Author Topic: Ze Womens R9 Owners...?  (Read 8643 times)

Offline PCA

• Expert
Re: Ze Womens R9 Owners...?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2005, 07:47:10 AM »
TW:

When you say "recessed hammer" do you mean "bobbed hammer"?

If so, the answer is yes; it's a DAO.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2005, 01:05:26 PM »
My speed six,.357 or SP101 has a Ruger spurless hammer. It is checkered at the top,so one can pull the trigger a little and then pull back on the hammer to cock it single action. The action is also polished. It is my car gun.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline PCA

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2005, 01:26:17 PM »
My car gun is a copy of the latest gun magazine. It's the only legal carry in my state.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2005, 01:41:54 PM »
If W really wants freedom to ring around the world, he should do something about a national 50 state and DC carry permit!!!Why are private citizens with CCW any different than retired cops???   Tom

Offline PCA

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2005, 02:21:36 PM »
Tom,

You the man!

Article IV, Section 1, Constitution of the United States addresses this matter as follows: Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records and judicial Proceedings of every other State.

The Civil War was predictable, based upon matters not resolved in the ratifying congress of Sept 1787. The Full Faith and Credit portion of the constitution was despised by the South who strongly advocated State's Rights.

In NJ, State's Rights means what the state has a right to withold from its citizens; to include carrying a gun. As much as I would enjoy Full Faith and Credit for CCW, I'm not holding my breath for NJ.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2005, 02:35:20 PM »
Phil - sorry re ''toys'' ... yeah, they are to me parallel to what I imagine your knives to be!!!  A Smith M19-3 is soon to be added too! ::) ... oops.

TW ... as I think has now been mentioned yeah - an SP with spurless hammer is available.  I am an old traditionalist and so like the spuured hammer - does not cause me any snag probs.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2005, 02:43:10 PM »
Full faith and credit doesn't apply here.  A license issued by a state is an exception to the laws within that state.

However, Congress could do a great deal to restore our Second Amendment under Article I, Section 8, Clause 16 (providing for the militia).  They could simply find that having an armed population is beneficial for the security of the country and its citizens, and on that basis pass laws nullifying any state law that exceeds certain boundaries.  Congress could, by the authority granted by this clause, supercede all state laws infringing on the Second Amendment.

Maybe the simplest way is for Congress to pass a law requiring any state (or political subdivision thereof - cities, etc.) to recognize any license issued by another state provided that the application process for the license meets certain requirements (criminal background check, proof of some minimal level of training).  Yeah, I know, residents of states like PA that don't require training wouldn't benefit from their home state licenses and would have to get nonresident licenses in other states, but that is really the most likely way to get the statute passed.  Worded this way, a NJ resident wanting to carry in NJ could do so by getting a FL or VA license.

For those of us who live in states with relatively friendly laws, it might be a mixed blessing to have these issues decided on the federal rather than the state level, especially if we end up with the Demagogic Party controlling both houses of Congress and the White House.  However, given the current trend towards more relaxed gun laws just about everywhere other than the People's Republic of Kalifornia, such a statutes just might be the best way to bring the sure holdouts like DC, CA, NJ, MA, MD, IL, NY, etc. into line with the rest of the country.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 02:52:29 PM by BillinPittsburgh »
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline PCA

• Expert
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2005, 02:43:56 PM »
Chris,

Custom knives was a diversion, as a told you, in response to the insufferable NJ gun laws. There is a big crossover from gun world to custom knife world, as told by the response I would get to a flight jacket I wore to knife shows on which I had certified pistol instructor patch and other gun regalia.

The R9s will be the first handgun I have purchased in four years! I used to buy a dozen handguns a year or more, got tired of gun laws, and crossed over to knives. I have a good knife collection but I'm trying to go back to my first love with the R9.

Offline PCA

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2005, 02:54:17 PM »
Billinpittsburgh:

Thank you for your response. I stand by the merit of my argument but yield to you if, in fact, Full Faith and credit does not pertain, for the reasons you gave. Surely you will concede the Federalist vs. Whig debate that echos to this day.

You are also correct to warn the progressive gun law states to watch out for a national policy. Government does not add value; it adds cost and misery.

