Author Topic: Broken trigger  (Read 2629 times)

Offline kantor99

Broken trigger
« on: January 02, 2010, 08:26:01 PM »
Hi. I just purchased a used Rohrbaugh and joined the Forum. I went to the range today and the pistol fired great for a couple of clips. Then, the trigger would not return and if it did, it would not do anything when pulled. The range master suggested a broken trigger spring. Is this common and is this something I have to return the gun to Rohrbaugh for?
thanks

ccoorreeyy

Re: Broken trigger
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 09:54:30 PM »
Sounds like a loose grip panel to me. The grips (one of them anyway) are a part of the trigger system.  If/when the grip loosenes the spring can pop out of space and not work.  When you put the spring back in place use blue loctite on the grip screws and you should not have that problem again.  That is if thats the problem.  I bet it is.  Welcome to the forum.  You will end up loving the R9.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 10:05:11 PM »
kantor99.  Welcome to the Forum.  I agree with Corey.  Sounds exactly like the right grip panel may be loose.  Take Corey's advice and check that first.  I'm betting that's what it is as well.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 10:22:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum, and I will also go with what Corey suggested. If the grip panel is not loose the spring may not have been properly installed and popped off.
John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline jetboater

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 10:35:12 PM »
if you didn't get the manuals with the gun, here's the link to download the disassemble and lube instructions and the owner's manual

http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/downloads/downloads_set.html

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 10:37:58 PM by jetboater »

Offline kantor99

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 12:43:24 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll check the grips. Do you tighten them with an allen wrench or is there something specific.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 11:41:01 AM »
A 1/16" quality ball driver hex wrench will do the job.  Do make sure it's quality.  You can get one from Brownell's.

http://www.brownells.com/

Or a hobby shop, if you have one close by.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 12:02:17 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline jetboater

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 12:25:59 PM »
you'll also want to get some Loctite Threadlocker 222--it's designed for very small screws and what the factory uses on the grip screws.
It's the "purple' one.   I couldn't find any locally and had to order it online--it ran about $12 shipped for a small bottle but it's a lifetime supply if you only use it for the R9 when you remove and reinstall the grips--just need one drop for each of the 4 screws.

here's a link for it on Amazon if you can't find it locally--it's $12.85 shipped  (it's $18 at Brownells and $17 at MidwayUSA--both plus shipping)

http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Threadlocker-Strength-Purple-38653/dp/B0002KKTT0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1262539573&sr=8-2
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 01:35:01 PM by jetboater »

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 12:31:55 PM »
wow, what a first outting! ditto the grip panel, look at it as a good learning experience and you'll end up loving the pup. welcome and post often.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus