Author Topic: Looking for a full size .45  (Read 36841 times)

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
Looking for a full size .45
« on: November 24, 2009, 10:37:43 AM »
 I am in the market for a full sized .45 . Primary use would be the Range. I am only interested in higher end pistols as I do not like buying the same thing twice. Looking at Kimber though as good value for what you get. Wilson seems a little steep. Do you guys have any other suggestions?

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Looking for a full size .45
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 12:51:37 PM »
Chief:

If you want a high-end 1911 and don't mind a wait, you might consider doing what I did -- take a "Plain Jane" Colt, send it to Clark Custom Guns, and ask for the works. After waiting a few months and writing a rather large check, you will receive something like this:

Good luck with your hunt!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 03:06:29 PM »
Nice looking piece. How is it for accuracy?
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 05:50:45 PM »
After a dose of Jim Clark's magic, it's now a real "tack driver."  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 02:41:28 PM »
I am in the market for a full sized .45 . Primary use would be the Range. I am only interested in higher end pistols as I do not like buying the same thing twice. Looking at Kimber though as good value for what you get. Wilson seems a little steep. Do you guys have any other suggestions?

Chief

Chief.  I like Ed Brown Customs, although, I'm partial, of course.

http://edbrown.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F3aH-m-znE

« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 01:37:54 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 02:57:42 PM »
If money is no object then try Pistol Dynamics...they make some amazing stuff. (Paul Liebenburg is the owner) I am going to be talking to him this week on getting on his build list. Speaking of this week...anyone here going to be at the SWAT Roundup in Orlando?
DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 03:54:55 PM »
Excellent looking guns, for sure.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 05:00:25 PM »
Yeah, I have been to his shop and the attention to detail is uncanny. All slides and frames are "hand lapped" on the custom stuff and like the R9 finishes, there is no flaws to be found. Shooting wise they are just as good as any other high custom end rigs I've seen if not better.

Amazing work
DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 04:44:26 PM »
 I am trying to stay under $1500 or so if possible. Money is definately an object in my worlde  ;)
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 06:41:58 PM »
Hank Fleming in Austin, TX should be able to build a nice gun for about that price -- he does wonderful work -- far superior to Wilsons and Nighthawk, IMO.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 07:43:09 AM »
 I will check him out thanks for the tip.

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 08:25:15 AM »
At the $1500 mark you will need to be very selective about the options you select. Bells and whistles on a 1911 can go several thousand dollars, as you have noted. I'd focus on those aspects that most effect  accuracy and avoid the others.

Using a very competent pistolsmith who isn't well known will help keep your labor costs down. Make sure the smith can build an accurate gun and not just a pretty one. Sometimes accuracy enhancements can reduce the field reliability of a 1911. Make sure you understand the issues and tradeoffs before authorizing any smith to go ahead.

Take some time to check out the sights people have at the the ranges you visit. There are tons of choices, especially if you go with fixed sights. Using a smith who also does a lot of the same type of shooting you want to do may help.

Find out what base gun the smith works on. A bad base gun may not take you to the level of accuracy you desire. Be sure you know the degree of accuracy possible with your base gun.

Good luck!!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 08:29:02 AM by rWt »
Welcome home

Offline ccw

• I believe in gun control.  All in the X ring.
Re: Looking for a full size .45H
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 01:22:31 AM »
Chief,
Check out the Sig P220 for a full size, very reliable .45.  Here is
additional information. Plus, it's comfortable to shoot, not fussy about ammo, and used, holds it's value.  Plus, there is no need to customize it.

I just guns america, and they also make a .22 conversion, so the same gun can shoot both calibers!!
P220 in .22
conversion kit alone
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 01:28:39 AM by ccw »

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 04:46:35 PM »
 One of the things I am looking for on the .45 is a rail for mounting a light, don't think the 220 has one.
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 12:18:50 PM »
Chief.  According to this, you can get the P220 with a tac rail.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/S-220R45-TAS-SA.html