I'd rather move out of NJ than to a favorable gun law state only to have rights overturned or watered down. I do not want to leave the hot place only to land in purgatory instead of gun heaven.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2005, 02:54:19 PM »
Oh TW - forgot to answer one question you put, sorry.  re what I carry in the SP ...... well, altho I can use .357's I have opted for the Corbon +P offerings ... 110 grainers.  They don't shoot quite as accurately as std 158's for instance but at closer ranges I am not too bothered, plus - they are sufficiently docile as to allow a quicker and easier follow-up.  357's in a snub are just a bit too much recoil and flash, tho manageable.

Actually, when this time of year, clothing permits it - I am quite comfortable carrying something much, much bigger.  Like 629-6 Mountain Gun, 4" ... or M28-2 4" ... both have CT grips and I can stoke those with full house stuff.

Then of course we have the capacity aspect ... and much as I like revo's (love em in fact) ... I am just now breaking in my Dillon rig for the newish SIG 226 ... now that is ''only'' 9mm of course but will digest +P happily.  This with a 17 round mag does have it's appeal - just for sheer capacity! :D

Guess I need to carry three or so guns - just to have the choice in all departments!! ::) :P
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2005, 03:48:20 PM »
PCA    As I see it you have 2 choices: 1. Move yourself and your father to greener pastures 2. become a politician in your left wing state, then do what you want to.!!!    Tom

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Ze Womens R9 Owners...?
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2005, 01:00:20 AM »
>>PCA...

I stand corrected...  The hammer on my Smith Snub is like the one on Tom's Ruger - a "spurless" hammer, checkered on top with allows for DA/SA.

Chris...thanks for the ammo info.  Like yourself - I'm not keen to carry .357, but rather +P .38...which is very manageable in my Smith and super accurate out to 25 yards with CT grips...TW<<

Offline PCA

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2005, 06:46:05 AM »
TW:

Not sure I understand. Chris' SP101 has a hammer. I was addressing the bobbed hammer, in which the hammer has no spur.
Thought that was a DAO but I am wrong. The little Ruger was a great gun and I'm sorry I sold it. I used to do what Chris does which is +P .38 instead of .357.
Love little 5 shot snubbies. I've owned 4 of them but sold them, along with a lot of other guns, to get into custom knife world, as related above in this string.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2005, 10:38:13 AM »
Hi PCA,

The purpose of "full faith and credit" is basically so that when plaintiff sues defendant in NJ, and defendant moves to PA after plaintiff obtains a judgment, PA honors the NJ court decision between plaintiff and defendant, and allows plaintiff to begin proceedings to execute on the judgment, instead of requiring plaintiff to relitigate the suit in PA.  Or, husband and wife are married in NJ, and move to PA, PA recognizes the marriage without requiring a new ceremony.

The purpose is not so that if PA decides you can drive 65 mph in PA, then a PA resident with a PA driver's license can drive 65 mph in NJ even though NJ has 55 mph speed limits (been awhile since my last trip to NJ).  Rather, the PA resident can drive in NJ subject to NJ laws because NJ law recognizes the PA license.

I totally agree with you re:  the crossovers between guns and knives.  A knife is often your best option when a gun is inappropriate.  I am a fan of Cold Steel, Benchmade (primarily axis locks), Mickey Yurco, Bud Nealy, and the Jones Brothers.  Emerson's LaGriffe is also a favorite, and his wave feature is NICE, although I don't trust his liner locks.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline PCA

• Expert
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2005, 11:22:26 AM »
BillinPittsburgh:

You must be an attorney. In criminal matters, states have reciprocity, notwithstanding extradition issues.

I believed full faith and credit vs. state's rights was germane to discussion of gun laws. That's why I negotiate corporate contracts instead of spending time in court. Thank you for your clarification.

Emerson has $millions of dollars of equipment and 29 employees. $2000.00 for a semi-production knife? No way.

I am collector but not tactical. Have some semi custom Microtechs but that's about it. My best knives are made by Don hanson III, autos by Warren Osborne, Joe kious, et.al.

Please take discussion private if you wish further dialog.