Author Topic: DOUBLETAP  (Read 80533 times)

Offline Robar233

• Master
Re: DOUBLETAP
« Reply #150 on: August 04, 2012, 09:04:37 PM »
  All,

What do you think aluminum or titanium frame? Which way would you go? The Ti is almost $200 more and it is 2 oz's heavier! Why spend more money for a gun that is a heavier pocket pistol.  As for ported vs. non-ported I am not concerned about muzzle flip that much to spend the extra $$$.

Robar233

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #151 on: August 04, 2012, 09:11:28 PM »

I have been giving that subject some thought and I think I would go with the Ti non-ported. The reason being is that I live in a very humid environment and also feel that the slight extra weight might help with the recoil. For two shots in self defense the ported version makes little sense with the burn injury possibility.

Offline billib

• Expert
« Reply #152 on: August 04, 2012, 10:06:23 PM »
Titanium is heavier than Aluminum but lighter than Steel.
Aluminum is stiffer than Titanium or Steel so Titanium
should handle recoil better than Aluminun and is stronger
than Steel but is only slightly heavier while being less
corrosive than Aluminum or Steel.

So the down side is that it is slightly heavier and more
expensive. The upside is its indestructible and handles
recoil better. I guess their still is no free lunch.
I would buy an R9s Titanium.

When I bought my Wheelchair I could have bought it in
Steel , Aluminum or Titanium. I picked Aluminun for its
lightness. If I had to do it over again I would pick Titanium
as my first choice and Steel as my second. Aluminum
would be last.

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #153 on: August 05, 2012, 11:31:32 AM »
I'm hoping to get the aluminum 45 and would also prefer to skip the porting.  Ti is cool and would be a first, but if I'm going for Ti it would have to be this pistol.

http://www.sviguns.com/1202.php

Maybe a 50th birthday gift for myself?   ;D
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #154 on: August 05, 2012, 06:48:39 PM »

The TIKI-T may have a nickname of 10K. I read they use 4 or 5 different Ti alloys in various parts of the gun. It looks indestructible, though.

Offline billib

• Expert
« Reply #155 on: August 06, 2012, 01:31:56 AM »
Those are the strangest sights I've ever seen.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #156 on: August 06, 2012, 06:45:42 PM »
I'm hoping to get the aluminum 45 and would also prefer to skip the porting.  Ti is cool and would be a first, but if I'm going for Ti it would have to be this pistol.

http://www.sviguns.com/1202.php

Maybe a 50th birthday gift for myself?   ;D

There is an Infinity for sale at a local Gun Shop/ Range $7400 give or take a couple hundred, can't remember the hundreds but the 7K I remember.  ;D It was a beautiful piece though.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #157 on: August 07, 2012, 12:02:53 AM »
Here are my thoughts.

I'm interested in the 9mm.

I have no interest in holding on to something that lobs 230 grains of lead at 900+ feet per second.

For 9mm, I think the short barrel already reduces the velocity of the bullet and i don't want to reduce it any more with porting to gain some slight advantage in controllign muzzle flip.  Of course, I haven't fired one yet..  I might change my mind if I were able to test fire someone's and see for myself that the porting did make a difference.

Are the barrels Titanium?  I'm not sure if those are Titanium barrels... if anyone knows the answer please chime in.

If I thought the Aluminum would hold up adequately, I'd get it in Aluminum.  There is a huge price difference between the Aluminum and Titanium.

Also thought about getting two - one in Titanium and one in Aluminum, practicing with the Titanium and only carrying the Aluminum - sort of like the Rohrbaugh - to be carried often and fired seldom or something like that...

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #158 on: August 07, 2012, 02:49:34 PM »
What model SVI was for sale for $7400?  Brandon's guns can get that high, but most of them run 4-5K...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #159 on: August 07, 2012, 03:38:38 PM »
The DoubleTap frames are either aluminum or titanium and the barrels are stainless steel on both models.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #160 on: August 08, 2012, 07:19:04 PM »
What model SVI was for sale for $7400?  Brandon's guns can get that high, but most of them run 4-5K...

I didn't really look that close, it was in a case just above eye level and across the room from the checkout counter and I didn't have enough interest to call one of the sales people over.  ;D I don't go there very ofter because it's almost two hours from me.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #161 on: August 10, 2012, 09:58:04 PM »
Well I was at the shop today that has the SVI, according to the tag on the gun it is a Tiki model and the price is $7900. :o
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #162 on: August 10, 2012, 10:29:31 PM »
That could be the next Farmingdale curio equivalent.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:31:38 PM by tracker »

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #163 on: August 17, 2012, 06:01:51 PM »
Well I was at the shop today that has the SVI, according to the tag on the gun it is a Tiki model and the price is $7900. :o

My 50th is coming up next year and I don't wear a watch.  I'm skipping the Rolex and going for the Tiki.  ;D
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #164 on: August 17, 2012, 06:03:15 PM »
I think we'll be seeing these in stores soon.  The DoubleTap made the cover of the September issue of Guns&Ammo.

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2012/08/heizer-doubletap-cover-story.html