Author Topic: Renewed facination with revolvers.  (Read 3901 times)

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Renewed facination with revolvers.
« on: November 17, 2021, 05:31:13 PM »
Over the past month or so I have found my self interested in revolvers again.

Started after selling some handguns for a friend, she requested I purchase an inexpensive revolver for her when she returns home from Africa.

After some thought, I decided on a Taurus 856.  A stainless steel .38 special that I could get with a 3 inch barrel.  Going for a bedside/car gun.  Not a everyday concealed carry item.  She's 70+ and while strong, weight may be an issue, but did not want a extra lightweight handgun that would be difficult to shoot with strong recoil. Decided 6 shots would be ideal, and not too heavy. (Like that Governor.) 

Ordered the pistol and when it arrived found the trigger pretty stiff.  I know it's a good safety system making you really want to pull it.  However it was north of 12 pounds.  Wolff Springs had a inexpensive reduced power spring set for it and that was ordered and installed.  Also picked up a set of laser grips for it.

Hopefully this will be ideal for her when she returns to Texas.

After showing the setup to a few other females, all liked the laser grips.  As in I want those on my handgun.  So we've got a set or Crimson Trace ordered for a restaurant owner and her S&W lightweight.  Got an aunt what wanted on also, but did not want to spend any money........well lets make a deal.  She has two Taurus 85s, identical and with them selling on Gunbroker for $300-325 we agreed on a price, with me ordering a set of Viridian grips for one and tossing in some cash to even it out.  (Went ahead and ordered a pair of those grips, so I'll have a set also.)

So I went from not being a revolver guy to picking up one and getting a bit excited about relearning that skill again.  I've just about always had one (first gun I ever purchased for a Ruger Old Army when I was old enough to buy it.), even went through the stage where I had to have a S&W Model 29 like Detective Callahan.  That passed, fortunately, LOL.  Only had a single D/A .357 that I would take out with new shooters so they could experience what they were.  Don't think I have fired it at the range in a decade or so, even though it's been shot quite a bit by others.

Nothing expensive, but looking forward to when the last set of grips get here and having a nice day at the range.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 05:34:31 PM by MikeInTexas »

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Re: Renewed facination with revolvers.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 05:32:47 PM »
This little gun is starting to grow on me.  Should have the laser grips next week.  And the gun is factory ported.

Gotta find a pocket holster for it this weekend.

(Still will not replace the R9 as daily carry.)

« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 05:37:26 PM by MikeInTexas »

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 09:34:12 PM »
I have a couple 357's, my wife's is a Ruger LCR that she shoots 38 specials with. Nice gun and grips from the factory, plus I got a great deal on it at the time!

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 08:32:51 AM »

I have always liked wheel guns.  I have been the only guy in a multi-day shooting class shooting a revolver at times.  LOL. 

I am sure you know this, but be careful to shoot the Taurus with the reduced power spring just to make sure ignition is 100%.  I have experimented with lighter springs for gaming guns and there is a point at which it doesn't go bang every time.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 10:15:42 AM »
Thanks for the advice Duane,

I'm planning on going to the range as soon as I get the second delivery of laser grips and sighting the gun in properly.  I'll put at least a box of target ammo through it before handing it over to her.  Any hiccups and it's back to the factory springs. 

One note I did not mention before, if you do decide to replace your springs on a Taurus, be careful when working on the new trigger return spring assembly.  First, you will probably have to shorten it, and second (most important) that guide rod is fragile.  If it snaps, you are in a tough situation as Taurus does not sell fire control parts to the public.  So that is months your gun will be gone and you will be out at least $50 for the return and min. repair charge.  That is unless you get extremely lucky and find one on ebay that fits.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 10:18:51 AM by MikeInTexas »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 09:06:17 AM »
I have revolvers and like them, but shoot them rarely, and not well with two and three inch barrels.  However, snubbies are, like the R9, basically “get off of me” guns, not for target practice.  Why not, you say?  Well they are not intended for target use but can be used so if one develops the eye/hand/trigger control muscle memory for that task.

If, however, the handgun is intended for self-protection, the “Rule of Threes” takes effect, i.e. most civilian gun battles occur at three yards, three shots in three seconds, and are nearly always point and shoot rather than aimed.  That being the case, I would recommend that, as do I, one practice at 3, 5 and 10 yards with man-size targets, point and shoot, ideally two center mass and one to the head un-aimed.

That begs the next question:  If the pistol is for emergency protection and there is really no time to aim if one wishes to survive, what possible use is there for a laser?  Literature and experts suggests that the time taken to acquire the laser dot is likely to be all the time you have left.  There may be an argument for home protection at night, but a Taurus Judge may be a better choice, particularly if penetration into a nearby structure is possible and frangible ammo is not used.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 10:27:15 AM »
backupr9, if she could have handled it, we'd have kept the Governor.  It's one more shot than the Judge and has the ability to shoot .45 ACP with the included moon clips.  However I am starting to learn that getting old sucks in some regards.  Strength and agility we used take for granted begins to leave us and females don't get a pass on it either.

One thing I did notice was when both of the other ladies (one in her 50s, other in her late 70s) picked up the laser equipped revolver they were able to instinctively able to get it on target before raising it to eye level.  After some practice, we were clearing purse and getting on a spot on the wall and clicking off 2 or 3 rounds pretty fast.  I know that is no substitute for range time, but sometimes you have to take what you can get.  The businesswoman has been working 12 hour days, 7 days a week for most of the past two years.  (fortunately this is beginning to lessen a bit)  Getting her to the range is problematic.  Her skills with a handgun have diminished at a time when she probably needs to be fairly proficient.  Going for simplicity to compensate for lack of practice is the best I can help her with right now.

I have stressed that the type of gun she carries (1911 style in .380) and this new set up are close range defensive weapons, carjacking, breaking into the restaurant after it's closed, home invasion type of tools.  However, I think it will take range time for her to realize that just because the laser can help you aim the gun across the house, you might not be able to hit something across the house with it.  10 yards you suggest will probably be our max range for most of the practice, when we get some.  The older ladies we are just going for getting it on paper at 5-7 yards and hoping for the best.

Wish me luck...................... :o

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2021, 01:34:06 PM »

There have been a lot of studies on this.  The projected laser dot (at close ranges anyway) is more effective than traditional sights for all the best trained folks.  People under duress have a hard time shifting focus from the thing that wants to kill them to the sights of the gun. 

If you are going to point/react and shoot then it may not matter.  But if you are going to try to take an aimed shot (at short distances), the laser is quite helpful.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 09:34:05 PM »
That is good to know.  I was hoping that was the case.

Lasers arrive tomorrow for two of the revolvers.  One will have it in time for a 3 day road trip on a lot of back roads in two weeks.  Texas has had a motorist protection act for sometime, any legal person could carry a loaded handgun in their car.  Now with the 'constitutional carry' in effect I think she will have a much better attitude toward carrying it more often.  Did not find a holster today at a local gun show, will probably suck it up and pay full retail for a pocket type sticky one from Academy.  Got a friend that is a seamstress and she will sew a generic holster into a custom one.  Might even ask for a few bullet loops out of elastic in the dead space.

Now the challenge will be getting these women to the range.....................wish me luck  ;D

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 09:41:22 AM »
Best of luck, Mike!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis