Author Topic: Range Report  (Read 4182 times)

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
Range Report
« on: April 14, 2005, 01:27:03 PM »
Shot the R9s today and was really rushed for time so only shot 12 times at a friends house in the yard rested at 22ft. First 6,4 were in the kill zone 1 FTF.( I need to clean and lube)2nd 6 with stronger hold all in zone within 41/2". I know I can tighten these groups up but as they are I am really impressed with the accuracy. I know at 22ft in a gun fight I should be running the other way but I like to test a gun at its outter limits. The recoil is very stout and I found the slick grips hard for a positive hold. Anyone ever put a Houge Handall Jr. on a R9s, not for carry just practice? I think if Rohrbaugh stippled the front and back strap it would be a big plus on the hold. Ammo fired was Speer GDHP 124gr. Is the 115gr much less recoil? This gun is a keeper and well worth the price.
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Range Report
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 12:48:33 AM »
Newt - seems great - nice!  True - the pup is not the most comfortable but - get the grip/hold right and it is well manageable.

I have considered Jr handalls but as yet not done it.  I agree, stipling/chequering front and back straps might help - but a small strip of skateboard tape front and rear could do well.  Again not tried it.

Recently in a thread I posted pics of how I gain my grip - nothing special at all but if you want I'll post 'em again.

The 115's vs 124's ... to be honest i doubt you'll tell any difference at all with recoil.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Newt

• Master
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 08:56:24 AM »
Thanks Chris, Yes I would like to see your hold please if you get a chance to post it. I was playing with holds last nite, does anyone put left index on front of trigger guard? It is too windy to shoot today but I am going to shoot this gun again soon and I will try to improve hold. I broke it down and cleaned it & super lubed rails.
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 12:26:49 PM »
Here they are - really nothing remotely special - simply what works for me - and probably many others.  I mean, only a few combinations of hold really!

Re weak hand finger on trigger guard?  NO.  I am firmly of the opinion that this type of grip will almost for sure introduce a lateral disturbance to your aim - you will push or pull shots to side.  At very least, I think it will introduce inconsistencies.

Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Newt

• Master
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 12:44:01 PM »
Thanks Chris, that is the same hold I was using. Some schools of thought about the weak hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard sugest that buy doing this the shooter counters the natural pull to the rite caused by the DAO pull of the trigger. The proper balance between the two is probably a practiced art.

Offline Newt

• Master
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 09:15:24 AM »
Just a heads up here, I put a Houge Handall Jr. on my R9s, had to trim it down, and it really helps positive hold and control. I trimmed it from the bottom up until the finger separation was in the middle of the grip so as to leave enough room under the trigger guard for middle, fattest finger. Won't win any beauty contest though.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 07:05:53 PM »
I have been looking when in gun shops to see if they have a Handall Jr - no luck yet.  I very much want to add this to my carry R9... and like you have done Newt - fully expect to wield the knife to make it ''just so''.

I do tho anticipate that removal from pocket might be a tad less easy.  Is it at all ''sticky'' in this respect?
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Newt

• Master
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 11:14:16 AM »
Chris, I don't have my Hedley holster yet, I was one of the last to get my order in before RJ stopped taking them, so I have not been able to test this yet. I really think that the R-brothers should look at stippling front and back grip strap. I have even considered sending mine out to have this done but hesitate because it is a Farmingdale with R9s on the slide. I will have to buy another one to do this with.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 01:47:06 PM »
Stippling does have an appeal doesn't it ... but like you I'd be loathe to alter an early model.  of course, just occurred to me to perhaps try a small strip of skateboard grip tape front and rear on grip - that works well on my BHP - and of course could at least be removed.

The Handall tho does also ''fatten'' the grip a little - I may yet try that.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 03:29:06 PM »
The Handall tho does also ''fatten'' the grip a little - I may yet try that.[/quote]

Hi Folks,
I have had a Handall, Jr. on my R9S for quite some time now.
I only have it on when I'm at the range, although it's a pain
it the butt to put it back on and take it off again. I am now
just leaving it on permanently and "suffering" through the
slightly fatter grip. I too had to trim my grip, so to speak;^)

One thing I did learn was that the recoil problems I have are
due to a fatty growth in the 'V' of my thumb and my index finger.
I think it's called a 'lipoma'. Anyway the doc said that could very
well be why I'm complaining louder than most of you here.
He said he could remove it (the lipoma, not the R9S;^) if it
continues to bother me.

So, I doth protesteth too loudly! (Why DO I have a lisp when
I type;^)

Calvin
"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 03:44:48 PM »
Lipoma - fatty cyst - darned nuisance but benign.  Removeable - if it's worth the hassle.!

Calvin - I do not envy you getting Handall off and on - geez, I felt like I'd fought a world class wresting match when I fitted those to both my P series - what a tussle! ;D

Oh - thith protethteth deal - all thenters round the R9eth yeah?  Jutht get that thyst exthithed - thingth will be a lot better!  Leth pain! :P :D

(Does a gun ''coil'' on the first shot?  Then REcoil thereafter?) :o
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 03:45:37 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Wayne

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2005, 05:07:16 PM »
I have even considered sending mine out to have this done but hesitate because it is a Farmingdale with R9s on the slide. I will have to buy another one to do this with.
Newt,  yours arrived in April with the "S" on the slide?  Wow, someone is living right!  I didn't think they were allowed to ship slides with the  "S" on it any longer.

Just out of curiosity, is your serial number on the frame preceded with an "R", or is it purely a set of numbers?  Just trying to figure out how the factory is assembling - older slides and new frames?  Also, what color are the grips?

Offline Newt

• Master
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2005, 05:27:54 PM »
Wayne, I bought my R9s used in late Nov. 04 S#246 Rorbaugh R9s on one side of slide & Farmingdale, N.Y. on other side. The guy I bought it from posted it for sale on this forum. It took me from 11/04 till now to get the state of Md. to approve it for sale. :P It sat in my FFL's safe all this time. So thats how I ended up with an early gun. Think I will buy another to carry and preserve this one. I am very impressed with all aspects of this gun ,I believe it to be the ultimate concealed carry piece. Mine has the blue grips also. ;)

Offline Wayne

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 11:01:17 PM »
Now, I remember the posts on the Maryland approval process.  We all kind of held our breath with you.  Now that you can get them in Maryland, I think I would put that one in the safe and pick up another one "for the road" .

Although I'm glad I didn't have to wait through the process like you did (Maryland really tested your resolve), I have to admit I'm very jealous of your Rohrbaugh.  I'm sure you'll enjoy it, plus it's one you can pass down to the next generation.  It's good to hear that a good person overcame the system and got a treasure to boot! :D

Enjoy!