Author Topic: DOUBLETAP  (Read 81390 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: DOUBLETAP
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2011, 09:46:14 AM »
A knife cuts because the very narrow cutting edge concentrates force onto a small area.  The very thin R9 has brisk recoil.  I would worry that the even narrower grip on this weapon would try to cut a swatch through the thumb web on the shooting hand, at least in the titanium version .45 ACP.  I'll be interested in range reports.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2011, 04:28:18 PM »
Just my thoughts only; I'm thinking a good shooting glove would prevent the cutting of the thumb web while shooting the Double Tap at the range, and if you carry it as a backup or by itself,  and have the need to use it, you're not going to notice what it does to your hand during those circumstances.

May not need the glove; just have to see.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2011, 04:45:12 PM »
I am not a fan of small 45's anyway, but you guys can have one that is less than .70 inch thick and weighs `14 oz..  With 2 shots it is a backup only in my opinion, and the R9 makes more sense as a back-up to me.

It would sure be a conversation piece at the range though.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2011, 10:47:31 PM »
Just my thoughts only; I'm thinking a good shooting glove would prevent the cutting of the thumb web while shooting the Double Tap at the range, and if you carry it as a backup or by itself,  and have the need to use it, you're not going to notice what it does to your hand during those circumstances.

May not need the glove; just have to see.

Agree that you may not notice the pain with two shots in an emergency situation.  Hard to use a padded glove with any small pistol, esp.  what is essentially a derringer.  I would have trouble carrying anything as a primary weapon that I was unwilling to shoot at the range.  
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2011, 11:16:41 PM »
This is one I would like to pop before dropping eight Franklins on it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 11:19:39 PM by tracker »

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2011, 09:43:46 AM »
Hopefully I'll have the chance to try one and let you guys know if it's naughty or nice.  I can't imagine it would be any worse than a .380 Seecamp or a Smith 340 with .357s in it.  

Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2011, 02:14:45 PM »
I think about this little gun all the time now.

I was thinking about while walking into the grovery store yesterday.

One of the things it does well, like revolvers or all Derriners is shoot everything it's loaded with - so you get two shots for sure without having to worry about a FTE or a jam.

I can see it in the role of a trail gun with snake loads in it.  But a revolver with 38spl snake loads would work just as well i suppose.

I read a lot about the micro-matics having afinity for one particular brand and bullet weight, and either not being able to fire +P or requiring heavier than 115gr ammo etc...

One thing about this little gun is you can put whatever you want in there from 100gr to 147gr... you don't need to cycle a slide.

So I do like that.

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2011, 06:52:29 PM »
Or 185 to 230 grain.   ;D

Blog updated to include a link to a video interview with Ray Kohout, who invented the DoubleTap.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2011/11/heizer-doubletap-video-tons-of-details.html  Looks great in his hands.  Super slim, but still big enough not to get lost in your pocket.

I can see toting one in a simple back pocket clip on leather sleeve.  Maybe something like this, but with the clip moved to the top of the case.  Not really needed, but it would add a touch of security.  http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Leatherware-Pull-Tab-Protective-iPhone/dp/B004DI7ET0/ref=pd_sbs_cps_16
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 06:56:32 PM by Ljutic »
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2011, 08:11:49 PM »

The ball bearing trigger design is innovative and very interesting.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2011, 10:30:27 PM »
Good to see Ray Kohout in person through the video and to see the actual Double Tap; thanks, Ljutic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwJ9xZ5tutg
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2011, 11:30:29 PM »
The video is better straight off of YouTube for some reason.

Could not get it to play from Mouseguns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A98X0ruMGGM&feature=related

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2011, 08:38:51 AM »
Thanks for the videos.  Looks very inovative as far as the mechanism goes, but a little short on grip surface.  Looking forward to Ljutic's review.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2011, 08:50:22 AM »
I'm looking forward to the review also. :D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #103 on: November 14, 2011, 08:58:04 PM »
The Aluminum is also way cheaper.

I wonder if the Aluminum will hold up in a Derringer configuration like that.

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #104 on: November 16, 2011, 09:33:55 AM »
Thanks for the videos.  Looks very inovative as far as the mechanism goes, but a little short on grip surface.  Looking forward to Ljutic's review.

Me too!  I hope they determine I make the cut for their evaluation/review release.  As of now, I have not heard back since sending in my info and transfer dealer details.  First quarter is just around the corner.

Read a recent twitter from Heizer that their first year sales goal is $10 million.  Estimating $650 per sale as some will probably ship with both calibers, that works out to about 15,000 units.  Their production facility must be impressive to crank out more than 1000 per month.

Isn't Boberg doing 80 per month?  I read some number, but 80 might not be right.