Author Topic: Skyy Review in CCM  (Read 5522 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Skyy Review in CCM
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2006, 10:42:06 PM »
My thinking on the ''carry a lot.......'' deal is simply that the R9 - and other sub'sized pocket guns - are in many ways on the cutting edge of miniaturization.

The design was primarily to achieve small - which means some concessions regarding mechanics - bit like looking at some sub compact 1911's, that are not always stellar over huge ammo thruput.

The most critical areas are mag's and recoil assemblies IMO - the smaller we go the harder become the timing problems.  I want a small gun - like us all - to be dead on reliable but do accept that to get this small we do not have a weekly plinker that is going to have to eat thousands of rounds.  ideally once some break in and good cleaning - the gun is very much semi retired to carry duty - with occasional sessions of limited practice.

IMO once the gun's feel has been mastered, with or without grip additions etc - then the time it might be needed will almost for sure be at ''bad breath'' distance - and that does not mean having to be able to hit a ten ring group with 6 shots!!

Opinions will vary still tho - much as anything because this is a pricey gun.  For me it is the definitive small 9mm platform and thankfully my early one and later one both perform well - the latter being occasional primary but mostly BUG.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline pocketgun

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2006, 03:16:05 AM »
Pocketgun,

I obtained it on arrangements from Skyy, through a local stocking dealer.  I honestly don't know if it was sent special for me or was part of that dealer's stock.

Duane (DDGator)

Thanks Duane!

Offline dfsutton

• Sharpshooter
  • US Veteran
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2006, 12:37:09 AM »
I must say that I thought I'd be able to put a ton of rounds through the pup in one session. I'd never problems from recoil on any other gun I've shot, including the full auto stuff I shot while in the military. Well, I guess I was wrong. After 40 rounds of 124 grain Gold Dots the web of my right hand had gone bright red and was super-tender. The next morning, that area had almost tripled in size. Shoot a little, carry a lot.
"All that is thought should not be said, all that is said should not be written, all that is written should not be published, all that is published should not be read."

- Rabbi Menachem Morgenstern

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2006, 07:48:25 PM »
The only irritation of body parts I get from shooting the R9 is on the front of my trigger finger.   Hand, wrist, no problem.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member