Author Topic: first takedown and reassembly - tips and lessons  (Read 4338 times)

Offline crffish

• Sharpshooter
first takedown and reassembly - tips and lessons
« on: December 02, 2009, 05:19:01 PM »
I learned some things along the way of my first difficult reassembly.  I didn't have a vice or an RJ takedown tool, but I was able to use what I had and make it work.  I used a rubber eraser for a mechanical pencil to hold the slide open, so that I could remove the barrel pin.  I used a 1/4" mini wrench to assist in inserting the recoil assembly into the slide.  I then had issues moving the slide all the way to the rear of the frame.  I couldn't igure out what to do for the longest time.  After much frustration,  I was able to move the slide by slightly depressing the barrel as I moved it back.  I wish I had a vice and an extra set of hands when inserting the barrel pin, but I didn't.  What worked for me was to place the barrel pin into the hole in the slide.  I then pulled the slide back with my right hand so the back edge of the second slide serration was at the edge of the frame.  While doing this I kept pressue on the pin till it was partially in the hole.  Last I pushed the pin in with an allen wrench.  Patience was key but now I know what to do.  

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: first takedown and reassembly - tips and lesso
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 07:07:51 PM »
Good to know you now know the drill.  When you do something very much, you will always find an easier way.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 07:08:42 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline crffish

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 07:56:30 PM »
Spoken like someone who has been there done that.  I just wish it was as easy to break down as my Sig.  Thank you for your advice and encouragement.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 12:20:26 PM »
crffish:

I've previously admitted that I used a third hand the first few times I reassembled my R9 (No. 132) after taking delivery of it back in 2004.  The hand was small and very well manicured and belonged to my wife.   ;D  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline crffish

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 02:43:04 PM »
Funny.  If I had a wife I would deffinitely use her help too. :)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 02:50:51 PM »
You need to get one.   :)     :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 03:01:49 PM »
You need to get one.   :)     :)

Just be sure she's the right one for you. Before I finally found mine, I had to learn the hard way the truth of that old maxim, "Marry in haste, repent at leisure."   ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 10:34:27 PM »

Just be sure she's the right one for you. Before I finally found mine, I had to learn the hard way the truth of that old maxim, "Marry in haste, repent at leisure."   ;)

Heed those words, for sure!