Author Topic: DOUBLETAP  (Read 81532 times)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: DOUBLETAP
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2011, 05:19:55 PM »

From the DOUBLETAP Website:

DOUBLETAP MSRP

Non-ported                Ported

Aluminum        $499                         $569

Titanium          $729                         $799

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2011, 06:21:26 PM »
Well,  I can take that one off the list.   :-/

They must have quite a bit of R&D to expense off on each unit.  $800 is pretty steep, but it is innovative and unique.  I think I'm still in and hope that the street price comes in a shade lower once these start shipping.
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2011, 06:24:59 PM »
Strange they twittered Happy Halloween this morning, but nothing about having the MSRPs up on the website.  I know there were several people asking about MSRP on their Facebook page.
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2011, 10:18:24 AM »

Also, the .45 ACP and .9mm barrels are interchangeable. I don't know if both barrels come with a single gun purchase or not.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2011, 01:02:31 PM »
Also, the .45 ACP and .9mm barrels are interchangeable. I don't know if both barrels come with a single gun purchase or not.

Email received from Ray Kohout saying barrels are purchased separately; didn't ask how much.  

I had better clarify that:  if you purchase the Double Tap in.45 ACP and want the 9mm barrel, too, it's extra; or vice versa.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 06:02:14 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2011, 10:46:32 AM »
The $799 is a hefty price but if you have ever purchased anything made from Titanium you would know why.
 The Bond derringers are in the $500 price range as are the American Derringers and are much bigger and heavier.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2011, 07:01:15 PM »
Has anybody here shot one of those little cherry bombs?

I own a couple of Bonds with multiple barrels.  

The 45 Colt with factory ammo or the 410 is not my idea of fun to shoot.  Howevey with mild reloads it can be.

I haven't shot my 45 acp yet.  I shoot 38s  all the time in cowboy matches.

I used to own 4 American Derringers, those barrels were not interchangable.  I had one in 44 mag.   I shot it once with each barrel then put it back in the furtherest darkest place of the safe as possibe.  I never wanted to see that gun again.  I was so happy when I found out a guy was looking for one.
I think his name was K..., KJ...... ;D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 07:13:13 PM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2011, 07:30:48 PM »
Any number of things could cock that hammer besides an intentional thumb move--I'll pass.

I really don't follow you there Tracker with my 40 + years of experience with Derringers.  
I was always fascinated with them as a kid and got my first German one in 22 when I was 14, I was shooting my Dad's when I was 7 or 8.  
I have and have had the cheap Italian ones and have a good Italian one, have some good German ones.  I got rid of all of my American Derringers because the Bonds are far superior in every aspect.  As I mentioned before I shoot them in competion and they have the mainspring lightened and still no accidental cocking.
The hammers take intentional force to cock.  Trust me, you can't accidently cock them.  They take more force than on a Smith or Colt.  Given that, why carry a  external hammered revolver?

When I was young and dumb I used to carry a German 38 loose in my pocket with no issues.  Now don't get me wrong, I am not advocating carrying a Derringer for CCW.  There are much better choices.  But if one just has to carry one, at least pick one with a trigger gaurd like the Bond or the Double Tap.  And the scales tip even further towards the Double Tap by being hammerless just as a "bump" factor or fumble factor.  And by being light.  The Bonds are heavy for a small gun.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 07:32:53 PM by Reinz »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2011, 07:44:19 PM »

I was referring to the pocket carry aspect and Murphy's Law, but I defer to your experience.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2011, 08:17:12 PM »
Gotcha  ;)

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2011, 12:18:59 AM »
New video and details.  Looks very cool.  Speed strip and everything.  

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2011/11/heizer-doubletap-video-tons-of-details.html

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2011, 01:29:34 AM »
Gotta love the thought of these guns making it to the market!!!

If it is thin enough,it would fit great in a front T shirt pocket!! ;)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2011, 04:38:22 AM »
I tried to watch the video, but the connection is painfully slow so I will have to check it out at a later time. :'(
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2011, 05:10:05 AM »
I love unique firearms.  Sure we all have guns that are far more practical than this, but I sure would like to get my hands on one when they make it to market.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2011, 09:37:04 AM »
I like that porting is an option.  I wouldn't want to have a ported 9mm barrel.  When I choose a SD load like Ranger T or HST, or Critical Defense or Golden Sabre or whatever...  I'm making some assumptions about how that round performs.  I'm usually basing those assumptions on bare or 4-Ply denim ordinance gelatin tests out of a 3" barrel - when I can find those test results.  Porting changes the muzzle velocity and changes those assumptions.  And it's not like we're talking just 1 or even 2 ports here - the initial model showed 5 ports!