Author Topic: Rossi Ranch Hand (Mare's Leg)  (Read 25645 times)

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Rossi Ranch Hand (Mare's Leg)
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2010, 05:04:21 PM »
This may be the reason there are not a lot of them available yet, they may be holding off full production until the lawsuit is decided.

Cathie Rowand | The Journal Gazette
Firearms maker James Buchanan holds his Mare’s Leg gun, for which he has a federal trademark, at his shop in Huntertown.

Local gun maker fires lawsuit at Brazilian giant

Rebecca S. Green | The Journal Gazette
FORT WAYNE – Local gun maker James “Diamond Jim” Buchanan is taking on an international firearms conglomerate in a federal lawsuit, accusing the large pistol manufacturer of trademark infringement.

Brazil-based Taurus International Manufacturing, which has U.S. offices headquartered in Miami, has long been affiliated with other well-known gun makers – having once been a sister company to Smith & Wesson and buying Beretta's Brazilian factory in the 1980s, according to the company’s website.

A message left for the company seeking comment was not returned Wednesday.

By contrast, Buchanan owns and operates J.B. Custom in Huntertown, a small company making and selling gear and custom firearms for “Cowboy-style” or single-action shooting – the kind depicted in old television and movie Westerns. They are guns he says appeal to “your grandpa,” who remembers watching such programs.

“I design custom pieces and this one had been something I had been working on for a while,” he said.

A few years ago, Buchanan designed a gun based on the one carried by Steve McQueen’s character Josh Randall on the late-1950s CBS series “Wanted: Dead or Alive.”

“I redesigned it a little bit for modern usage,” Buchanan said. “It’s just very unique, interesting.”

But the gun, known as a Mare’s Leg, is a lever-action gun that looks like a rifle but has a short barrel, for which he has permission from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Buchanan obtained a federal trademark and in his lawsuit claims “common-law” rights over the use of the Mare’s Leg mark, as well as lever-action firearms of a “particular shape, design, and overall appearance.”

“It seems like every time I do, someone bigger than me wants to take it away,” he said. “I got a little smarter with this one.”

According to court documents, in 2006 Buchanan originally contracted with Amadeo Rossi S.A., a Brazil-based firearms maker, to manufacture his gun for exclusive sale in his shop. He sold the gun for about $1,700.

In 2008, Taurus bought Rossi, a rifle and revolver company, and assumed Rossi’s obligation to exclusively deal with Buchanan for the sale of the Mare’s Leg, according to court documents.

Buchanan said he never heard from Taurus about its plans or what the company intended to do about the contract.

But in July, Rossi placed an ad in an edition of American Rifleman magazine, selling the Rossi Ranch Hand lever-action gun, at one-third the price Buchanan was selling the Mare’s Leg, according to court documents.

According to the Rossi Rifle website, which is linked to Taurus’ website, the similar-looking gun is offered for sale at $536.

In his lawsuit, Buchanan alleges breach of contract, trademark infringement, passing off his work as theirs, false advertising and unfair competition.

He is asking a federal judge to prohibit Taurus and its subsidiary Rossi from further infringing on his rights, as well as the award of monetary damages, profits and fees.

“It ruined me,” Buchanan said of Rossi’s price. “That’s why we’re in federal court. I didn’t want this to have to happen, but the people are destroying me.”

Buchanan said his attempts to contact Taurus and Rossi have been unsuccessful.

rgreen@jg.net
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2010, 06:06:14 PM »
That's what the dealer in town said; a lawsuit was pending, so I called Rossi and asked; they wouldn't admit that anything was brewing and I don't guess they could.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 08:33:53 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2010, 06:51:46 PM »
No surprise they won't comment. ;D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2010, 06:58:44 PM »
That's right.  They just acted like it was news to them.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2010, 09:02:01 AM »
Based on the exclusive arrangement he had with Rossi, it sounds like he has a pretty good argument based on his side of the story.  

If he is right, my prediction is the Rossi prices goes up and this guy gets a cut on every one sold.  Rossi will likely sell a ton of them.  And, if his version is that much better, the Rossi version may be a "gateway drug" to spur sales of the real thing.

If you want a Rossi, now may be the time to get it!
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2010, 09:19:27 AM »
I was thinking the same thing.  Seems like prices haven't gone up drasticly yet, except just a little on GunBroker; $100 over retail may not be too bad.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2010, 07:39:22 PM »
Based on the exclusive arrangement he had with Rossi, it sounds like he has a pretty good argument based on his side of the story.  

If he is right, my prediction is the Rossi prices goes up and this guy gets a cut on every one sold.  Rossi will likely sell a ton of them.  And, if his version is that much better, the Rossi version may be a "gateway drug" to spur sales of the real thing.

If you want a Rossi, now may be the time to get it!

Sounds like a good idea, they may be snapped up by buyers who will put a premium price on them.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2010, 08:00:25 PM »
Some of the ones on GunBroker are not that high; like the .45 was $459. starting bid and now is $466.  The 44. mag and .357 are $500 to $555 right now; so they're higher than the $416 - $430 retail at our gun shops here, if they had any.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2010, 08:29:02 PM »
One of the guys on another forum said his local shop quoted him $406 our the door, sounds pretty cheap.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2010, 08:31:31 PM »
Definitely.  $416 is the lowest price I've gotten so far, but they don't have any.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2010, 02:18:45 PM »
FOUND IT!  Shipping out today!  .44 mag.  Finally!    :)

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2010, 04:28:25 PM »
kj,
   Congrats on finding one, look forward to some pics. :D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2010, 04:59:36 PM »
I want to see video of the thing being shot "hollywood style" with some hot Magnum loads!

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2010, 05:47:16 PM »
Thanks, John; and Duane, this is about as close as I can get to a video; Steve Doran, shooting the JB Custom's Mare's Leg, similiar to the Rossi Ranch Hand.  Scroll down and click on arrow.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/09/02/jb-custom-mares-leg-pistol-video-review/
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 06:00:26 PM by kjtrains »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2010, 09:09:10 PM »
Here's the Rossi Ranch Hand.  Picked up today!