Author Topic: How to Sell a Collection of Rohrbaughs?  (Read 2989 times)

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
How to Sell a Collection of Rohrbaughs?
« on: April 16, 2021, 01:02:14 PM »
I am considering selling a rather large collection of some of the rarest Rohrbaughs but I don't know what the best way to go about it would be.

1. Break it up and list each on GB? Lots of work and relatively weak market currently.
2. Are there auction houses that sell items like this targeting serious collectors?
3. Is it even possible to buy/sell 10 or so handguns at a time?

Guns in Collection Include:
3x Elite Premium
2x Elites including the first one made with note from Eric.
Karl's personal carry gun. SN R9
No R prefix 117 and 118 R9 and R9s
R1000 engraved
321 no R prefix Silver Frame.

Thank you,
Ryan
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
Re: How to Sell a Collection of Rohrbaughs?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 01:34:47 PM »
Easiest way would be to donate them to my charity for a tax deduction. My charity involves giving disadvantaged members of the community who can't afford an R9 the chance to look at one on my social media page.

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 01:47:55 PM »
https://www.rockislandauction.com/

Has anyone ever used them?
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 02:51:26 PM »
I live in the same metro area as Rock Island Auction and know the President Kevin Hogan.

They do an excellent job on Collectible Colts and antiques, not so well on more modern or not widely known guns like Rohrbaughs.   I have never seen a Rohrbaugh on their auction.

Again, 17% seller's fee and 15% buyer's premium, gets the price up their in a hurry.  I have bought quite a few Auto Mags from them and I flip them to people I know or on GunBroker for good profits.

Personally, I would take my chances on GunBroker first.  JMO

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 03:22:54 PM »

You might also considering donating one to the Rohrbaugh Forum museum, located in my garage in Florida.   ;)

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 04:04:35 PM »
Auction fees can be steep & suppress a realistic sales price. The last time I had a sizable collection of Rohrbaugh's for sale, I posted all of them on this Forum & they all sold pretty quickly to a realistic savvy buyer from this Forum.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 05:54:41 PM »
Nice to see you around Ryan, hope all is well with you.  I'm still taking good care of the Robar...

As far as buying 10 handguns at a time... Federal law does not limit the number of guns a person may buy in any given time period. However, the law does require FFLS to report "multiple sales" of handguns to ATF and other specified law enforcement agencies.  I remember having this convo with my FFL a few years back when I had purchased multiple hand guns in a short amount of time.

Under 18 U.S.C. § 923(g)(3)(A) “Multiple sales” are defined as the sale of two or more handguns by a federally licensed firearms dealer to a non-FFL purchaser within five consecutive business days. 

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 10:59:43 PM »
Nice to see you around Ryan, hope all is well with you.  I'm still taking good care of the Robar...

As far as buying 10 handguns at a time... Federal law does not limit the number of guns a person may buy in any given time period. However, the law does require FFLS to report "multiple sales" of handguns to ATF and other specified law enforcement agencies.  I remember having this convo with my FFL a few years back when I had purchased multiple hand guns in a short amount of time.

Under 18 U.S.C. § 923(g)(3)(A) “Multiple sales” are defined as the sale of two or more handguns by a federally licensed firearms dealer to a non-FFL purchaser within five consecutive business days.

I've run into this when acquiring multiple guns for review.  Essentially the FFL fills out an additional form that gets sent to ATF.  In theory they could pay you a visit and ask to see the guns.  I've never heard of that happening to anyone I know.  It is mostly about making sure you are not buying multiple guns for resale as some type of illegal dealer.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2021, 10:22:47 AM »
I think you may run into market saturation with all ten at the same time.  We don't have a large buying community for this specialized handgun.  Same thing if you go the auction house route.  Too many may drive the price on each to a very low level to get sold.

I would list them on a local (if you have a state focused site) and a national site like Gunbroker and only put one or two up at a time.

Also think about gun-centric forums like this one, The High Road and others that cater to gun owners.

Good luck with your sale.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2021, 11:56:40 AM »
If you go the Gunbroker route, it's a good idea to make the auction longer than you would on something like a Glock where you have thousands of auction views in a week. If you make it 10 days to two weeks, you'll get the Rohrbaugh guys who only casually check Gunbroker every few weeks.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 06:42:20 PM »
Hello Ryan. . . . . I remember meeting you one the road years ago and you showed me your collection. Very impressive to say the least!  Good Luck with your sale. I've seen them and they are all top draw examples of our gun.

Regards,

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 09:28:44 AM »
Thank you everyone for your input - it is much appreciated and for the most part what I expected. I will be responding to the PMs shortly as well. I will try to get a photo of them all together before selling off some select ones to start. Thanks again.

Best,
Ryan
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2021, 08:30:37 PM »
Sounds like you want to sell the group all at once. I know very few that have the ability to do that buy.
    If you could sell singles at a time you may have better luck!
    When you do sell I’m sure I wouldn’t be the only one that would love to see any of those putty pups!! 8)

Whatever you decide good luck on your sale(s)!
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe