Author Topic: R9 with conventional mag release button  (Read 6541 times)

Offline jetman

R9 with conventional mag release button
« on: August 03, 2008, 12:41:31 PM »
I do LOVE my R9 pup would about the only change I would like to see in future models or possible factory upgrade of current guns would be the addition of a more conventional mag release button, and slide lock. I can only imagine how slow a mag change would be FOR ME anyway if I needed to change out mags in a HURRY! A small slide release would be nice too if a modification could be made for the slide to lock back on an empty mag would be nice too if it could be done without making it much wider than it currently is. JMHO

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
Re: R9 with conventional mag release button
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 01:24:45 PM »
think about it for a minute, it does not fit the purpose of the pistol.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline fultoncoshooter

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 01:35:53 PM »
i like the bottom mag catch on my "bug" guns mainly because the grips are very small and my whole hand covers the grip area for that reason i rather have the mag catch i would be worried about hitting a mag release button with my hand at the wrong time

Offline jetman

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 01:54:53 PM »
think about it for a minute, it does not fit the purpose of the pistol.  Tom

Tom I think I know what you are saying, but if you think about it these are self defense weapons. I only HOPE if I ever have to use it in a self defense situation that 7 shots will be all I need to end the aggression.... BUT if not I would think a QUICK reload would be necessary under those conditions. As it is I'm just not that quick in changing out the mag with the current mag clip. I'm trying to practice getting better at it, but I've been shooting for MANY years and have muscle memories developed for a standard mag drop and quick reload, which is necessary in a self defense situation. I've carried a Beretta Tom Cat as well as a Kahr PM9 and PM40, and have never accidentally hit the mag release and dropped the mag firing either of these pistols.... and doubt it would be an issue on one of these R9's. JMHO

Offline Jack Foulard

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 04:58:58 PM »

I've carried a Beretta Tom Cat as well as a Kahr PM9 and PM40, and have never accidentally hit the mag release and dropped the mag firing either of these pistols.... and doubt it would be an issue on one of these R9's. JMHO

When firing these guns were you in a self defense situation?  I hope not.  When things go bad you don't know what could happen, and not having a traditional mag release for this gun is plus.

If its not for you, then I suggest a quick sale of the R9 and find something that suits your needs.  But then again you must have researched the gun prior to purchase so you thought about the pluses and minuses and decided the gun was good enough for purchase, right?

Welcome.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 05:50:09 PM »
jetman/Jeff, I know where you are coming from, as I am an old 1911 guy myself and love quick mag changes. However, this pistol is designed as a last ditch chance to save your butt or leave the area.  Tom
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 05:54:03 PM by theirishguard »

Offline jetman

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 06:07:13 PM »
As an old 1911 guy myself, that is exactly where I was coming from. I traded a Colt 3" New Agent for this gun. Like most gun changes it just takes a little getting used to. Obviously it wasn't a deal breaker since I made the trade anyway, and yes I did MUCH research before making the move to the R9. I'm glad I did and would do it again. Thanks guys for your insight.  

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 05:21:13 AM »
Mag changes are pretty easy with the R9. I would definitely not want a conventional U.S. style mag release. I like the heel release on this particular gun.

I remember reading a article a month ago where a cop got bashed in the head from behind. He ended up rolling over on his gun and it released the magazine. On top of that the gun has a magazine safety installed, so basically he was holding a brick. Luckily he had a backup gun and was able to end the situation and come out on top.

Offline eddie_c-clamp

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 09:51:04 PM »
I love this R9 and carry it on duty.......In that respect I would like to see a mag release on the side also 8)........a slide lock I could live without.......

(this of course is only a wish list post and not a knock on the design of the R9)..........Eddie
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 09:53:04 PM by eddie_c-clamp »

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 12:42:09 PM »
Eddie, rethink your thoughts in this regard if you will. It's a last ditch tool to get you out of area or save your life. The design is based on that not several fast reloads. Tom

Offline eddie_c-clamp

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 10:38:06 PM »
Tom- You're right about the gun being a last ditch effort to save your hide and I agree that the mag release is in a good spot where it is........

But as a "WISH LIST" item, I would not mind a 1911 style release to make the gun easier to reload if you were to have to.........in case you've got bad aim like me and missed with the first 7 rds and the BG is still shootin at ya :P

I believe this gun can be a more of an "offensive type shooter" while my Seecamp is a "last ditch save your hide defensive gun"................ as I can consistently hit a silhouette target at 25 yds with the R9 :) but cannot with the Seecamp 380.

Just bolsters my confidence in the R9 at distance..........

Purely only my opinions and not meant as a knock on the R9 design 8)................I like it the way it is :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 10:41:56 PM by eddie_c-clamp »

Offline Carter

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 07:45:09 AM »
Tom- You're right about the gun being a last ditch effort to save your hide and I agree that the mag release is in a good spot where it is........

But as a "WISH LIST" item, I would not mind a 1911 style release to make the gun easier to reload if you were to have to.........in case you've got bad aim like me and missed with the first 7 rds and the BG is still shootin at ya :P

I'm a little embarrassed to add to a 3 month old thread, but I got my R9S Stealth just a few weeks ago and thought I'd add a thought.

I also have an LCP which does have a "conventional" mag release. Noting that the LCP and R9S are similar in size and will be carried in similar fashion, I have had the Ruger "self eject" it's mag twice now. Once while taking it out of my front pocket at the end of the day, and once in a store when it pressed against a shelf I was leaning over and put some pressure on the mag release.

Those two incidents made me very happy to have the R9S mag release designed the way it is.
Additionally, I've practiced a bit doing quick mag changes with the R9S, and once you do it a few times, it's just as fast as a conventional pistol. Just different.

As I read through the "Wish List" here, I find that I "wish" that most of the things wished for are left alone.
The Rohrbaugh is alone in it's class, and it's design is perfect for it's intended use.
Some people can't help but tinker, but I'm the kind of guy who likes to leave something that works well, alone.  
 ;)

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 11:24:08 AM »
you are right on   Tom