable of producing a barrel of even minimum quality for a pistol I had just paid over $1100.00 for.

I have through the years sent 3 or 4 guns back to Smith and 1 back to Ruger.  Their customer service people were willing to do what ever it took to make me happy with my purchase.

It may just be a moot point as it is beginning to look like Rohrbaugh is gone for good.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 09:21:44 PM »

Sometimes, it is just not worth the aggravation; after a cracked slide I was, on balance, happy to receive a much better functioning carry gun than I sent them. After all, isn't this gun more about self defense and functionality than looks? The R9 spawned an entire group of collectors who were more interested in the color and content of the grips, the S/N, the location of the factory, the color of the slide and frame, the rarity of the numbers produced, and any number of other non-sensical factors that had nothing to do with the concealed carry aspect. I will grant you that a corrugated barrel would have irked me to no end.

Many thanks to our Administrator, Duane, who has enabled this free flow of unbiased dialogue. I am especially grateful to our dear departed friend, Tom Watson, for his congeniality and wise counsel.   

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 08:50:51 AM »
Tracker, +1...well said!
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline guncats

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 12:03:57 AM »
I'd recommend keeping the R9 in the safe.

Who knows what kind of butch-up piece Remington will be mass-producing.(Just look at their R51 situation ). The Rohrbaugh R9's will become collectables.

Meanwhile, if you have to carry something small, a Glock 42 or Kahr 380 might fit the role. 

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 03:31:01 PM »

I have heard both sides of the "corrugated barrel" situation and will only say there there is a difference of opinion as to the quality of the barrel in question.  I never saw it, and wouldn't likely know a good barrel from a bad one beyond the obvious traits I am used to seeing. 

I say this not to provoke an argument about the barrel, or to call anyone out, but simply to say that customers and manufacturers don't always agree on what is defective or out of spec.  No one from Rohrbaugh is here to comment on their position, so I thought it only fair to point out that they believed the barrel was fully functional and within a normal range for their guns and for other guns of similar price and quality.  Clearly there was a disagreement on that point.  Is isn't my intention to re-open the debate.   ;)

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 05:31:08 PM »
Duane

Here is a link to the old thread.  You are the person reviving this so lets hear what your opinion is. 

I have had two of them.  It cuts velocity by 30 to 40 fps and are a nightmare to clean.  In fact I truly believe that you never get all the crud out.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=5258.msg63427#msg63427

There is no one I have talked to that says this is normal or acceptable.

Here is a picture of my current barrel.  What is your opinion?

Eric's opinion was that if the gun goes bang, it's not a problem.

All I know is that this pistol is impossible for me to sell without a new barrel.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 05:34:48 PM by MRC »

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 05:39:06 PM »
Resized picture