Author Topic: The New Auto Mag Company  (Read 30645 times)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: The New Auto Mag Company
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2018, 06:35:17 PM »
I do not know of anyone named Lee Jurras being connected to S&W.

Lee Jurras was a noted handgunner and the owner of Super Vel Ammunition that really brought hollow points and high speed ammunition to handguns.  He was worldwide distributor for Auto Mag for two years and was an accomplished handgun hunter.  Harry Sanford gave him an Auto Mag chambered in 357 AMP and Lee took a documented 119 head of game on four continents with it not counting the hundreds and maybe over a thousand jack rabbits.

In 1979 he was awarded the Outstanding American Handgunner Award.

He and Kent Lomont mentioned above were from your state of Indiana.

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2018, 01:36:31 PM »
I do not know of anyone named Lee Jurras being connected to S&W.

Lee Jurras was a noted handgunner and the owner of Super Vel Ammunition that really brought hollow points and high speed ammunition to handguns.  He was worldwide distributor for Auto Mag for two years and was an accomplished handgun hunter.  Harry Sanford gave him an Auto Mag chambered in 357 AMP and Lee took a documented 119 head of game on four continents with it not counting the hundreds and maybe over a thousand jack rabbits.

In 1979 he was awarded the Outstanding American Handgunner Award.

He and Kent Lomont mentioned above were from your state of Indiana.

He was from Shelbyville, 20 miles away. I THOUGHT he went to S&W after his Super Vel days.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2018, 02:32:26 PM »
Lee Jurras died in April.  Here is an article written by John Taffen.

Some great pictures of the greats of handgunning after the article.  Lee was friends with them all.

https://americanhandgunner.com/lee-jurras/

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2018, 07:46:33 PM »
Digging up this older, but popular thread.

The Firearm Blog had a posting about the new Automag and it's magazines today.

Just thought some might be interested.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/04/13/automag-pistol-design-improvements-the-magazines/

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2018, 07:36:10 AM »
Digging up this older, but popular thread.

The Firearm Blog had a posting about the new Automag and it's magazines today.

Just thought some might be interested.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/04/13/automag-pistol-design-improvements-the-magazines/

That comes right off the Auto Mag website and was emailed to all of us that have AMP's on order.

They have shipped quite a few guns to those who do not want to wait for the improvements that are being tested right now.  All those that have shot their AMP's are very satisfied with them and say the accuracy, workmanship, and finish is outstanding.

I am a collector and I have a lot of AMP's already and decided to wait for the all the improvements before I take delivery.  Patrick, the owner, must have a lot more patience than I would have.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2020, 06:13:49 PM »
Saw this today and it reminded me of this thread.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2020, 07:03:02 PM »
The New Company had all kinds of start up problems but the owner stuck with it.  He was not going to turn out a bad product and treated me and all the others who had orders fairly.

They started shipping the day before Thanksgiving and I managed to get the first wo out the door at there new facility in South Carolina.  They are much nicer than I ever expected.

I have not had a chance to shoot them yet.

Here some pics.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 07:07:36 PM by MRC »

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2020, 07:05:12 PM »

Firepower!

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2020, 07:40:05 PM »
Very nice MRC, let us know how they shoot.

The dealer wanted to get rid of the pistol I posted.  Dropped a couple hundred by me just asking to take a picture.  Don't know a lot about them, is that a good price on the .22LR version?

Next show he 'may' attend is in February.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2020, 08:33:29 PM »

They are just a long barrel version of the AMT Lightning which is a Ruger Mark 2? copy. 

They came with a wooden box and in good shape with box they run $2000 to $2500.  They are in high demand but they never impressed me.

There is a lot of info if you google Baby Auto Mag.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2020, 12:12:26 PM »

Mike

You have probably already seen this but here is one that has been on there for a while as his price is way high.  He could probably get $2500 if he lowered the price.

That is the box they came in, very poorly built but everybody wants one for their BAM.

If you can get the one for $1600 or less, you are getting a fair deal if it is not all beat up.  They shoot good.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/882516722

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2020, 10:03:09 PM »
Thanks MRC,

It's not something that is of any real interest to me right now.  Doesn't fit any niche I'm collecting currently.

I posted it on here because I know some have an interest in these types of handguns, and wanted to get opinions on it.

If you, or anyone else, had posted that you had to have it for your collection I would do all I could to put the two parties in contact with each other.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2020, 08:06:05 AM »
I bought one years ago for $1200 and never shot it.  They just are not my thing but they are very popular.

Here is serial #1 that sold recently.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/885464780

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2020, 09:29:17 AM »
Wow, that was something.  Sure the seller was happy, bidding started at $2K and went to over $9K with a few active bidders.

I am surprised the one I saw hasn't shown up on GB.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2020, 07:47:42 PM »
Mike, this might interest you.

This Auto Mag is 45 years old believe it or not, made in 1975 by the late Lee Jurras.  Lee owned Super Vel Ammunition Company back in the 70's and is credited for developing the modern hollow point pistol ammunition.  Lee hunted all over the world and was awarded the Outstanding American Handgunner award.  Here is an article written about Lee by John Taffin.

https://americanhandgunner.com/discover/lee-jurras/#:~:text=The%20AutoMag,which
%20was%20basically%20a%20rimless%20.&text=357%20Auto%20Mag%20capable%20of,a%2015
8%2Dgrain%20jacketed%20bullet.

It is chambered for the 357 Auto Mag cartridge which is a rimless 44 Magnum necked down to 357.  158 grain bullets are propelled at close to 2000 fps from the 8 1/2" barrel.

I really like the case, it just screams 1970's.  The brace/buttstock dovetails into the pistol grip and is removeable.  This SBR is covered under Curio and Relics by the ATF.

Lee designed this for long range pistol hunting and targeted the "Executive Type Hunters".