Author Topic: Ze Womens R9 Owners...?  (Read 8594 times)

Offline Wayne

• Expert
Re: Ze Womens R9 Owners...?
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2005, 08:16:32 PM »
Just a little back on track. . . .  :)

My father and his wife came into town and loved my R9.  She is in the market for a small carry handgun and really loved the quality (especially the trigger pull).  Price isn't a concern.

The issue she has is that she lacks the hand strength to chamber a round, so she will probably end up with a small revolver for carry.  This may be a big turn off for some of the "older" women shooters, -she shoots regularly (and very well), but the recoil spring is just too much resistance for her.  I hope the Rohrbaugh brothers think of this when they come out with a .380 version.

Dad may be getting his own R9 soon, though.  ;)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2005, 08:33:58 PM »
Wayne - you touch on a very valid point.  One reason my wife carries a snub revo is - exactly for this reason.  She has shot many of my semis but - when it comes to dealing with the mechanics and strong springs - just too much of a problem.

I think even my P3AT would or could defeat her - and she ain't that feeble either.  Just seems to be one of them things for many ladies.  I would doubt a .380 (R380?) would be a lot easier than R9 - the smallness of slide does not help that either.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2005, 08:41:45 PM »
I have a couple of lady customers who like the R9 and shoot it well after some work on the grip. It sure is time for any of the ladies to speak up and tell us what they like and don't like.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2005, 09:14:41 PM »
My wife doesn't do discussion boards so she's not going to post here but I can't get her to move above a .380ACP. She's adopted my Browning BDA380 (below top) as her home defense gun ...

... and my NAA Guardian in .32ACP (above bottom) as her CCW and she even keeps my S&W 332 (below top next to the NAA Guardian below bottom) in .32mag ...

... as a car gun but I can't get her to move up to the .38special & 9mm range because she VERY recoil sensative.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Ze Womens R9 Owners...?
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2005, 05:18:12 AM »
>>Hi Fudster...

Your wife certainly seems to know what she likes - gotta give her credit for that.  As a good shooter with light recoil in .380...one of the favorites in my collection is a Sig Sauer P323 SL with rubber grips and night sights...!  Only given my big fat hands the slide tends to chew up the web of my hand.  Still, I like the gun so much that I shoot it anyway...usually with a shooting glove.  Your wife has smaller hands than me - so I suspect she would love this gun...!  Of course, when the Rohrbaugh .380 hits the streets there will be no matching it's presence>>TW<<

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2005, 09:26:06 PM »
If your wife has found something that works for her, then go with it.

That said, I was really suprised that she doesn't like 9mm but likes the NAA .32.  I actually find the recoil of the NAA .32 to be worse than the recoil of the NAA .380, which is itself about as comfortable as shooting my Taurus 3" .44 magnum.  There just isnt enough to hold onto to keep it from twisting back into the web of my hand.  It never fails to amaze me how individualized recoil perception can be.

My Kel-Tec P-32 is a very soft shooter.  My own recoil-shy wife can shoot quite well with a 4" Springfield XD 9mm.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2005, 09:33:00 PM »
... I was really suprised that she doesn't like 9mm but likes the NAA .32.  I actually find the recoil of the NAA .32 to be worse than the recoil of the NAA .380, which is itself about as comfortable as shooting my Taurus 3" .44 magnum ...
Exactly! I think her recoil issues are more a psychological barrier than a physical barrier.