Author Topic: Zig Zag Marks on Grips  (Read 1385 times)

Offline jca345

Zig Zag Marks on Grips
« on: May 25, 2007, 02:14:26 PM »
Hey all--first post! I was at the range recently and met up with another fellow who just bought an R9. Sweet pistol in every respect. I usually carry an LWS 32 myself. He explained that the zigzag pattern engraved on the grips is meant to represent the Roman Legion "Sawtooth" battle formation they used when deploying their Gladius and Shield. If so, I thought that was pretty cool indeed.

Ragardless, I am looking into an R9 next year.  :)
Jason C. Arthur
www.jcacircuits.com
jason@jcacircuits.com

"The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything." -- Edward John Phelps

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
Re: Zig Zag Marks on Grips
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 03:18:19 PM »
Ummm, never heard that but if he's happy I'm tickled to death!! ::)
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 06:42:30 PM »
Hey all--first post! I was at the range recently and met up with another fellow who just bought an R9. Sweet pistol in every respect. I usually carry an LWS 32 myself. He explained that the zigzag pattern engraved on the grips is meant to represent the Roman Legion "Sawtooth" battle formation they used when deploying their Gladius and Shield. If so, I thought that was pretty cool indeed.

Ragardless, I am looking into an R9 next year.  :)

Eric Rohrbaugh told me it's the family crest. But now that you got me looking at it, I noticed the images are reversed on either side, that is, they point in opposite directions. I wonder why?

Welcome to the forum...

Calvin Cooledge
"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 08:17:31 PM »
JCA:

Allow me also to welcome you to the Forum. The R9 is indeed one fine pistol.

As for the image on the grips, I also am informed that it is the Rohrbaugh family crest.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"